Fun looking back

Erik81

It's fun to go and read some of these conversations

link

My qoute:

most of the practice reports come from me and I can say that I am totally not fearing misuse of talent on offense this year and Campbell looks very good-how bout your QB? I have heard they are not doing too hot. I predict a general awareness from LSU fans of how valueable Mauck was come football season.

another link

QUOTE (GeauxTigers @ Aug 26 2004, 09:34 AM)

Funny, as long as this thread is methinks Auburn fans ARE PRAYING TO GOD that we miss Mauck.  

methinks LSU fans are praying that they don't miss Mauck-they sure downplay how well he did and how easy he will be to replace

another one

That's always possible but the reports I've read indicate that the Auburn D is very weak up the middle. That's not a matter of a "great" offensive game plan that's just plain "hat on a hat" football. I've also read that the cornerbacks are not as good as expected and that the receivers are still dropping easy balls. As I said this time of year the defense should be ahead of the offense. I don't believe for a minute that Auburn's offense is anywhere close to mastering Borges system and certainly won't have a full grasp of it by the time the LSU game rolls around. LSU will have the best defense in the nation when they roll into town.

After the game gets here we'll all know for sure but I just think Auburn fans are being unrealistic about this team. Most Auburn fans think that just because the scores for the 2002 and 2003 seasons were the same that 2004 could be too. Last years' score and LSU team was a reflection of the quality athletes and depth Saban has recruited since coming to LSU and Auburn has not kept up the pace. The 2002 game was a circumstance of a backup QB being thrust into the spotlight and making some costly mistakes. The 2003 game last year was more of a true reflection of the overall talent levels of these two teams. 2004 will be more of the same.

I know my opinion isn't popular but I think this years' game will bear it out. LSU is a step above Auburn in talent and coaching. Barring injuries, LSU should win by at least 14. If LSU loses I'll be back to take my lumps.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Erik - since we are doing this - I'm going to toot my own horn a bit . .

There is no question that defensively they are going to be very, very good. I'm not positive they will be as good as last year (Lavilas is going to hurt them), but even if they are 90% as strong, they will still have an awesome defense.

However, I just can't shake that they are going to have a nasty cause and effect drop off in their offense. The beauty of their offense in 2003 was that you could not commit to stopping just their pass, or just their run. If you tried to shut down their pass, you had to double team Clayton and Henderson (either one in solo coverage was pretty much useless) - which means they could run over you with 1st Addai, then Carey, then Vincent in Broussard.

Obviously, if you geared up to stop their run, you were screwed - they would pass all over you. Mauck was also a fantatsic, mature leader on the field which overshadowed his knack of throwing some pretty bad pics throughout the year.

However, this year - their offense is interesting. Randle will have had to make significant strides to even come close to the on-the-field leadership or abilities of Mauck - and even if he does, he'll basically be throwing the ball to some highly touted Frosh and RS Frosh WR's. Therefore, I think teams can focus on the part of the LSU offense which shouldn't drop off - the running game - which will slow that part of their team down.

Basically, you are going to have a senior QB - who, based on on-the-field results, is probably one of the worst QB's in the SEC (Behind Greene, Cutler, Campbell, Coyle, Jones, Pinkins, and Leak). (LSU fans - before you jump all over this - I'm just talking stats here . .not potential, etc.) With two sophomore starting RB's, Sklyer Green, and a few more F, RS F WR's. Looks great for LSU in the future, but in 2004? Not sure . .

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9702&hl=

needless to say - my opinion wasn't popular with the LSU faithful . .but not bad . .

oh, and that was before the Oregon State game . ..

Erik - since we are doing this - I'm going to toot my own horn a bit . .
There is no question that defensively they are going to be very, very good. I'm not positive they will be as good as last year (Lavilas is going to hurt them), but even if they are 90% as strong, they will still have an awesome defense.

However, I just can't shake that they are going to have a nasty cause and effect drop off in their offense. The beauty of their offense in 2003 was that you could not commit to stopping just their pass, or just their run. If you tried to shut down their pass, you had to double team Clayton and Henderson (either one in solo coverage was pretty much useless) - which means they could run over you with 1st Addai, then Carey, then Vincent in Broussard.

Obviously, if you geared up to stop their run, you were screwed - they would pass all over you. Mauck was also a fantatsic, mature leader on the field which overshadowed his knack of throwing some pretty bad pics throughout the year.

However, this year - their offense is interesting. Randle will have had to make significant strides to even come close to the on-the-field leadership or abilities of Mauck - and even if he does, he'll basically be throwing the ball to some highly touted Frosh and RS Frosh WR's. Therefore, I think teams can focus on the part of the LSU offense which shouldn't drop off - the running game - which will slow that part of their team down.

Basically, you are going to have a senior QB - who, based on on-the-field results, is probably one of the worst QB's in the SEC (Behind Greene, Cutler, Campbell, Coyle, Jones, Pinkins, and Leak). (LSU fans - before you jump all over this - I'm just talking stats here . .not potential, etc.) With two sophomore starting RB's, Sklyer Green, and a few more F, RS F WR's. Looks great for LSU in the future, but in 2004? Not sure . .

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9702&hl=

needless to say - my opinion wasn't popular with the LSU faithful . .but not bad . . .

That is all I was doing-tooting my own horn :) Just living up this big win

Chuck:

I will give you kudos. I agree with your assessment. You can never know how a team will be on offense with an unproven QB.

This team with Mauck at the helm would be a much different team.

I dont know exactly how to define it but some people are just winners. They dont have all the talent in the world but they just know how to win.

I think Jamarcus Russell has all the talent in the world but right now doesnt have the experience. I think he showed good intangibles that with some experience can be a winner.

You cant really blame him too much when the ball that was needed at the end was catchable. But his performance earlier in the game left much room for improvement.

Your defense rattled him and made him rush some of his passes. He is going to have to get used to getting hit in the SEC.

Geaux LSU TIGERS

This was not said on this forum, or even before the game. But as we were leaving the stadium Sat., I was talking to an even tempered LSU guy. He told me they could still win the MNC, because they lost a game last year and won it then. I reminded him that last year they were undefeated in the West Div, and this year they are not, Auburn was in the driver's seat for the SECCG. This didn't seem to make him too happy. Matter of fact, he started a tirade of expletives toward me that I wish my wife had not witnessed. So much for the mild manner he displayed before my statement.

Chuck:

I will give you kudos. I agree with your assessment. You can never know how a team will be on offense with an unproven QB.

This team with Mauck at the helm would be a much different team.

I dont know exactly how to define it but some people are just winners. They dont have all the talent in the world but they just know how to win.

I think Jamarcus Russell has all the talent in the world but right now doesnt have the experience. I think he showed good intangibles that with some experience can be a winner.

You cant really blame him too much when the ball that was needed at the end was catchable. But his performance earlier in the game left much room for improvement.

Your defense rattled him and made him rush some of his passes. He is going to have to get used to getting hit in the SEC.

Geaux LSU TIGERS

Thanks for the classy response. Russel will be a good QB before it is done and possibly a great one. If I am Saban I give him the keys and say go get em. There will be growing pains this year, but in the next 2 or 3 it will be worth it. I think JC would have been much better off if we would have never kept yanking him around with Cobb during his first two years. Let the young kids learn on the field. Russel doesn't seem like the kind of guy to get you beat either.

I agree - I think Russell will eventually "get it" and be a phenom QB - but I think many LSU folks were underestimating the loss of Mauck, Clayton and Henderson and how that would not only slow their passing game, but running game too.

I am really glad we are getting to do this and not having to do what they're doing at the fake tigers board...

http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?t=19967

I mean you have got to be kidding me!!!!

lol, what a bunch of crybabies :lol::lol::lol:

And by the way I saw Junior after the game with a BIG FAT CIGAR IN HIS MOUTH :lol::lol:

Or my pre-game prediction:

"LSU will lead 9-3 until the end when AU will score a TD, miss the extra point, and win 10-9 with the ensuing penalty re-kick."

Okay, maybe only the dog heard me say that... ;)

Archived