Let's talk recruiting...Updated 1/19

I think Mason is the safe pick, and those of you who have heard me talk about him know that I would LOVE that, but I do think both Huggins and Crowell are higher on the coaches' board. Either way, Mason should give us an indication of what's going to happen by whether or not he commits to Auburn after his final visit. If he commits to us, then it's obvious either he's higher on the board than we give him credit for or he is the highest on the board who is on board, so to speak. If he commits elsewhere, we get Huggins or Crowell, because he's not going anywhere else if he can come to Auburn. If he delays his announcement, then we're waiting on Huggins and/or Crowell to decide.

I do think we get both Drew and Roberson, and I think both get their fifth star on rivals. Same with Westerman, on both counts. (On the topic of stars, for some reason I get the sneaky suspicion that Greg Robinson will not get a fifth star.)

I also think Coleman counts toward next year.

TIFWIW

Huggins has grown in popularity over the past few weeks and some think hes on the same level as Crowell. Mason runs tough and hes very elusive... he may not quite have the SEC body just yet being at 190... but he can gain weight when he arrives at Auburn.

Crowell and Huggins just seem like they are physically ready to roll in the SEC a lot like Dyer and Lattimore.

Mason is no joke though... that kid is dangerous in the open field and hes also low to the ground and would be a huge compliment to Dyer and McCalebb, as well as Calloway because of his speed.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the three... so I would certainly be happy to take any of them.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope we can pull huggins that would be sweet.These silient commits need to get a move on b/c there is alot more gonna be knockn the door down now that were 2011 National Champions :we::wedance:

You do realize a silent commit is the same as a public commit as far as the coaches are concerned

Huggins has grown in popularity over the past few weeks and some think hes on the same level as Crowell. Mason runs tough and hes very elusive... he may not quite have the SEC body just yet being at 190... but he can gain weight when he arrives at Auburn.

Crowell and Huggins just seem like they are physically ready to roll in the SEC a lot like Dyer and Lattimore.

Mason is no joke though... that kid is dangerous in the open field and hes also low to the ground and would be a huge compliment to Dyer and McCalebb, as well as Calloway because of his speed.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the three... so I would certainly be happy to take any of them.

Well, they're just different types of backs. Mason is more of a Noel Devine, speedster with moves and a little bit of power. Crowell reminds me of Ronnie Brown, because he's big and fast, maybe not as shifty as some but still elusive. Huggins reminds me, interestingly enough, of Carnell Williams: a slasher with speed, deceptive power, and great instincts as a runner. All of them have the potential to contribute early if they can pick up blocking schemes, but because of the presence of OMac, Mason would be the most likely to redshirt, and a year in the weight room certainly won't do him wrong, not with Yox directing him.

As BCS champs, this should draw in MORE top recruits from all over.

That'll happen next year. The national championship is more of icing on the cake for this year's recruits, but the only players it will have any kind of impact on are the ones on the borderline currently...and I don't think there are more than one or two who are on the borderline about whether or not they want to come to Auburn.

Put another way: this class is all but done. The national championship will make a HUGE impact on 2012 recruiting, though, because it gets our foot in the door with recruits who otherwise wouldn't have paid attention...and with this staff, merely getting an in is all that is needed.

As BCS champs, this should draw in MORE top recruits from all over.

That'll happen next year. The national championship is more of icing on the cake for this year's recruits, but the only players it will have any kind of impact on are the ones on the borderline currently...and I don't think there are more than one or two who are on the borderline about whether or not they want to come to Auburn.

Put another way: this class is all but done. The national championship will make a HUGE impact on 2012 recruiting, though, because it gets our foot in the door with recruits who otherwise wouldn't have paid attention...and with this staff, merely getting an in is all that is needed.

You nailed it. That is what this championship will do for us more than anything. It will spark initial interest and give our staff a chance.

On the topic of stars, for some reason I get the sneaky suspicion that Greg Robinson will not get a fifth star.

TIFWIW

I have the same suspicion.

So where does this class, assuming the Mayor is correct give-or-take one, rank up there with the other? I would say between 5 and 7.

I have a question: Why is the next recruiting class the one that is really boosted by the national championship? Not trying to be smart, it's an honest question. I see that it was correct for Alabama as well. Like them or not, they are having a great year of recruiting this time around, and we already are doing well for 2012 as I understand it. I would think that this help us greatly, but I'm curious as to why it helps so much? I'd just like to get some perspective, thanks and keep up the great work folks.

I have a question: Why is the next recruiting class the one that is really boosted by the national championship? Not trying to be smart, it's an honest question. I see that it was correct for Alabama as well. Like them or not, they are having a great year of recruiting this time around, and we already are doing well for 2012 as I understand it. I would think that this help us greatly, but I'm curious as to why it helps so much? I'd just like to get some perspective, thanks and keep up the great work folks.

I have done an in-depth analysis in another thread. The 3rd season after winning the title actually is the one boosted not the first one after.

Because by the time we won the national championship, most of the recruits in this year's class have already molded their opinions of which program fits them best, and even something as huge as an NC won't persuade them. Next year's class, however, is still wide open to being courted...and if nothing else, the ability to say the national champs want their signature is a big selling point to make them want to check it out.

And like we've said, that's all this staff needs.

So where does this class, assuming the Mayor is correct give-or-take one, rank up there with the other? I would say between 5 and 7.

Look on this post from the Rivals thread. I break it down there. 5 to 7 is what happens if we do not get players like Westy and Drew. Mayor's projection is the same as Bigbird's and ranges from 1st to 4th.

Well give me your expected list of the 7 to 9 players you think we get and I will post the current projected numbers from Rivals and Scout and also predict where i think it puts us on ESPN.

Westerman

Drew

roberson

florense

wright

fulse

Mason

Well Big Bird that list would close us with a total  of 4818 on Scout as things stand right now and would blow the Turds out of the water and be #2 behind the Noles. On Rivals it is reasonable to expect Westy, Drew and MR to get their 5th* we would finish at 2672 and would challenge FSU and the Turds for the #1 Spot. If G Rob also gets his 5th * then the total would be 2776 and put the Tigers as odds on favorite to finish #1. and on ESPN we would have 2 5* and 11 ESPNU 150 players and 16 4* players which would put us neck-n-neck with the Noles for the #1 class on ESPN...and yes, all these calculation take into account Aaron Lynch decommitting from FSU.

I don't care about ESPN's recruiting rankings.. They just go by how many players you sign out of there own Top 150 and rank teams from there.. There are many players that are very good not in that Top 150.

I don't care about ESPN's recruiting rankings.. They just go by how many players you sign out of there own Top 150 and rank teams from there.. There are many players that are very good not in that Top 150.

There is more to ESPN's rankings than their 150. Unfortunately there is no formula or anything for them.

There is more to ESPN's rankings than their 150. Unfortunately there is no formula or anything for them.

I kinda like how Luginbill puts alot of emphasis on filling needs. Who cares if uat signs 7 players to play their 1 Jack LB position?

I kinda like how Luginbill puts alot of emphasis on filling needs. Who cares if uat signs 7 players to play their 1 Jack LB position?

I agree. There was one year uat was #1 in Scout and Rivals but not ESPN because Luginbill said they did not fill their needs.

Let's say you could have any 7 recruits that we are onto and on "their" board, who would it be?  Not who you think it will be necessarily, but if we could have the 7 "best case senario" commits.

Westerman

Kouandjio

Drew

Wright

Florence

Roberson

Crowell

Let's say you could have any 7 recruits that we are onto and on "their" board, who would it be?  Not who you think it will be necessarily, but if we could have the 7 "best case senario" commits.

Westerman

Kouandjio

Drew

Wright

Florence

Roberson

Crowell

I think we get 5 of those.

Westerman

Kouandjio

Drew

Wright

Florence

Roberson

Crowell

I'd actually prefer Huggins to Crowell at this point, but other than that I agree that would be the best case scenario.

Archived