Jason Campbell

kickinwang

I have mixed feeling about it. He played a good game but not great. He got the job done but didn't really shine. I feel the reason that most poeple think he shined is the fact that this is the forst time he has followed through and finished the game in a way that we have been looking for for 4 years. If he keeps it up and continues to grow, then this award was spot on. But like another poster said, he needs to keep it up. I would love to se him POW many more times. Will it happen? I hold my breath every time its gets squirrely out there. Right now, I just cheer him on and take slow, deep breaths.

JC had a GREAT game against Bamar 2 years ago (long pass to mix, I believe...excellent checking at the line)...some of us have selective memories.... ;)

He did very well against LS_Who, considering the unrelenting presssure...and he will have better games to come.... :au:

After the LSU game this is how I would rate him.

Leadership 9

Arm Strength 9.5

Checking Off 9

Athletic Ability 8

Accuracy 8

Progressions 7

Pocket Stature 7.5

Toughness 10

Commitment 10

Coachability 9.5

Touch 8

JC had the heck blitzed out of him. He made great throws even so. When they didn't blitz he hit read the defense and hit the right guy. The only play I didn't like it when he hit Mix for a five yard game over the middle when it was 3rd and 12. His accuracy has improved dramaically. He still doesn't always hit guys in stride all the time, but he always delivers a catchable ball. The sideline the Aromashadu dropped and ran a lazy route on... that was a perfectly thrown ball.

I have mixed feeling about it. He played a good game but not great. He got the job done but didn't really shine. I feel the reason that most poeple think he shined is the fact that this is the forst time he has followed through and finished the game in a way that we have been looking for for 4 years. If he keeps it up and continues to grow, then this award was spot on. But like another poster said, he needs to keep it up. I would love to se him POW many more times. Will it happen? I hold my breath every time its gets squirrely out there. Right now, I just cheer him on and take slow, deep breaths.

JC had a GREAT game against Bamar 2 years ago (long pass to mix, I believe...excellent checking at the line)...some of us have selective memories.... ;)

He did very well against LS_Who, considering the unrelenting presssure...and he will have better games to come.... :au:

Its not the ablilty that's ever questioned, its the consistency. Like I said, we'll see. And I'll be taking slow deep breaths the whole time.

Selective memories?????

As a senior he should be farther along. We all know the excuses. I just want to see consistency. I'm happy he got the award. It's great for AU. But I just didn't see the same thing you did. And others see it too. At this point in time as long as we see improvement from the whole team as well as JC, that is what is important. But make no mistake, he's not all that.....YET!

I hate to keep being "negative" (you know, interjecting reality), but here goes. JC had a career day that day, and yet still only had 270 something yards. I know he had some drops, but that's a fact that every QB has to deal with (He also missed open receivers, so it balances out). If people are reasonable about him, then that's fine, but remember, the really great QBs (like a Manning for instance) have career days that go for 400+ yards. Extolling his virtues is fine, but keep it in perspective.

Its not the ablilty that's ever questioned, its the consistency. Like I said, we'll see. And I'll be taking slow deep breaths the whole time.

Selective memories?????

As a senior he should be farther along. We all know the excuses. I just want to see consistency. I'm happy he got the award. It's great for AU. But I just didn't see the same thing you did. And others see it too. At this point in time as long as we see improvement from the whole team as well as JC, that is what is important. But make no mistake, he's not all that.....YET!

He should be further along??? With 4 different OC's???? Puh-leeze! I'd like to see how far along ANY of us would be! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JC deserves kudos for doing what he did against LSU. He stepped up when he was needed. However, all the comments about others jumping on the "bandwagon" just because we are giving JC credit where credit is do is kind of silly. It almost seems like that some on the board would have rather JC critics, like me, talk bad about his gameplay all the time, even when he does play good. I prefer to stay positive and hope that the LSU game was a turning poing for JC, but I am also a realist and know that JC, has in the past, stepped up in a big game, only to falter in the next few. The season is far from over, so before we start crowing him as this season's top SEC QB, as some to seem to be already, let's see if he can keep the momentum going, because JC has been know to have quite a few letdowns after a big victory. I am a JC critic that will give him credit when he steps up, but I will stop being a critic when JC becomes consistent and here's hoping that JC will make me eat my words after this year is over. :D

Like some others have said, JC has proved he can step up to do the job, but as the leader of that offense, he has to do it alot more then he has in the past. I believe he can do it, so let's see what happens.

I hate to keep being "negative" (you know, interjecting reality), but here goes. JC had a career day that day, and yet still only had 270 something yards. I know he had some drops, but that's a fact that every QB has to deal with (He also missed open receivers, so it balances out). If people are reasonable about him, then that's fine, but remember, the really great QBs (like a Manning for instance) have career days that go for 400+ yards. Extolling his virtues is fine, but keep it in perspective.

Dude,

Is there anybody on the AU team that you don't have a problem with??? :unsure:

First the 'what's wrong with Cadillac' thread, now this.

I would hate to read your thoughts when we struggle.

Newsflash: We just won a huge game! Stop and enjoy the view!

:au: War Eagle :au:

Dude,

Newsflash: We just won a huge game! Stop and enjoy the view!

I don't "have a problem" with anyone on the team. If someone does something good, I mention it. If someone does something bad, I mention it. Its called being observant. I'm enjoying the win just as much any other Auburn fan. No doubt, it's huge. But if this is truely a discussion board (and not just some giant orgy of self-gratification) then there have to be people to balance out the Sunshine Pumpers. I have seen very few people on this board who are truely and completely negative. I know anyone who says anything but "Auburn rulz the world" is viewed as negative, but this is just not reality. Whether my assessment is right or wrong, the Cadillac thread has sparked some legitimate debate that would have never (and I do mean never) have happened on this board if everyone was like yourself. There are good things about our team, and there are bad things. Why can't you (and others like you) accept that?

Dude,

Newsflash:  We just won a huge game!  Stop and enjoy the view!

I don't "have a problem" with anyone on the team. If someone does something good, I mention it. If someone does something bad, I mention it. Its called being observant. I'm enjoying the win just as much any other Auburn fan. No doubt, it's huge. But if this is truely a discussion board (and not just some giant orgy of self-gratification) then there have to be people to balance out the Sunshine Pumpers. I have seen very few people on this board who are truely and completely negative. I know anyone who says anything but "Auburn rulz the world" is viewed as negative, but this is just not reality. Whether my assessment is right or wrong, the Cadillac thread has sparked some legitimate debate that would have never (and I do mean never) have happened on this board if everyone was like yourself. There are good things about our team, and there are bad things. Why can't you (and others like you) accept that?

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you...so I will simply say that what is so hard for me to understand is the timing of your thoughts.

Will I ever feel the need to start a discussion about what is wrong with a team that just played an incredible game with great emotion? NO...NEVER.

Do you have a right to be the 'turd in the punch bowl?' Sure. But I don't have to understand it.

That's what makes America great. Hooray for the 1st amendment.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you...so I will simply say that what is so hard for me to understand is the timing of your thoughts.

Will I ever feel the need to start a discussion about what is wrong with a team that just played an incredible game with great emotion? NO...NEVER.

Do you have a right to be the 'turd in the punch bowl?' Sure. But I don't have to understand it.

That's what makes America great. Hooray for the 1st amendment.

OK, your right, this discussion was starting to devolve a bit. But since you appear to be a fairly reasonable person, I'll try to explain myself one more time. It's not about negativity. Its not about putting a damper on a great victory. It's simply about exploring all of the options. And the timing makes perfect sense. If I saw something in the LSU game, it make perfect sense to discuss it the week after the LSU game. But if you still dont understand, that cool. If we're coming from two different places, then I suppose we'll never see eye to eye.

BTW,

"'turd in the punch bowl"?. That's a little strong for a person that doesn't want to get into a pissing contest. :)

Who cares about comparing him to other people...we all know Campbell isnt a manning, and we all know Campbell wont be up for the heisman race like manning. But for driving his team to victory...CAMPBELL HAD A CAREER DAY MY FRIEND

BTW,

"'turd in the punch bowl"?. That's a little strong for a person that doesn't want to get into a pissing contest. :)

Sounds more like a pooping contest to me. :lol:

In all fairness to aumb he is far from the only turd in the punch bowl. I have been VERY surprised at the number of AU fans on this board who have continued knocking JC this week. Thankfully most are very positive!

LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

JC is the leader of this team. Now you can follow or........ :au:

BTW,

"'turd in the punch bowl"?.  That's a little strong for a person that doesn't want to get into a pissing contest. :)

In all fairness to aumb he is far from the only turd in the punch bowl. I have been VERY surprised at the number of AU fans on this board who have continued knocking JC this week. Thankfully most are very positive!

Just pointing out that he is not all world as most suggested. Still gunshy from the past. And if you don't like our observations, then sit back shut up and when he wins all the big games, TELL US I TOLD YOU SO. But don't insult my years of playing and studying by trying, once again, to sell me on JC. Only he can do that. Like Ranger said, I sure hope he does well. But there's still improvements to be made.

And YES, he should be farther along. Sure his OC has changed, but DEFENSES DO NOT CHANGE. Reading them is all the same. he's getting better, but he's not there yet. I really don't care if he sucks the rest of the year as ong as we win. I don't care if he wins the hiesman, as long as we win. But I do believe he is the key for us to win. And that still concerns me. So I will continue to voice my concerns, just as others do. And I refuse to take part in any kind of..what was it?

(and not just some giant orgy of self-gratification)

So discuss issues or blow smoke, but do not tell any of us how or what issues to discuss. :D

BTW,

"'turd in the punch bowl"?.  That's a little strong for a person that doesn't want to get into a pissing contest. :)

Just pointing out that he is not all world as most suggested. Still gunshy from the past. And if you don't like our observations, then sit back shut up and when he wins all the big games, TELL US I TOLD YOU SO. But don't insult my years of playing and studying by trying, once again, to sell me on JC. Only he can do that. Like Ranger said, I sure hope he does well. But there's still improvements to be made.

And YES, he should be farther along. Sure his OC has changed, but DEFENSES DO NOT CHANGE. Reading them is all the same. he's getting better, but he's not there yet. I really don't care if he sucks the rest of the year as ong as we win. I don't care if he wins the hiesman, as long as we win. But I do believe he is the key for us to win. And that still concerns me. So I will continue to voice my concerns, just as others do. And I refuse to take part in any kind of..what was it?

(and not just some giant orgy of self-gratification)

So discuss issues or blow smoke, but do not tell any of us how or what issues to discuss. :D

Please unwad your panties! :lol:

My point was that it is amazing to me that some can't stand to just congratulate the guy on a good game! Save the bitching and whining for another thread, JMO.

JC's is far from perfect and just about every player on the team could have it said that they should be farther along...........

I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do, just making suggestions and offering opinions like everyone else on the board.

If we ever meet in person I'll give you the chance to tell me to shut up to my face. :roll: Why don't you shut up and wait til he fails under this system to start your whining?(This last paragraph is not meant to be taken seriously, just doing my impression of you ;):P )

If we ever meet in person I'll give you the chance to tell me to shut up to my face. :roll: Why don't you shut up and wait til he fails under this system to start your whining?(This last paragraph is not meant to be taken seriously, just doing my impression of you ;):P )

Not a problem. I do not mind giving my opinion in person. I'm a big boy. I can handle it. And just for the record....your impressions SUCK!

And YES, he should be farther along. Sure his OC has changed, but DEFENSES DO NOT CHANGE. Reading them is all the same.

That really isn't a very "football smart" thing to say in my opinion. The offenses game plan completely influences what a defense does. If they know what you are doing because your OC is OL coach then it just effect what the defense does... you think? Even the best defenses, they try and dictate what an offense does. When the QB goes to the line he should have the chance o get out of a bad play. (UNder Nall JC did not have this option this year and in 02 he did.) If they know what play you are going to run on every 3rd and long there is no amount of "reading" that will make any difference. Changin an offense will always change how a team defends you.

And YES, he should be farther along. Sure his OC has changed, but DEFENSES DO NOT CHANGE. Reading them is all the same.

That really isn't a very "football smart" thing to say in my opinion. The offenses game plan completely influences what a defense does. If they know what you are doing because your OC is OL coach then it just effect what the defense does... you think? Even the best defenses, they try and dictate what an offense does. When the QB goes to the line he should have the chance o get out of a bad play. (UNder Nall JC did not have this option this year and in 02 he did.) If they know what play you are going to run on every 3rd and long there is no amount of "reading" that will make any difference. Changin an offense will always change how a team defends you.

I never said he shouldn't be able to change the play. I said he should be able to read defenses by now. And as soon as he sees what defense they are in, it will dictate whether or not to change the play. But to change the play, or not, depends on what formation the defense is in. this , in my opinion, is the hardest thing for a QB to learn. And JC seems to still have problems with this. He is definitely better than in the past, but many times gets confused when the pressure is on. I by no way want him benched. I'm just saying that all this talk about him finally having arrived is premature.

Didn't Al B say that changing the play at the line was something that JC excels at?

He said that after the MSU game.

I never heard anything after the LSU game. I did notice that he seemed to make more calls once at the line that seemed to work out good in the first half than in the second. i don't remember very many audibles in the second.

You were talking about audibles right?

If you were talking about knowing where to throw the ball before the ball is snapped by reading the d or by being able to change your mind after it is snapped and the defenses unveils what they were disguising... that is a different story. JC has historically appeared to have a problem with that. He used to seem to panic if his 1st guy was not open. On the last drive he did a great job of being patient in the pocket. He also seemed to do real well on most throws of knowing who his primary target shold be by looking at the defense. On all but two occasions I can remember he threw to the right guy (IMHO) when he had the chance. I still haven't seen him consistently check down through his progresssions. Maybe that is what you were talking about. Of course changing OCs has a big influence on being able to do this smoothly and naturally. This is probably where switching offenses would effect a QB the most. Going through your progressions has to become second nature to a QB and that takes time in a system. I have heard several Big Name Pro QBs talk about how hard it is to get use to a new system. The one thing they always mention first is knowing where second and third options are. Just food for thought.

If we ever meet in person I'll give you the chance to tell me to shut up to my face. :roll: Why don't you shut up and wait til he fails under this system to start your whining?(This last paragraph is not meant to be taken seriously, just doing my impression of you ;)   :P )

Not a problem. I do not mind giving my opinion in person. I'm a big boy. I can handle it. And just for the record....your impressions SUCK!

Still wadded huh? :lol:

i have a question for whoever. you boys were bitchin bout campbell's "career day" coming with only 270 yards passing and saying that he did little more than not lose the game by passing for 170 against lsu. so here's the question: would you rather have peyton manning who NEVER beat his rival/competition (in college or the nfl... florida and new england) but put up HUGE numbers or a guy that puts up really nice numbers that aren't ever going to be all-american level but has beaten all of his major rivals (and been the main guy in a lot of those wins)?

personally, i'd sacrifce a manning to get a brady or a campbell, but it really seems like some folks on here wouldn't make that trade. i'm not calling jc a tom brady (yet), but he's certainly showed flashes. jason hasn't beaten bama twice in two starts (and was the man in one of those games). he's 1-1 against lsu (and was the man in the win). it just seems like when we give him a chance to succeed (that never happened last year) by opening up the offense he always shines. i could be wrong, but at least with jason i have a chance.

i have a question for whoever. you boys were bitchin bout campbell's "career day" coming with only 270 yards passing and saying that he did little more than not lose the game by passing for 170 against lsu. so here's the question: would you rather have peyton manning who NEVER beat his rival/competition (in college or the nfl... florida and new england) but put up HUGE numbers or a guy that puts up really nice numbers that aren't ever going to be all-american level but has beaten all of his major rivals (and been the main guy in a lot of those wins)?

personally, i'd sacrifce a manning to get a brady or a campbell, but it really seems like some folks on here wouldn't make that trade. i'm not calling jc a tom brady (yet), but he's certainly showed flashes. jason hasn't beaten bama twice in two starts (and was the man in one of those games). he's 1-1 against lsu (and was the man in the win). it just seems like when we give him a chance to succeed (that never happened last year) by opening up the offense he always shines. i could be wrong, but at least with jason i have a chance.

Ok. I agree with you to a point. I'd rather have a Tee Martin or a Matt Mauck or whoever Ohio State's QB was than a Peyton Manning. Those QB's kind of had the same rep as Campbell. But the also have a title to shut their critics up, not just a win in one or two games. Lets hope that at the end of the year (but not before - and certainly not after the 3rd game of the season), we can legitimately mention Jason's name with those above.

Archived