Thoughts, Reflections

MobileBengal

First off, congrats on a big win. This is a hard one to swallow for me. It feels like the OSU game in reverse.

Honestly, I have to say that I dont think any better or worse about either team right now than I did last week. I still think the Auburn defense is good, but not great. There were a number of times that we had receivers open, and either the QB couldnt get the ball to them, or they dropped it. We still have a lot of execution problems, but I still stand by my belief that these young WRs are VERY talented. The Auburn offense looked pretty good. I think there are still a few issues on the Oline, but the skill positions are there. I have to say, Jason Campbell looked much better than I would have ever given him credit for. I still think our defense is pretty good, but they havent regained the fire they had in their eyes last season. Kyle Williams played a hell of a game, but everyone else seemed uninspired. They played very solid football for the majority of the game, but Webster and Daniels, especially, have not shown their ability to change a game yet. On Courtney Taylor's 4th down catch, Jessie Daniels was the guy who should have been covering him. Sometimes he makes a great, athletic play. Other times, he seems to be asleep at the wheel. He reminds me a lot of what Jack Hunt looked like when he first moved to safety, just more athletically gifted. He will continue to improve.

Overall, I wouldnt feel confident in saying that either team is better than the other right now, or even that either team outplayed the other. I feel that LSU outplayed Auburn on the first possession of the game, and Auburn outplayed LSU on their last possession of the game. Unfortunately for us, Auburns last possession of the game was the one that counted. I have long said that the mark of a great team is the ability to find a way to win, and Auburn did that. I also stand by my statement that Courtney Taylor is the best receiver in blue. Without him, I dont think Auburn wins this game.

I think our QBs both looked decent, but neither did enough to carry the team. Randall is very athletic and has the ability to turn a busted play into a gain, which he did a few times on the first drive. I think he should have stayed in the game longer, maybe for that reason alone. Russell has shown that he can read the field, he just needs to learn how to make all of the throws, though I have been impressed with his decision making. The most glaring example is the INT to end the game. He made the correct decision, and put the ball in the right spot, he just threw it a little too hard. He cant take all the blame on that one though- Doucet should have caught it. I think if he catches that ball, we win the game. If, if, if...

Speaking of Doucet, I really feel bad for this kid. He was obviously out there giving his all, and doing everything in his ability to come up with a clutch play. Unfortunately, he got the personal foul call on the PAT, and couldnt hold onto the ball down at the Auburn 20. I dont want to dwell on the officiating, because I am sure I could go back and find some bad calls that were made on both sides of the ball, its just that it is so disappointing to see a call change the outcome of the game when the penalty did not affect the play. I really disagree with the rule, not because it bit us, but because when you go up to block a kick, you shouldnt have to worry about whats under you. Its one thing to climb a players back, giving you a clear advantage. Oh well, Im done with that.

I dont believe in moral victories, but I am somewhat encouraged by the play of our young guys. Russell is improving, and making good reads. The WRs are starting to step up, and Skyler Green will be back soon. Shyrone Carey will be back this week. Week to week, we will continue to improve, and should be a damn good football team by the end of the year.

This win puts Auburn in the drivers seat in the west, and we now have an uphill climb. I tell you what, thought, Im not sure if Florida and Tennessee arent the two best teams in the league. Georgia still hasnt impressed me. Alabama may be in big trouble with Croyle out, but that remains to be seen. Ole Miss and MSU are plain bad. Vandy always plays Ole Miss close, but man, they should have had that game. USC and Arky are still unknowns, IMO.

Anyway, thats enough of my rambling. Again, congrats on the win, and good luck with the rest of the season (by luck, I mean no injuries- I'll be honest, I will be pulling against Auburn in every SEC game from here on out. Sorry, it has to be done).

Take care,

Good post Mobile. Both defenses definitely played well enough to win and I truly think the difference was a little more experience at QB for AU. There were some plays that Russell and Randall just plain miss-fired on when they had open receivers. Not a knock on Vincent, he may have been banged up, I don't know. But Broussard was the better back, hands down and I thought they didn't run him enough. Glad they didn't. :D

Jamarcus Russell is your future. They need to name him the starter and let him go. The defense will keep you in every game and cover most mistakes.

For AU, I'm just glad to see them make those crucial plays they've not made in the past. Nice to get over a major first hurdle. Now, Fat Phil and the Vols and some real true-to-life home cookin' waits next week. If you think the officiating was questionable this past Saturday, let's wait and see who the crew is in Knoxville. B)

Good luck the rest of the way.

I really disagree with the rule, not because it bit us, but because when you go up to block a kick, you shouldnt have to worry about whats under you.

That's completely untrue. The player jeopardizes himself for one thing. When you're in the air like that if someone hits your legs it'll be ugly. Additionally, rules like that are in place to protect the long-snapper (which he fell on). As a former long-snapper, I can tell you, it hurts when people do stuff like that because you don't see it coming. The snapper has his head down, he's completely unguarded. This is a safety rule.

Good post Mobile. Both defenses definitely played well enough to win and I truly think the difference was a little more experience at QB for AU. There were some plays that Russell and Randall just plain miss-fired on when they had open receivers. Not a knock on Vincent, he may have been banged up, I don't know. But Broussard was the better back, hands down and I thought they didn't run him enough. Glad they didn't. :D

Jamarcus Russell is your future. They need to name him the starter and let him go. The defense will keep you in every game and cover most mistakes.

For AU, I'm just glad to see them make those crucial plays they've not made in the past. Nice to get over a major first hurdle. Now, Fat Phil and the Vols and some real true-to-life home cookin' waits next week. If you think the officiating was questionable this past Saturday, let's wait and see who the crew is in Knoxville. B)

Good luck the rest of the way.

That's PHAT Phil.... :D

That's completely untrue. The player jeopardizes himself for one thing. When you're in the air like that if someone hits your legs it'll be ugly. Additionally, rules like that are in place to protect the long-snapper (which he fell on). As a former long-snapper, I can tell you, it hurts when people do stuff like that because you don't see it coming. The snapper has his head down, he's completely unguarded. This is a safety rule.

I know the purpose of the rule. Players go up in the air all the time, for various reasons, and sometimes land on players that arent looking. We will just have to disagree.

AUesquire, to my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with Vincent, unless its psychological. Broussard was the better back by far saturday, and he probably should have been given more carries. Im sure he will see more touches in the coming weeks. I think Vincent is trying to be too shifty and turns out being timid. Broussard is a bruiser- the only thing he knows how to do is run straight.

Im kind of surprised no one has said anything about my Jason Campbell comment. :o

I'll comment....

JASON CAMPBELL IS THE MAN!!! His confidence, checking, heart, and athletic ability on the last drive is why Auburn won that football game. If you don't believe me, ask any of hte players.

CAMPBELL FOR HEISMAN!!!!!

I love Broussard's running style. If I'm not mistaken, he's about 235. He turns his shoulders up and dares you to get in his way. Ronnie Brown runs very similar to AB. The shortest distance between two points... :D

WE know that JASON was the HERO of the game. THAT is enough. :D

WAR EAGLE ! ! !

10-9 and bring on the Citadel ! ! !

Archived