Field Probem in Glendale Explained

cptau

I bet it would have been a totally different game had the roof been open... Auburn winning by 3 or 4 more touchdowns.

Both teams were slipping.  This may not be a popular thing to post on this board but, IMHO, better traction would have favored Oregon and the slick field took them more out of their offensive game plan than it did Auburn's.  It hurt both teams but Auburn had (by far) the better O-line and ran much better between the tackles.

I bet it would have been a totally different game had the roof been open... Auburn winning by 3 or 4 more touchdowns.

Both teams were slipping.  This may not be a popular thing to post on this board but, IMHO, better traction would have favored Oregon and the slick field took them more out of their offensive game plan than it did Auburn's.  It hurt both teams but Auburn had (by far) the better O-line and ran much better between the tackles.

Agreed, to a point, but I can only think of two instances where a slip either cost points or gave points to the other team... both were negatives for Auburn.  I think the grass hurt our D more than it hurt theirs.  On O, it was pretty much a toss up, but we seemed to slip and the more damaging times (Eric Smith in the end zone... trying to stop the fake punt...)

Archived