What's up with Carnell

AU_MB_01

Has any one else noticed that the Caddy has seemed to have lost a step. He has yet to break a big one against two extremely weak teams. I'm not saying he sucks now, because he is still amazing. It just seems like a single guy is bringing him down more often, he's missing holes, less amazing jukes, etc. Am I wrong, or is he just a victim of his own success? I can't believe he's just choking under the Heisman hype. And defenses keying on him is a non-issue, too. All of that happened last year, and he still was great. It just seems like he's running tentative (like he did last year when he was afraid for his hurt leg). Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has any one else noticed that the Caddy has seemed to have lost a step. He has yet to break a big one against two extremely weak teams. I'm not saying he sucks now, because he is still amazing. It just seems like a single guy is bringing him down more often, he's missing holes, less amazing jukes, etc. Am I wrong, or is he just a victim of his own success? I can't believe he's just choking under the Heisman hype. And defenses keying on him is a non-issue, too. All of that happened last year, and he still was great. It just seems like he's running tentative (like he did last year when he was afraid for his hurt leg). Any thoughts on this?

i hope you are joking.

And I thought bg had cornered the market on dumb questions. Unreal. :rolleyes:

Nope. Dead serious. I'm a BIG Carnell fan, but even he admitted that he wasn't playing up to potential last year (before he took that hit to his leg). I've seen him limping a few times this year. I'm wondering if it's happening again, or if sharing the carries w/ Brown is affecting him. Or perhaps something with the O-line or the new schemes? Seriously, would you expect Carnell Williams to be dropped from behind (behind the line, too) by a fat D-lineman, in the redzone, with the game on the line. Or when Webster dropped him (also for a loss on the corner) without breaking a sweat on the same drive? I don't remember the last time (before this year) we were playing a pansy and Carnell didn't have at least one 50+ run.

Nope. Dead serious. I'm a BIG Carnell fan, but even he admitted that he wasn't playing up to potential last year (before he took that hit to his leg). I've seen him limping a few times this year. I'm wondering if it's happening again, or if sharing the carries w/ Brown is affecting him. Or perhaps something with the O-line or the new schemes? Seriously, would you expect Carnell Williams to be dropped from behind (behind the line, too) by a fat D-lineman, in the redzone, with the game on the line. Or when Webster dropped him (also for a loss on the corner) without breaking a sweat on the same drive? I don't remember the last time (before this year) we were playing a pansy and Carnell didn't have at least one 50+ run.

this might be the most pessimistic statement i have ever heard. did you not see him break like 5 tackles on 5 different runs against one of the best tackling teams in the nation. we just beat the defending co-national champions. give it a rest.

I think it is a legitimate comment that merits discussions not attacks. I think Carnell has gotten so much stronger with the added weight and muscle ( I think he is up to 215) (he came here around 180) he runs hard and runs a lot like Rudi did..he is compact and keeps his legs churning. I also think the added wight and muscle is the reason he is not getting hurt like he did his Frosh and Soph years...

When I used to think of Carnell I used to think of someone like Fullwood/Warrick Dunn style of back...I am now seeing him as a Rudi Johnson style back..bruising and angry

So I think it is possible he may not quite have the top end speed he did have, but he is definelty a much better back now...

Everyone needs to remember that following the Soph year, Ronnie Brown was actually rated higher that Carnell as a RB

Good topic

wde

you are one of the most pessimistic posters i've ever seen. with campbell and now caddy? i just don't understand. he had over 100 the first 2 games and 75 against a great LSU D. caddy is awesome and in the first two games he had a very high average yards per carry.

gimme a break :roll:

I think it is a legitimate comment that merits discussions not attacks. I think Carnell has gotten so much stronger with the added weight and muscle ( I think he is up to 215) (he came here around 180) he runs hard and runs a lot like Rudi did..he is compact and keeps his legs churning. I also think the added wight and muscle is the reason he is not getting hurt like he did his Frosh and Soph years...

When I used to think of Carnell I used to think of someone like Fullwood/Warrick Dunn style of back...I am now seeing him as a Rudi Johnson style back..bruising and angry

So I think it is possible he may not quite have the top end speed he did have, but he is definelty a much better back now...

Everyone needs to remember that following the Soph year, Ronnie Brown was actually rated higher that Carnell as a RB

Good topic

wde

ronnie was rated higher because of the uncertainty after the injury.

Really people. I expected something more intelligent than the stock reply of "this is dumb" that is so often given every time someone says something new on this board. Will someone observant with an open mind (perhaps an opposing fan) reply civilly to my question? Have you forgotten all of the amazing, jaw-dropping runs Carnell has had in the past? Look back at old tapes. So far through 3 games (and 40 something carries), I've found about 3 or 4 runs (no long ones) that would make the highlight reel. I'm not saying he sucks, I'm saying he looks tentative - just.like.last.year. He still ran for 100 yards a game (like he has this year), but even he knew he could do better. I'm thinking that if I'd have posted this at this time last year I'd have gotten the same response I'm getting now. Am I right?

For the parts of the game I saw, he didn't look tentative to me...still hitting holes hard and still making forward progress after a hit more often than not. We weren't exactly going up against a chopped-liver defensive group yesterday, either.

you are one of the most pessimistic posters i've ever seen. with campbell and now caddy? i just don't understand. he had over 100 the first 2 games and 75 against a great LSU D. caddy is awesome and in the first two games he had a very high average yards per carry.

First of all...Yes I know he's awesome. I'd argue with you if you said he wasn't. I am asking if he is less awesome this year than last. That's it. Simple question.

If you notice my post I also have many good things to say. I'm not in the sunshine crowd, and I'm not afraid to say "Hey, slow down". Here's the way it goes....I say Caddy is great, but I'm concerned that he's being tackled one-on-one more this year (how about it Stat-Tiger?) than any other. From your replies, I can only conclude that you hear "Caddy sucks, and Auburn Sucks". Good Lord open up. I think Caddy is the best back at Auburn since Bo Jackson. I said that ever since I first saw him play (AL-Miss HS all-star game). But I see what I see. Can you imagine if Tubbs said after the LSU game "hey guys, you were perfect - we're going to win it all this year". Hell no. Him and every other coach, said good job...and then they spent the next week telling them everything they did wrong. I don't find it negative to notice something and mention it to other Auburn People. Obviously you've got the "JC for Heisman" posts taken care of.

CMan..Thank you for being an adult about this. I take it you don't agree (which is perfectly cool). I've always liked the scat back type of runner. It possible that for some reason or another, he's just gone away from that. BTW, that play at Miss State in the red zone, where he ran from right to left and back again, all the while slipping tackles and dancing around....That is the Caddy I'm talking about.

For the parts of the game I saw, he didn't look tentative to me...still hitting holes hard and still making forward progress after a hit more often than not. We weren't exactly going up against a chopped-liver defensive group yesterday, either.

It's amazing when I have to thank people for just dissagreeing with me (without the personal commentary). Thank you for considering my question and thinking it over. You're right LSU is no slouch. Their line is Awesome. That game doesn't really concern me (after all, he only had 61 yards last year). It's primarily the ULM and Miss State games. Look at his stats for both of those games (especially game-breaking type run of 30+yards) and compare last years stats to this years. Now tell me that on paper (at the very least) he isn't having a sub-par year (By Heisman Caddy standards, not by regular running back standards)

Ok, if no one else sees it I feel a little better. After a summer of Heisman Hype, It's possible I'm just expecting the man to walk on water. I'll give it a few weeks and see if I still feel the same way. If after next week or Tenn, any of you start to notice what I'm talking about, don't be afraid to revisit this topic. At least I've gotten all the heat out of the way :)

I didn't see either of the UL-Monroe or MSU games, so I can't comment. I can safely say that if we were trying to prop him up for Heisman consideration, he would have been given more carries against those two. You also have to consider that (1) he has to share carries with Ronnie Brown and (2) our offense is a little bit different than last year's.

Sure, he may have lost a little speed...you put 35 pounds on most folks and they'd lose a lot of speed. It doesn't concern me because he is still a very effective back and I think the rest of that season will bear that out. I don't even consider any Heisman hype...the only numbers I care anything about are the W-L.

Even suggesting that he is having a subpar season is, well, interesting...

One thing a back like Carnell normally gets most of the yards late in the game when the D is tired. One thing different this year is Carnell nor Ronnie is able to get in a steady pattern (the zone) which all running backs will tell you they get in. Carnell last year didn't have to share the load. Now I totally saw something different in the game with LSU basically having a spy on Carnell the hole game. Carnell walks with a limp most of the time so I think the ankle is fine. In the first two games our O line missed normally the last block that would have sprung the long play. Just my thoughts. :au:

yes caddy has had amazing runs of over 30 yards a lot, but it's not like he had one every game. i know we haven't played much stiff competition this year but he had something like over 90 yards after contact against MSU so he is definently breaking tackles.

yes caddy has had amazing runs of over 30 yards a lot, but it's not like he had one every game. i know we haven't played much stiff competition this year but he had something like over 90 yards after contact against MSU so he is definently breaking tackles.

Your correct on every point. He's a strong runner. He's the best back in the SEC (possibly the country). And no he didn't have a long run every game last year. But he had 3 or 4 each against ULM and Miss State last year, and none this year. Personally, I don't think it's him per se. A 3/4 speed Caddy could still start anywhere (for the record I think he's around 85-90%). I think it a combination of reduced carries, he's no longer the feature back - the go to guy, and the O-line getting a new offense down. I think its a completely different mindset. Last year Carnell knew if it wasn't him, it wasn't happening. This year in critical situations (at least so far) we're just as apt to pass on 3rd and 1 as to go up the middle like we should. Its also more than probable that it will just take time to excell in our new offense - it's quite a change for the RBs from what we've been doing. This game against Citadel will tell us a lot about where we are (what we learned from last week).

Flat the freak out i like RB style better, CW has "sweet feet" the fact we have them together is amazing plus EVERYONE focuses on CW so it opens everything up.so RB has a btter average,just stop 2 or 3 drops :au: can be just scary,just gotta gel a bit more.

no hi hopes no flaming just an observation. :)

MB, Did you know that LSU has 10 returning starters on one of the best Ds in the country?

Give me a @#$%^&* break!

As a matter of fact I do. Their D is good (not as good as last year though). As I've said before, 75 yards against LSU is not cause for concern (although 5 in the second half may be - or not). My main concern is the way he moves in space - one-on-one (LSU has great players, but Caddy should be up to the task), and the lack of "Caddyness" (to coin a term) against underfed opponents. He always given me that "one play, one TD feeling". But I just don't get the sense that he could take it to the house everytime he touches the ball (last year I did). If he goes 75 yards on the first play (hell, any play) against the Citadel, I'll feel a lot better.

How about you giving me a #$!%$ break and explaining to me how I'm out of line for suggesting that something is different from last year when our "star" back's longest run is 22 yards - against last years 3-8 team.

MB, I hear what your sayin. Carnell hasn't broken teh big one, yet. And I understand that is a little atypical of him (especially against the cupcakes) but he looks to be running just as hard as he always has. To me, it actually looks like defenders are having an even harder time tackling him this year than last. I would be intersted to see how many yards after contact he and ronnie average (hint, hint Stat ;) ) I will say that toward the end of the LSU game he looked like he may have lost a step, but thats understandable as hards he had been running all game. And as far as him not housing one aginst LaMon, Im gonna goa ahead and say it... theyre defense actually looked good. I'd even say beter than MSU. They swarmed to the ball real well. Carnell is still Carnell. I dont think we have anything to worry about.

MB, I hear what your sayin. Carnell hasn't broken teh big one, yet. And I understand that is a little atypical of him (especially against the cupcakes) but he looks to be running just as hard as he always has. To me, it actually looks like defenders are having an even harder time tackling him this year than last. I would be intersted to see how many yards after contact he and ronnie average (hint, hint Stat ;) ) I will say that toward the end of the LSU game he looked like he may have lost a step, but thats understandable as hards he had been running all game. And as far as him not housing one aginst LaMon, Im gonna goa ahead and say it... theyre defense actually looked good. I'd even say beter than MSU. They swarmed to the ball real well. Carnell is still Carnell. I dont think we have anything to worry about.

I really wasn't impressed with ULM's D. I think that was just a case of our O needing to gel a little. At any rate, I'm not worried yet. Our offense is light years ahead of last year's version. I don't think we need Caddy to break one in this Offense, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he hits his stride (he is used to 30 carries a game, after all).

Archived