What's up with Carnell

AU_MB_01

Jordan was 40 years old! good lord...Carnell is what, 21? there's no parallel there at all!

and if Jordan had missed that shot at the top of the key...no one would've remembered. if the Bulls had lost, they would've gone back to Chicago for another game.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jordan was 40 years old! good lord...Carnell is what, 21? there's no parallel there at all!

and if Jordan had missed that shot at the top of the key...no one would've remembered. if the Bulls had lost, they would've gone back to Chicago for another game.

You're telling me that if the greatest player to ever play the game of basketball choked, one-on-one , on a title winning shot (in what was his final game), that there wouldn't have been raised eyebrows? I don't buy it. People would have started the "lost a step" articles before the ball hit the ground. Seriously, what do you think the network's opening package for game 7 would have been? And I didn't mention age at all. I was merely comparing performances. The reason for the drop in performance was age for Jordan, but it could just as easily be bad blocking (or anything else) for Carnell.

Stat, is Carnell's YPC on par with his career average thus far?

Sorry to steal your schtick Stat.

Carnell Williams

RUSHING G Att Yds TD Lg Avg/C Avg/G

2001................ 9 120 614 6 55 5.1 68.2

2002................ 7 141 745 10 65 5.3 106.4

2003................ 13 241 1307 17 80 5.4 100.5

2004................ 3 60 300 2 22 5.0 100.0

TOTAL............... 32 562 2966 35 80 5.3 92.7

I think everything in here (except longest run) is largely inconclusive. But everything does appear to be at least in the same ballpark.

Michael Jordan would never have been second guessed...the man is far and away the greatest basketball player ever. his shot wouldn't have been regarded as a 'choke,' either...it would've been on the Bulls and their bad defense. plus, he still had the flu.

even attempting to argue this is just stupid.

Well, it's obvious I'm not getting anywhere with Crow, but for the rest of you....check this out. I'm not sure what to make of this yet, but I am sure it's relavant to our discussion.

Vanderbilt 19-69, 1 TD (B. Jacobs/T. Smith split time in 2nd half.)

W. Kentucky 8-71, 1 TD (B. Jacobs leading rusher with 103 yds.)

La-Monroe 7-113, 2 TDs (B. Jacobs/T. Smith split time in 2nd half.)

What's remarkable about CW's 1307 yard season was that in 13 games, CW didn't get at least 100 yards in 7 of those games. That's over half the season. And in 3 of those 7 games, CW didn't even get 50 yards. He made the bulk of his yardage against 4 teams: UT (185), Arky (150), MSU (164) and uat (204.)

i think that one factor that hasn't really been talked about is that we haven't had that one game where we needed to control to the rock and had the run game going from start to finish. take that bama game last year or going back further the uga game in 01. we had to milk carnell for all he was worth in those games, and there have been others.

i love ronnie. and i suppose folks are entitled to their opinion about him vs. caddy. personally, i think carnell is the best running back in college ball (easily) and could start for over half the teams in the nfl right now. mel kiper agrees (at least with the first part) and so does tubby (or else we'd start ronnie). at some point this year, i think we're going to have a game where caddy has a hot hand, and we have to just ride him through the fourth quarter. that's the kind of game where he'll put up 25-30 carries and 200 yards. it's gonna happen at some point.

Well, it's obvious I'm not getting anywhere with Crow, but for the rest of you....check this out. I'm not sure what to make of this yet, but I am sure it's relavant to our discussion.

What's remarkable about CW's 1307 yard season was that in 13 games, CW didn't get at least 100 yards in 7 of those games. That's over half the season. And in 3 of those 7 games, CW didn't even get 50 yards. He made the bulk of his yardage against 4 teams: UT (185), Arky (150), MSU (164) and uat (204.)

And his first big game last year was 4 or 5 games into the season. We've only played 3. Give him some time. IMO, he always gets better as the season progresses. From the way Florida ran on UT, I think he'll have a big game in Knoxville.

Well, it's obvious I'm not getting anywhere with Crow, but for the rest of you....check this out.  I'm not sure what to make of this yet, but I am sure it's relavant to our discussion.

And his first big game last year was 4 or 5 games into the season. We've only played 3. Give him some time. IMO, he always gets better as the season progresses. From the way Florida ran on UT, I think he'll have a big game in Knoxville.

I hope so. He owned UT last year and with the new injuries, it's setting up nicely for him.

Guest traindriver95

What about opposing defenses keying on Carnell? You KNOW that he is the player that all the defenses are supposed to stop. He touches the ball and watch the defense next time. The reason that Ronnie is getting better YPC is that the defense actually takes a step back. Watch a play fake to #24 and you will see the whole defense swing to that side. Caddy has a big bullseye so EVERY carry is a chore now - even against LA-Monroe. Just an observation.... Not that any team respects the passing game yet but they all know when #24 is in and definitely when he gets the ball.

Flat the freak out i like RB style better, CW has "sweet feet" the fact we have them together is amazing plus EVERYONE focuses on CW so it opens everything up.so RB has a btter average,just stop 2 or 3 drops  :au: can be just scary,just gotta gel a bit more.

no hi hopes no flaming   just an observation. :)

Sweet feet is right. He dances too much sometimes.

I think Ronnie has looked better this year. I still think Carnell is a great back but Ronnie seems like he has something to prove.

I'm also suprised that so many of you don't even want to talk about the subject.

Archived