Okay - now that the uber-positives are passing . .

chuck

I'll be the very first to admit - I have been anti-CTT and even anti-JC in a lot of cases. I have never questioned their overall character or heart, just their overall value to our performance on the field.

There is no question I still have some serious concerns about these issues - BUT - in the spirit of staying positive - I want to point out a bunch of things by both men (and they truly are men) that shouldn't be ingnored:

1) CTT blamed himself for Carnell fumble on the punt - he told him to not let it hit the ground - and Carnell didn't - CTT took full responsiblity for that - and that makes me DANG proud

2) Jason's 4th down pass was probably the best pass I have seen him make since he hit Tim CArter for a 60+ yard TD vs. LSU in 2001. Side arm, flushed out of the pocket - about to get hit - ON A ROPE. I hope a superstar QB coach gets ahold of him - he has so much raw talent

3) CTT didn't do any stupid fakes - he played a VERY smart field position game. While I question the 3rd and 4th and goal - I can even respect his reasoning that he didn't want a FG and give them good field position, when he could either score a TD - or lock them in. Field position one that game for us - and that was part of his plan. Maybe next time we can run it twice?

4) We are truly using our two RB's . .not just Carnell Carnell Carnell then Ronnie - but they are both seeing a lot of balls - and that is a REALLY good thing

5) Hugh Nall was one of the single worst decisions CTT Ever made - Borges - who really concerned me when he was hired - is looking prety good right now.

6) For the 3rd consecutive year - this game has been played with class by both opponents - the coaches and players obviously respect each other. LSU talked a bunch more smack before the game - and came off as more thuggish then Auburn did by a long shot (not saying they were thuggish - but if anyone in that game was - it was them - also see Alley Broussards long run, where he threw the football in Rogers face - and Webster get in Mix's face after the incompletion in the end zone on 4th down). Is this the last year we have to hear about Auburn/CTT/thuggery/class? Probably not - but each year LSU keeps bringing it up, the more they sound like a bunch of whiners.

One more note - I think Cox is a more accurate passer then JC - but JC is a clear leader and I do believe he should start. However, I am already REALLY pumped up about our offense next year with Cox running that O' with Ben O., Devin. A, and Courtney Taylor as WR's . .throw in Tre Smith and CArl Stewart at RB's and that's going to be a lot of fun.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!! What a great week to be an Auburn Tiger!!

oh yeah . and after all the moaning about CTT being insenstive for not cancelling.

He didn't cancel . .he made an informed decision . .LSU and Saban agreed.

The result was:

1) a great game

2) a beautiful day

3) the single largest crowd for a sporting event in Alabama history

gee . .I think Alabama folks were pretty darn happy this game was going on .

I don't see any of them admitting they were wrong on that one . .do you?

No, but I did see at least a couple of articles about people who lost virtually everything, or had a ton of damage and cleanup who were grateful for the diversion of going to the AU-LSU game on Saturday. One guy spent the better part of two solid days using his chain saw to cut trees that had landed all over his neighborhood and on people's homes and such. They were without power so they couldn't even watch the game if they'd wanted to. He was so glad that Saturday rolled around and he could get away from the mess and have fun for a few hours.

I guess waiting for better, more complete information and making a reasonable decision based on that and talking with the authorities WAS the proper, intelligent and even classy thing to do. Go figure.

One thing Chuck,

On the plays in the redzone, OC AB makes the calls. I do not disagree with the pass call on 4th.

The 3rd down call is a matter of choice and I would have liked to see them run but understand with the way LSU was run blitzing and stuffed us on I-form run plays why AL passed both times.

While you see some issues that you did not disucuss I saw some potential to get better.

Offense:

1. We may not see a better DL this season but our shortyardage run game can improve and that will make us a much stronger team.

2. I believe we can take more shots down the field off playaction with some adjustment to the routes. More post, drags across middle, and deep ins versus fly routes.

3. We still can catch the ball much better on slants - Move the chains!

4. We can use RB delay out of the backfield more which will allow the LB to drop deeper and give our RB more room to make moves before contact.

5. We can roll the pocket some to take pressure off Jason in obvious passing downs as LSU was rushing t oa spot and knocking the heck out of him.

One thing Chuck,

On the plays in the redzone, OC AB makes the calls. I do not disagree with the pass call on 4th.

The 3rd down call is a matter of choice and I would have liked to see them run but understand with the way LSU was run blitzing and stuffed us on I-form run plays why AL passed both times.

While you see some issues that you did not disucuss I saw some potential to get better.

Offense:

1. We may not see a better DL this season but our shortyardage run game can improve and that will make us a much stronger team.

2. I believe we can take more shots down the field off playaction with some adjustment to the routes. More post, drags across middle, and deep ins versus fly routes.

3. We still can catch the ball much better on slants - Move the chains!

4. We can use RB delay out of the backfield more which will allow the LB to drop deeper and give our RB more room to make moves before contact.

5. We can roll the pocket some to take pressure off Jason in obvious passing downs as LSU was rushing t oa spot and knocking the heck out of him.

I was going to try and post some smart sounding stuff, but you beat me to it. That is almost exactly what I would have said.

There were three times that we went for it on fourth down where we should have know we were going to go for it and done something differently on third. (draw out the shotgun on the long ones).

We seem to need a better short yardage package. Bring in Slaughter at FB and put CW and RB in the T; two TEs (maybe one being Mix to add to the passing threat) and smash it down there throat or heck, you could motion RB and/or CW into the slot or wide. Talk about confusing the defense with your shifts.

Borges did say that our allignments and shifts were not run well. We had guys in the wrong position on several plays. From hearing him talk the offesne was about 60% of what it should have been from a set-up point. I love the look of this offense.

the best call of the game, to me, was the new punting formation they were in. letting Bliss roll out and kick it while our players got downfield prevented LSU from using any of their blinding speed as an advantage. had we not had such good punting (and coverage), there's no doubt in my mind that we would've lost that game.

I'll be the very first to admit - I have been anti-CTT and even anti-JC in a lot of cases.  I have never questioned their overall character or heart, just their overall value to our performance on the field.

There is no question I still have some serious concerns about these issues - BUT - in the spirit of staying positive - I want to point out a bunch of things by both men (and they truly are men) that shouldn't be ingnored:

1)  CTT blamed himself for Carnell fumble on the punt - he told him to not let it hit the ground - and Carnell didn't - CTT took full responsiblity for that - and that makes me DANG proud

2)  Jason's 4th down pass was probably the best pass I have seen him make since he hit Tim CArter for a 60+ yard TD vs. LSU in 2001.  Side arm, flushed out of the pocket - about to get hit - ON A ROPE.  I hope a superstar QB coach gets ahold of him - he has so much raw talent

3)  CTT didn't do any stupid fakes - he played a VERY smart field position game.  While I question the 3rd and 4th and goal - I can even respect his reasoning that he didn't want a FG and give them good field position, when he could either score a TD - or lock them in.  Field position one that game for us - and that was part of his plan.  Maybe next time we can run it twice?

4)  We are truly using our two RB's . .not just Carnell Carnell Carnell then Ronnie - but they are both seeing a lot of balls - and that is a REALLY good thing

5)  Hugh Nall was one of the single worst decisions CTT Ever made - Borges - who really concerned me when he was hired - is looking prety good right now. 

6)  For the 3rd consecutive year - this game has been played with class by both opponents - the coaches and players obviously respect each other.  LSU talked a bunch more smack before the game - and came off as more thuggish then Auburn did by a long shot (not saying they were thuggish - but if anyone in that game was - it was them - also see Alley Broussards long run, where he threw the football in Rogers face - and Webster get in Mix's face after the incompletion in the end zone on 4th down).  Is this the last year we have to hear about Auburn/CTT/thuggery/class?  Probably not - but each year LSU keeps bringing it up, the more they sound like a bunch of whiners.

One more note - I think Cox is a more accurate passer then JC - but JC is a clear leader and I do believe he should start.  However, I am already REALLY pumped up about our offense next year with Cox running that O' with Ben O., Devin. A, and Courtney Taylor  as WR's . .throw in Tre Smith and CArl Stewart at RB's and that's going to be a lot of fun.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!  What a great week to be an Auburn Tiger!!

I'm not sure if Cox is the more accurate passer. I think that he knows how to put touch on the ball better and thats why the receivers catch his balls. JC will put it in their hands more often than not, but they don't catch it half the time..i.e MSU game where we had like 8 drops. They obviously worked on it because they didn't drop many vs LSU. Oh, and won't kenny irons be the starter over karl stewart next year?

oh yeah . and after all the moaning about CTT being insenstive for not cancelling.

He didn't cancel . .he made an informed decision . .LSU and Saban agreed.

The result was:

1) a great game

2) a beautiful day

3) the single largest crowd for a sporting event in Alabama history

gee . .I think Alabama folks were pretty darn happy this game was going on .

I don't see any of them admitting they were wrong on that one . .do you?

one thing I will say that you guys might not realize.

On the LSU board (TigerForums.com) a request was posted that anyone going to the game to please bring relief supplies (water, batteries, food, etc) in order to help those out who suffered severe damage in the storm.

We all wanted the game played if it was safe. it was safe, we played our hearts out, and the game is a classic.

I will say that CTT called a great game for the most part. I was not real enthused about his going for it on fourth and goal that early, but it all worked out ok for yall in the end.

Congrats on your win and good luck here on out.

mesquite - I did see that - and I thought it was a really great gesture on the part of the LSU fans.

But I also saw the 5-6 threads on the board in which LSU fans were saying that they would be "Ashamed" if they were Auburn fans at how "insensitve" our administration was for not cancelling the game well in advance. Things indicating that CTT had no class for wanting to wait to make a decision.

Considering the weather, lack of damage at Auburn, and the fan response (largest crowd for a football game EVER in Alabama) - I think the right decision was made.

I don't fault folks for wanting a safe environment. However, I will fault them for making stupid accusations based solely on their bitterness towards another program, and I will rub that in their face.

I think folks like you, and TexasTigers (geauxscott, etc.) should feel completely excempt from this type of critisizm. Because you handle yourselves with class on this board at all times. It is a shame that you can get unwittingly clumped into the negative just because of your allegance. Sometimes I do not do as good of a job seperating the two, and for that, I apologize.

the best call of the game, to me, was the new punting formation they were in. letting Bliss roll out and kick it while our players got downfield prevented LSU from using any of their blinding speed as an advantage. had we not had such good punting (and coverage), there's no doubt in my mind that we would've lost that game.

I heard a bama fan call in on the radio to Eli Gold's show yesterday asking if this was even legal...he said he thought it was "sly" of us to be doing that even after Eli told him it was completely legal. He said he thought you had to wait 2 or 3 seconds before you could run across the line to cover the punt. I about wrecked my car laughing. Kind of makes you wonder if bama fans actually watch their own games anymore. I mean, how could he think that and also say that he watches football? Of course, this was on Eli Gold's show, so...

Archived