MNC Game

AUGreen03

I don't normally post, but I am a frequent visitor and reader, but a thought crossed my mind this morning and I was wondering what ya'lls thoughts are. This is only a theory, but also a very likely scenario.

1) If Auburn wins out including the SEC Championship game.

2) If Oregon drops a game, especially that last game against Oregon State. (No, Oregon St. is not that great, but it's a rivalry game, and it's why you play the game.) Any loss this late in the season can be detrimental to any teams chances to make it in to the MNC game, but a loss in the last game of the year really hurts you when you don't play a conference championship game.

3) If LSU wins out. (Looking at their schedule, they should. Arky could pose a problem, but I think they handle them with their defense.)

Coupled with high computer ranking (they were 6 in computer polls last and will definetly move up this week), do you think that the human voters rank LSU high enough to see an Auburn-LSU rematch in the championship in spite of LSU not making it into SEC Championship game?

There a lot of "ifs" in there but you left three out.  If TCU loses a game.  If Boise loses a game.  If Wisconsin loses a game.  Then a rematch could happen.

I just have a feeling Oregon will lose...could be wrong, but have that feeling.

If they don't and we don't, we're on a collision course.

Next in line is TCU...then Boise.  If TCU and/or Boise continue to win, NOBODY behind them at the present will jump them.  The only chance a 1 loss team goes to the MNC over TCU or Boise is if Oregon loses a close game...and I still don't think it'd happen (and I am very confident that there's no room for error for us...we must win out to be there).  I feel certain the media likes them enough that in order to be ahead of them this year (now that Bama has lost), you must be undefeated.

Yeah, The OSU-Michigan scenario crossed my mind as well (I'm glad LSU got a chance to go that year because they are an SEC team, but don't feel they necessarily deserved it. Even though I hated to admit it. I thought OSU and Michigan should have gotten a chance to replay based solely on the records.). And I know that I left out Boise and TCU losing a game in the scenario. But there are alot of people who think that a one loss SEC team should still go to MNC game over an unbeaten Non-AQ team. Wisconsin could make a claim as well.

Again, this is obviously just a theory/possible scenario. I just think that the AU-LSU game happened early enough in the season that LSU has a chance to get back into good graces with the voters as opposed to Michigan that year that lost their last regular season game.

isn't there a rule that  you have to win your conference to play in the MNC?  

No

In 2001, Nebraska played in the BCSNCG despite not even PLAYING in their own conference championship game.

• 2 months later...

Well, to be honest, I haven't thought of it that way since the BCS started. I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the BCS. At the very least, there IS a championship game now, even if it is a "beauty pageant" for which two teams make it there. What I think of as mythical is back in 83 when the top three teams all played in different bowls, #1 and #2 lost, #3 won but remained #3. THAT makes the "national championship" mythical. A team losing twice and finishing third in the conference but still claiming a national championship based on a computer poll is mythical.

But that's just me. :dunno:

It's still the MNC...MAGICAL National Championship!! 

Because that is the only word that can be used to describe this season....

It's still the MNC...MAGICAL National Championship!! 

Because that is the only word that can be used to describe this season....

I disagree; I think there's a better word for this season: DESTINY. ;)

Well, to be honest, I haven't thought of it that way since the BCS started. I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the BCS. At the very least, there IS a championship game now, even if it is a "beauty pageant" for which two teams make it there. What I think of as mythical is back in 83 when the top three teams all played in different bowls, #1 and #2 lost, #3 won but remained #3. THAT makes the "national championship" mythical. A team losing twice and finishing third in the conference but still claiming a national championship based on a computer poll is mythical.

But that's just me. :dunno:

I'm with you there. Even if it's not a playoff, and there are still teams left out, it's the most legitimate championship we have for football right now. At least it's not completely based on a beauty contest.

Archived