3rd and goal from the 3.....

WaDE'05

I think we did need schemes against the LSU defense. I don't think we could impose our will on them and simply run it down their throats. Most teams yes but not LSU. Every time they knew we were going to run on short yardage situations, they stopped it. JMHO

Yes, we did need schemes to beat them (like on 4th and lond, and 3rd and long). But this is the SEC. On the goal line is not the time to impress us with your thick playbook.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think part of our problem was being a little too obvious in short yardage situations. Why not spread the field a little, then bust it up the gut?

I agree. I do not think we could line up in a tight formation and get the yardage up the middle but could with some misdirection or by spreading the field. Good point that I failed to make!

I brought up this point in another thread. I was unsure why he decided to pass on 3rd and 3 and fourth and 3...... that is a good question to ask on tiger talk if anyone ever calls in...

I think we did need schemes against the LSU defense.  I don't think we could impose our will on them and simply run it down their throats.  Most teams yes but not LSU.  Every time they knew we were going to run on short yardage situations, they stopped it.  JMHO

Yes, we did need schemes to beat them (like on 4th and lond, and 3rd and long). But this is the SEC. On the goal line is not the time to impress us with your thick playbook.

If we lined up with 2 tight ends, ran it up the gut twice and failed, we'd all be asking why CAB did not get creative and pull a play out of that thick playbook.

If we lined up with 2 tight ends, ran it up the gut twice and failed, we'd all be asking why CAB did not get creative and pull a play out of that thick playbook.

You can call :bs: on me all you want, but if we had run it up the gut twice and been stopped after driving it all the way down the field i would have just conceded that LSU won it in the trenches, where 3rd and short should be played. If you run it up the gut twice and don't make it, then execution and determination get called into question, not coaching.

For the record, I would have run it up the gut twice. However, nobody is going to pay me to call the plays. I trust CAB had a good reason for calling it that way and its not because he's stupid.

You can call :bs: on me all you want, but if we had run it up the gut twice and been stopped after driving it all the way down the field i would have just conceded that LSU won it in the trenches, where 3rd and short should be played. If you run it up the gut twice and don't make it, then execution and determination get called into question, not coaching.

On that series, they did win it. If not, we would have had points.

Student body right with Slaughter and RB blocking. Just keep the big guys off of Caddy's feet and there ain't a LB or CB that can stop him for 3 yards.

I honestly think that we would complain about any play that was called because when you are 3rd and 3 or 4th and 3 and you don't score obviously we got handled or didn't execute.

I'm with WarTim, we won, I'll question the play calling when I make the big bucks for doing it!

Most of our success running seemed to come on the left side behind McNeil and Grubbs. Ronnie had some great lead blocks going that way. McNeil has been gettin' blown up a lot when pass blocking but he's a monster when we run behind him. Also, Grubbs is looking huge. What is he up to now?

This is a good question for Stat!

What was our playcall (run vs. pass) against LSU on 3rd and 4 or less (or something like that) and what was the result?

Just curious statmeister!

IF we had run it "up the gut" twice and been stopped, the Monday morning qbs would have said "Why in the *^%#*#&^* didn't we throw the ball!?"

Coaching must be a trying job. ;)

I may be wrong here, I don't think so, BUT, didn't we just WIN a game over the #5 ranked and defending NC team?

Let's not be too critical of our Coaching Staff. They had a great game plan and, IT WORKED ! ! !

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

EVER to Conquer ! ! ! !

That bonehead decision COULD have cost us the game. Thankfully, it didn't. Even a field goal at that point and LSWho has to score a TD at the end instead of a FG. And don't even get me started on the prevent defense we threw out there at the end.

IF we had run it "up the gut" twice and been stopped, the Monday morning qbs would have said "Why in the *^%#*#&^* didn't we throw the ball!?"

You don't "run it up the gut". We are always stopped on that play. Just look at the three great calls after halftime. The coaching staff had 30, count them 30, minutes to come up with a plan at halftime. They ran up the middle twice and have to punt on 4th down. Great job there!

We should have gone with Ronnie off tackle on 3rd and kicked the 3 on 4th. If he misses the FG, so what, we didn't get points anyway.

I think we did need schemes against the LSU defense.  I don't think we could impose our will on them and simply run it down their throats.  Most teams yes but not LSU.  Every time they knew we were going to run on short yardage situations, they stopped it.  JMHO

I wouldn't!

Now, if he'd have faked the handoff and run the naked boot and scored, that would've been OK with me too. And I'm not criticizing either...just saying what I would've done...just for grins! ;)

You don't "run it up the gut". We are always stopped on that play. Just look at the three great calls after halftime. The coaching staff had 30, count them 30, minutes to come up with a plan at halftime. They ran up the middle twice and have to punt on 4th down. Great job there!

We should have gone with Ronnie off tackle on 3rd and kicked the 3 on 4th. If he misses the FG, so what, we didn't get points anyway.

AGEE!!! AGEE!!! AGEE!!!! :lol:

I seriously doubt that. This is auburn. Everyone knows that running will always be our strength. I remember 98, when we ran it up the middle 4 times on the goalline against tennessee, and were stopped 4 times. It was the right call then, and it's still the right call. And I'm talking about straight up the middle, not some wide play. No matter how good any defense is, its damn near impossible to stop a team from getting 3 yards on 2 plays if that's all they want. We tried to get too cute, and it bit us in the ass. To make that play work, the defense has to be caught napping. If you run it up the middle, it's just who wants it more. I don't recommend this in any other situation (thats why we had problems last year), but GoalLine Offense and Defense hasn't changed in the SEC since that Old Dead Guy in the Funny Hat was on the sidelines over in Tuscalooser (OK, Birmingham actually).

It just amazes me that win or lose, AU fans find something to complain about. If we lose, the playcalling was not good enough. If we win, the play calling could have been better. Bottom line is that the coaches put together a game plan to win the game and it worked, barely, but it worked.

It just amazes me that win or lose, AU fans find something to complain about. If we lose, the playcalling was not good enough. If we win, the play calling could have been better. Bottom line is that the coaches put together a game plan to win the game and it worked, barely, but it worked.

Ok lets do it your way. Here is how this board would look:

"Great game! We won!'

"I know!. I went!"

" I think we will win next week!"

"Me too! I always do!"

"Everything was perfect!"

"I know!"

YADA< YADA< YADA! :poke::poke::poke:

Sorry, constant whiners just annoy me.

I saw plenty of positive discussion on other threads. Tre's tackle on special teams, Carnell's takeaway, etc.

Some of you guys just go out of you way to look for something negative.

I saw plenty of positive discussion on other threads.  Tre's tackle on special teams, Carnell's takeaway, etc.

That's not true. We just watch the whole game and not the rosey parts. It's called anlyzing something. Without analysis, this world would be just like the post above!

And on that same note, do you think the coacjhes aren't looking for mistakes and problems that occured? "Hey great game guys. No practice this week. We already have it down pat. We'll just meet to go over the opponents formations."

I saw plenty of positive discussion on other threads. Tre's tackle on special teams, Carnell's takeaway, etc.

So now you are being neagtive about other posts. See you later Pot.

The Kettle

I saw plenty of positive discussion on other threads.  Tre's tackle on special teams, Carnell's takeaway, etc.

That's not true. We just watch the whole game and not the rosey parts. It's called anlyzing something. Without analysis, this world would be just like the post above!

Best post of the day! By far!!

We don't all live on Oak street with a pretty white fence and see the world thru rose-colcored glasses. Some of us are actually REALISTIC. Sure we won. I'm glad, that's why I went. I will be there for the rest, hopefully. But I can be objective enough about my own team to point out problems and not whine when others do the same. I have to respect their input. :au:

Sorry, I might have been a bit harsh. I'm just trying to enjoy this big win because its been awhile since we've been able to do that. There is a difference between analysis and whining. The fact of the matter is CAB made a judgement and it did not work. I'm not going to knock him for that. Nallsminger probably would have run it up the gut twice but I'm glad Nallsminger isn't calling the plays anymore. We seem to expect perfection out of our coaches and players where nobody is going to be perfect.

I'm going to go sit outside in my sunshine world, have a cold one, and savor Eddin's hit and JC's last throw to CT! :D

Sorry, I might have been a bit harsh. I'm just trying to enjoy this big win because its been awhile since we've been able to do that. There is a difference between analysis and whining. The fact of the matter is CAB made a judgement and it did not work. I'm not going to knock him for that. Nallsminger probably would have run it up the gut twice but I'm glad Nallsminger isn't calling the plays anymore. We seem to expect perfection out of our coaches and players where nobody is going to be perfect.

I'm going to go sit outside in my sunshine world, have a cold one, and savor Eddin's hit and JC's last throw to CT! :D

I don't think anyone's whining. And to tell the truth, I don't think anyone cares about that play anymore by its self. The last game is in the past. I think people are just concerned that he might do it again in a critical situation (like at Tennessee). At any rate, all it takes is one point to win, and I'm sure everyone is satisfied with a win over the defending BCS champs (co-champs my ass). Its just that some of us are looking ahead to the future.

Archived