Null

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. There go those damn Democrats again trying to screw with elections via mail fraud. Oh wait, it was a Republican? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/07/10/west-virginia-mail-carrier-guilty-election-fraud-altered-ballot-requests/5412010002/
  3. You simply cannot drink any beer in quantity and expect to lose weight unless you're a distance runner or something. Lite, ultra, whatever... *exaggerated wanking motion* I have a friend who quit drinking beer but stayed on brown liquor and quickly lost like 15 lbs without changing anything else.
  4. Man... We're going to have A LOT of depth and position issues coming up. For one, there's the plague threatening everything and has already affected the normalcy of this year's season assuming we still have one. Fewer games means fewer reps to potential satisfy the current talent we have onboard, though we all know that's an inevitably anyway. I dunno what MommaWorm thinks but I suspect Shivers will get plenty of action at the "Change of pace" role so I can't forsee him departing anytime soon. If I'm reading the Tea Leaves, it seems that Lead-Back spot maybe a 1a/1b between Williams and Bigsby. If that's so I can't see Anthony-Richards staying barring a position change. Joiner has had his niche roles such as the "Wheel-Route Guy" and "Wildcat QB" but even that seems to be challenged with the arrival of many newcomers from the 2020 class. We will wait and see, but I suspect if he gets lapped at those spots then he will split as well. Miller may still see some time in the pass-blocking role but then again if Joiner grows into that "Charles Clay" role as Malzahn pitched to him, then Miller might become an afterthought and the previous analysis nullified. Another consideration... his eligibility will be up after this season. The competition vacuum could encourage a back who's waivering to stay another year and compete. But yeah. Lots of questions.
  5. Conspiracy theory or not someone is going to take her out.
  6. @SaltyTiger I drank Coors light for 25years. My wife urged me to drink Ultra because of carbs. I liked it so I went maybe a year and a half with nothing to show. It’s about 5-6$ a 12 pack more expensive. So I went back and found that I didn’t like the taste Coors light anymore. I’m on Bud Lite now. Upon some quick research one of my hunting buddies showed their was hardly any difference between Ultra and other light beers as far as calories.
  7. I read it in my head with a Russian accent!!
  8. i posted that to shake up the trumpsters. i am not a commie but i will claim all the hippy stuff...............
  9. Someone forgot to tell the millennials!!! LMAO
  10. Federal Officials Reportedly 'Worried' Epstein Associate Ghislaine Maxwell May Attempt to Kill Herself Yahoo 3 minutes Special safety protocols and protection measures are being taken regarding the lock-up of Ghislaine Maxwell, who was arrested in New Hampshire earlier this month on allegations of having "assisted, facilitated, and contributed to Jeffrey Epstein's abuse of minor girls." An Associated Press report filed Thursday cites an official "familiar with the matter" as saying that federal officials were "worried' following the arrest that Maxwell might attempt suicide. Per the report, Maxwell's clothes and sheets were taken away and she was made to wear "paper attire" in custody. Furthermore, now that Maxwell is behind bars at a federal jail in New York City, the Justice Department has put in place an additional assortment of protocols. For example, federal officials have been ordered to ensure there's constant protection at the site. Additional measures being taken include making sure Maxwell is never alone in a cell, is routinely monitored, and more. Epstein, as has been widely discussed, died by apparent suicide while in custody at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York City last year. "Maxwell enticed minor girls, got them to trust her, and then delivered them into the trap that she and Jeffrey Epstein had set," Acting U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss said earlier this month when announcing Maxwell's arrests. "She pretended to be a woman they could trust. All the while, she was setting them up to be abused sexually by Epstein and, in some cases, Maxwell herself." Maxwell has been charged with, among other things, enticement of a minor to travel to engage in illegal sex acts and perjury.
  11. By Philip Bump July 10, 2020 at 9:46 a.m. EDT President Trump has consistently argued that the reason the number of coronavirus cases is again rising is that the number of tests being conducted has increased. That isn’t why cases are increasing, but it’s easy to see why he claims it: It turns an obvious negative into a positive, given that the country is finally conducting widespread testing. In a conversation with his friend Sean Hannity that aired Thursday night on Fox News, though, the president went further. The subtext became overt. “We do testing like nobody's ever done testing,” Trump said. “And when we test, the more you test, the more cases you find.” “What we’ve done,” he added later, “is we’ve created tremendous number of cases.” And all that testing, he continued, is “the greatest thing that ever happened for the opposite party.” This was one of three occasions the same day on which Trump overlapped his coronavirus response with partisan politics. At a White House event on Thursday afternoon, he demanded that schools reopen, describing opposition to doing so as “political nonsense.” “It’s only political nonsense,” he added. “It’s politics. They don’t want to open because they think it will help them on Nov. 3.” In an interview with conservative radio host Howie Carr, Trump sympathized with complaints about efforts to contain the virus, such as mandated use of masks in states like New Jersey and Maine. “You have a governor in Maine that won’t let people even look at each other,” Trump said. “I’ve never seen anything like what’s going on with these — it’s really the blue governors, and they haven’t done very well.” A lot of this is simply finger-pointing. Carr is complaining about masks, so Trump says it’s the fault of Maine Gov. Janet Mills (D). Trump knows that people want schools open, so he blames Democrats for keeping them closed. But that comment to Hannity is something else. It’s Trump recognizing that the pandemic is a political liability for him, something reinforced in new ABC News-Ipsos polling. Two-thirds of the country think he’s handling the coronavirus poorly, including more than a fifth of Republicans. Tests lead to cases, which leads to criticism, Trump seems to believe, so he’s mad at the tests. The tests, like so many other things, are just the universe arraying against Donald J. Trump. The staggering shortsightedness of this! Consider Trump's complaint to Hannity alone. We cut out a lot of it (it went on for about 40 seconds), but the upshot was that the case totals are amplified by how many tests the United States conducts, catching people who maybe have mild or no symptoms. Other countries, he said, only tested patients at hospitals or when someone has strong symptoms. We have cases all over the place,” he said. “Most of those cases immediately get better. They get, you know, people, they’re young people, they have sniffles and two days later, they’re fine and they’re not sick, just sort of — they’re asymptomatic.” “Everybody else — can you imagine if China tested like we test? They don’t,” he added later. “Can you imagine if other big countries, the bigger countries tested like we — or Germany! We’ve tested many, many, many times, even proportionately the number of people that other countries have tested.” What’s interesting about this articulation is that it gives us a better sense of what Trump’s actually annoyed about. He’s annoyed, in short, that asymptomatic cases are being detected and counted in the totals. That’s why he keeps saying (falsely) that the negative effects of the virus are felt only by a tiny percentage of those who contract it: He’s trying to reinforce that most of the cases the United States is reporting are — reading between the lines — not “real” cases, not dangerous ones. He’s long been more worried about the reported number of cases than the actual patients those numbers represent. In March, he explicitly said that he preferred not to bring passengers onshore from a cruise ship docked off California because it would increase the number of cases the United States was reporting. But he’s oblivious to the fact that broad testing that identifies asymptomatic cases actually helps him over the long term. As does taking a cautious approach to reopening schools. As does having people wear masks. These are the sorts of things that will slowly mitigate the pandemic, by, in order, allowing for those exposed to the virus to be quarantined, by ensuring that schools don’t serve as super-spreading environments and by preventing common person-to-person transmission. These are, really, minimal efforts that should be implemented to alleviate the pandemic. Pushing infections downward will help push Trump’s approval numbers upward. The problem is that this takes a while, and it necessitates telling people things they don’t want to hear. It means Trump having to tell people to wait. It means Trump himself being patient and not gauging his success on Tucker Carlson’s nightly monologues. It means Trump having to encourage people to respond to contact tracers and to accept limited school schedules and to have to wear masks or social distance. Trump knows that people won’t like these things and, more importantly to him, that his base may not. An Economist-YouGov poll conducted earlier this week found that 7 in 10 Americans support a mandatory mask policy. That includes a majority of Republicans — but only 4 in 10 of those who support Trump in the November election. For a president focused obsessively and repeatedly on ensuring that his base turns out to vote for him, that number is a cautionary one. Trump’s articulation of how other countries are testing is wrong, by the way. Countries such as South Korea aren’t testing as much because they don’t need to. They tested a lot early, traced contacts of infected individuals and contained the spread of the virus. The government has deployed a robust system for containing outbreaks, and the country has moved toward normalcy. In fact, it did so months ago. That Trump somehow can’t see this, can’t see that asymptomatic people need to be identified and can’t see that wearing masks is essential and can’t see that opening schools is more fraught than simply declaring them to be open — a lesson he should have learned when he pushed for the economy to reopen — is nothing short of baffling. All of this is predictable. All of the experts have outlined different paths to different outcomes, and Trump keeps marching down riskier ones while complaining about how China is making him do it. return to this chart, which I made yesterday and which, I think, summarizes Trump's approach to the virus very neatly. The Republican Party announced in 2018 that it would hold its convention in Charlotte. This spring, though, Trump learned that the city was insisting on maintaining mask and social distancing rules, things that Trump saw as opposed to the aesthetic he wanted as he accepted his second nomination: a big, cheering crowd. The city of Jacksonville has no similar containment standards, so Trump eagerly transitioned his speech to Florida. Now, even if you don't know what happened, you know what happened. Charlotte's efforts to contain the virus meant a smaller surge in new cases. Jacksonville's failure to do so had the opposite effect, like so. So now Jacksonville is more likely to have precisely the sort of rules that Trump was hoping to avoid in the first place. This, Trump would likely say, is all someone else’s fault. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/07/10/trumps-ongoing-shortsightedness-about-pandemic-may-be-sealing-his-fate/
  12. That isn't politically correct to say these days......remember you need to be gender neutral!!😜
  13. yahoo.com Yahoo 4 minutes Photo credit: Mark Humphrey/AP/Shutterstock From Esquire You can dismiss the movement to remove Confederate monuments from the public square as a kind of aesthetic justice. Isn't this a new paint job for a crumbling house? And it's very much true that throwing Robert E. Lee's likeness in the river—or in a museum accompanied by proper historical context—does little to change the fact that the average white household controls 10 times more wealth than the average Black family does. It doesn't change who gets a decent loan and who doesn't. It doesn't address the collapsing school systems in overwhelmingly segregated neighborhoods, or the school-to-prison pipeline, or the fact that Black Americans face harsher treatment at every stage of the criminal-justice system: policing, arrest, charges, conviction, sentencing. But it isn't an empty gesture. These statues were put up for a reason. They were placed in the halls of government or at the local courthouse or towering above the town square to communicate that the racial hierarchy their subjects fought for—one where Black Americans were pronounced less than fully human so that they could be denied the rights of citizenship—is alive and well. Some people make the rules around here, the statues tell us, and other people live under them. They were dressed up in the iconography of heroism, just as the core animating force of the Confederacy—white supremacy—was in the decades after papered over with Lost Cause mythology, false history that held up traitors to the American republic as heroes. But the underlying message was clear, which is why every time one of these monuments is set to come down, the white supremacists show up to demand it be kept up. It's not a coincidence that the KKK showed up in Charlottesville. Speaking of the Ku Klux Klan, the halls of the Tennessee state capitol will no longer host a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest. He was a former slave trader who became a Confederate lieutenant general accused of various atrocities, particularly at Fort Pillow. Already not a guy who needs a statue. After he lost the war—it's important to remember these people were losers—Forrest went on to become the Klan's first Grand Wizard. This guy ran the Ku Klux Klan, and they put his statue in the state legislature...in 1978. The state's capitol commission voted to remove the bust on Thursday, which is a big deal considering the same measure failed in 2017. It also seems like a big deal to these folks. Nathan's headed for a museum, which is a win, even if it's hard to discern the historical value of a statue glorifying a Confederate psycho that was put up when Jimmy Carter was president. It's a victory because a monument to a traitor to the American republic, who then turned to racial terrorism, has no place in the building where laws are made. Forrest and his fellow travelers are icons of lawlessness, of violence in service to power. Honoring them is incompatible with building a just society where all citizens are equal before that same law, and can claim the full rights of citizenship. Justice is not made beneath the leering gaze of a world-historical monster. It's a first step, but it cannot be the last one. in fairness i read a biography and whether truth or lies it said bedford spent the latter parts of his lies defending slaves in court and trying to help them rise from their current station in life. this of course could be hogwash but i read it. they also claimed the massacre was a mistake that got out of hand and he was not even there. they said he owned slaves but was fair and never broke families up. i would love to know the truth but man that is a lot of digging. one thing everyone can agree on is he was one of the bravest men to fight in the civil war. again i am just throwing this out there to be fair and in no way justifying slavery at all.
  14. I know my wife was laughing so hard tears started coming
  15. From your link: The Supreme Court will rule this morning on whether Trump’s tax documents must be turned over to criminal and congressional investigators who have lawfully subpoenaed them. Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to block his taxes from being released, making legally dubious arguments that lower courts have repeatedly ruled against. Trump believes he is above the law, cannot be criminally prosecuted, and should be able to hide his taxes from the American people. So what is Trump so desperate to hide? Likely a decades-long scheme of stealing from American taxpayers. Reporting has already revealed Trump’s long history of tax fraud, dubiously avoiding taxes, and potentially paying bribes to lower his tax bill. To cover up his years of tax fraud, Trump has lied about his taxes, broken with decades of precedent and refused to release his returns after pledging to do so, and gone to extraordinary lengths to block his taxes from being released. The American people deserve to know the depth of Trump’s corruption. Trump broke with decades of precedent and refused to release his tax returns after saying for years that he would if he ran, and suggesting that candidates are hiding something if they don’t. Every major presidential candidate since 1976 had released at least one full tax return. 2012 — TRUMP: “If you didn’t see the tax returns you would think there is almost like something wrong. What’s wrong?” 2014 — TRUMP: “If I decide to run for office, I’ll produce my tax returns, absolutely.” 2016 — TRUMP: “Well, we’re working on that now. I have very big returns, as you know, and I have everything all approved and very beautiful and we’ll be working that over in the next period of time, Chuck. Absolutely.” 2016 — DICKERSON: Your tax returns, when are we going to see them? TRUMP: “I would say, over the next three, four months. We’re working on them very hard.” Trump repeatedly lied to Americans about his taxes and falsely claimed his returns wouldn’t provide any new information. Washington Post: “Trump falsely claims that voters would learn nothing from his tax returns. To the contrary, voters would learn a lot of information that Trump has long tried to hide from the public. … Four Pinocchios.” PolitiFact: “Trump said that he has ‘released the most extensive financial review of anybody in the history of politics. … You don’t learn much in a tax return.’ … However, experts consider that a red herring. Unlike all presidential nominees since 1980, Trump has not released his tax returns, which experts say would offer valuable details on his effective tax rate, the types of taxes he paid, and how much he gave to charity, as well as a more detailed picture of his income-producing assets. Trump’s statement is inaccurate. We rate it False.” Trump broke his promises and repeatedly sued to block his taxes from being released to criminal and congressional investigators. Washington Post: “Trump sued his own accounting firm and the Democratic chairman of the House Oversight Committee at the same time Monday — trying an unusual tactic to stop the firm from giving the committee details about Trump’s past financial dealings.” New York Times: “Trump, his three eldest children and his private company filed a federal lawsuit on Monday against Deutsche Bank and Capital One, in a bid to prevent the banks from responding to congressional subpoenas.” CNBC: “Trump on Thursday filed a lawsuit against Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. and his longtime accounting firm, days after news broke that the prosecutor had subpoenaed years of Trump’s personal and corporate tax returns.” Trump’s arguments against the subpoenas are legally dubious and have been repeatedly dismissed by courts. Part of Trump’s argument is based on an 1880 Supreme Court decision that had already been overturned for nearly a century. Trump also argued he could never be criminally prosecuted — an untested and legally dubious argument. Trump and Barr once again politicized the Department of Justice to aid Trump’s defense against subpoenas for his financial records. Courts again and again sided against Trump and upheld congressional and criminal subpoenas for his financial records. What we do know: Trump paid close to nothing in taxes for at least five years. Politico: “Trump appears to have paid no taxes for two years in early 1990s” Washington Post: “The last time Donald Trump’s income-tax returns were made public, the bottom line was striking: He had paid the federal government $0 in income taxes.” New York Times: “In 1978 and 1979, the report said, Mr. Trump paid no federal income taxes.” New York Times: “Tax court records indicate that Mr. Trump also avoided paying any federal income taxes in 1984.” New York Times: “Donald J. Trump declared a $916 million loss on his 1995 income tax returns, a tax deduction so substantial it could have allowed him to legally avoid paying any federal income taxes for up to 18 years, records obtained by The New York Times show.” Trump has repeatedly bragged about avoiding paying taxes. TRUMP: “Of course” I avoided paying federal income taxes using a loss from 1995. TRUMP: “She said maybe you didn’t pay taxes and I said well, that would make me smart because tax is a big payment.” CNBC: “Trump brags about not paying taxes: ‘That makes me smart’” Trump stole from the American people by participating in tax fraud to build his fortune. Trump participated in “dubious tax schemes” and “outright fraud” to avoid taxes on the current equivalent of at least $413 million given to him by his father. Trump’s family even used shell companies to siphon off millions of dollars by marking up purchases they had already made. The Trumps’ scheme for tax dodging also enabled them to fraudulently increase rent on thousands of tenants in rent-controlled apartments. New York Times: “Tax experts briefed on The Times’s findings said the Trumps appeared to have done more than exploit legal loopholes. They said the conduct described here represented a pattern of deception and obfuscation.” Trump has a long and fraudulent history of avoiding state and local taxes — even potentially paying bribes to get out of paying his fair share. ProPublica: “Trump’s Company Paid Bribes to Reduce Property Taxes, Assessors Say” When Trump was sworn into office, he was fighting at least a half dozen tax bills from local and state governments across the country — creating conflicts of interest. Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to lower his state and local tax bills — suing Palm Beach County five years in a row, filing six lawsuits in New York City, and lobbying for a tax break for his golf course.
  16. A republic is a type of democracy. Ours is clearly outmoded and organized to be anti-democratic as the past few years have proven. It needs to be changed. I would love for the entire nation to be more like California and New York in terms of diversity and progressive thinking. You sound like some sort of backwoods elitist - "mob" rule.
  17. For years I started my day by going for a 1 mile walk with my dog. It's really not much, it only takes 15-30 mins, and it absolutely changes the tone of your day. I need to start doing it again with the 1 yr old in the stroller. As for real workouts, just gotta find the time again. I always think about Italy. Those folks eat extremely well and don't seem to "work out" much, but are generally in pretty good shape. As far as I can tell, it's because they don't eat much junk/fast food, they don't binge drink, and they walk a lot. Tends to be true of other places I've been where folks are generally healthier, to include major American metros. Was true for me for a time.
  18. Couldnt be more wrong. Just make a real commitment to us that things are going to actually...you know..IMPROVE, and we will be all in...
  19. Fortunately I don't think the director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases has the authority to make that call.
  20. Today
  21. If it is to improve the academics, yes. Unfortunately, there are other reasons being used here too.
  22. Of course, this excerpt from one speech does not represent the totality of Lincoln’s views on race and racial equality, but the remarks were far from a complete outlier, and Lincoln’s views were more complex and uncomfortable than the prevalent modern impression of him as the racially-enlightened Great Emancipator. We spoke to Columbia University historian Eric Foner, author of several books on Lincoln, including The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery. “There’s no question that: one, before the Civil War, Lincoln hated slavery. He always did,” Foner told us: During the Civil War, Foner says, Lincoln’s views evolved radically as he was exposed to black people such as Frederick Douglass, who were far more talented than he had assumed, and as the efforts of freed slaves in the Union army earned them, in Lincoln’s view, the right to citizenship. i am not a lincoln hater by any means and i believe he was a great man. but i wanted to shake the tree a little. we all have faults and even with his he rose up to free them EVEN tho his own state still had slaves another year or two after the war was over. i read that in a historical novel. lee was no saint either but not over slaves as it is not the point i will make about him. he and grant fought and because grant claimed he won the battle lee refused to let the union folks remove their wounded from the field so many on both sides died. but i guess politics was big back then as well.
  23. Jeez, what an awful take. Every part of it. And that is different at Howard because...?
  24. https://mobile.twitter.com/ReynoldsJD/status/1281222803166056448
  25. FWIW Chad Simmons posted he thinks AU leads for Nyland Green & has felt that way for weeks now.
  26. For the same reasons most elite, white collar criminals get away with it.
  1. Load more activity