A realistic look at UA @ ARK

Draven

I am not the biggest, UA fan in the world but still, is it not a tall order to beat Arky and in Arkansas at that; for a Alabama team with a new qb who has never played before this week and even then only had 7 pass attempts. Granted he completed 5 of those and I didnt see the game (I was still celebrating the LSU win in Auburn) so I dont know if he look great on those plays. With a unproven running game, yeah I know before some bama fans get started yeah they have got a lot of yards so far but NONE of the D's they have played could stop the run if they knew the play before it started. So my question in a nutshell is given the play of Arkansas who was good enough to win the game with Texas, can Alabama with out Croyle (sp?) beat these guys?

I dont think they can I think there D can keep it close for a while but with no exp at qb they will not be able to move the ball that effectivly, because you know Arkansas is going to stop the run and make the newbie beat them. Or at least thats what they should do.

WDE

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The interesting thing is the 'unproven' running game. The last 9.5 minutes of the ole miss game...they stacked 9-10 in the box and we didnt pass once...still scored. And then drove it down again and took a knee on the 1.

We have a lot of talent in the backfield. The questions for now rest with our QB situation. I dont think we will know much for a few weeks though.

The interesting thing is the 'unproven' running game. The last 9.5 minutes of the ole miss game...they stacked 9-10 in the box and we didnt pass once...still scored. And then drove it down again and took a knee on the 1.

We have a lot of talent in the backfield. The questions for now rest with our QB situation. I dont think we will know much for a few weeks though.

Again like I said none of the teams could stop the run if they knew what play was coming is my point.

I will give Alabama the credit for having a good running attack if they can put up 150 on Arkansas. Till then to me its still suspect, not meaning anything by it just because its Alabama. I was one of the people questioning what AU could do till we played LSU because ULM and Miss State were NO real gauge for what we could do on either side of the ball. But I will give Alabama's D its due, I think it keeps them in games that no one says they will be in.

The best team that Bammer has played so far is rated #74 by Sagrin, the other two are 107 and 133. Against that sort of competition, the scout squad should do pretty well!!!!

Arky is ranked #21 and will be a much tougher test than anyone they've played to date and will provide some idea of the strength of this team. My expectation is Arky by three touchdowns over Bammer.

I really can't believe how wound up the Bammer nation has gotten over hanging 50+ points on a mediocre 1AA team like Western Carolina!!!!! If they drop down and pick up a 5A high school team, they might could score 70 and not have to play their first team too much in the 3rd quarter. :poke:

The bama running game has talent. Can't take that away from Darby, Hudson, and Castille.

However, I don't think bama is going to get a lot of production out of throwing the ball given the circumstances so in order for the game to be close, that bama O-line is going to have to play like nobody's business. If bama wins the game, it will be because of huge rushing numbers via the performance of the O-line. Otherwise, I think it's just too much to ask of Guillon to make his first start on the road against the hogs and put up a significant amount of passing yards.

Also, the bama D is somehow going to have to contain Jones. He can put up some nice numbers by himself.

first of all,the bammerites are looking for anything that even comes close to being a positive.....thats why they are so happy about scoring 50 on littletit u....but, i remember them going to arkie 2 years ago with a hurt qb and starting a freshman at qb named croyle....1st play shaud williams goes 80 and they beat the hell out of arkie.....last year against a fairly good southern miss team, they had to start a guy that was 3rd team(avocado,or something like that) and they beat them and only threw 6 or so passes....don't count them out,but i don't think they can do it without throwing a lot

The game should be close until late when Arkansas's dept takes over. If UAT can run for 150 and throw for 130 or so, they may have a chance, but it doesn't look too realistic for a win.

Also, the bama D is somehow going to have to contain Jones. He can put up some nice numbers by himself.

Whats so scary about Jones is that now...he knows how to pass the ball.

I still think this Bama team is going to surprise some people. I believe they win Saturday by 2 TDs. I don't see anyone giving them any respect thought until they play Tennessee. Brodie is good and I wish he was still in the game, but Guillon has talent. He looked good Saturday night and good in the A-day game. He has spent time playing against Miami's starting D & Alabama's D. I think he will do better than what any opposing fans give him credit for. He does not have to be a great QB, just a smart one.

He does not have to be a great QB, just a smart one.

Great point.

Sometimes, QBs like Jay Barker or Ben Leard are all you really need. Someone who can check out of bad plays, and someone who doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Alabama loses this weekend, but I really expect them to win 7/8 games this year (I think somtimes they win, jus to spite us Auburn fans). I think they win this weekend.

I don't see anyone giving them any respect thought until they play Tennessee.

They play Arkansas, South Carolina , and Southern Miss before Tennessee. If they win all three of those (or totally dominate two out of the three) I'll give them respect--although of course Southern Miss does take us right up to the Tennessee game.

Actually, I can't say I totally disrespect them now. As much as I'd like for them to have a losing season and not be bowl eligible, I just can't predict that with the sort of confidence some Bama bashers have. Don't know if that's just natural caution on my part, or some gut feeling that they are better than my logic tells me.

On the other hand, I've seen some sports commentators suggest they'll be competing for the Western division title after LSU's loss Saturday, and I can't see that either. I still see them losing to Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn (and quite possibly either South Carolina or Arkansas). Losing even two or three of those five probably puts them out of contention in the west. Losses to LSU and/or AU put them behind in the tie-breakers in the West as well.

I also think we haven't scratched the surface on Bama's depth problems yet. I honestly did not expect a Brodie injury to be a problem this year (I just thought the odds of him getting knocked out in two consecutive seasons were about as freakish as Caddy breaking bones in two consecutive seasons--hmmm.) I thought their depth issues would arise as a result of multiple lessor (1,2,or 3-game recovery) injuries and basic wear-n-tear over the natural course of a college football season, and I think they still have to face that. [Although I never wish injuries on anybody.]

But we'll know a lot more after Saturday.

I like Arkansas playing at home with Matt Jones.

Ditto!

And this was against...WHOM...again???!!! :lol:

My 2 keys are Guillion having a decent game(a complete unknown at this point) and Bama's defense forcing some turnovers. Bama's D is very fast and athletic, especially in the secondary. Matt Jones has been known to try and do too much both running and passing and tends to do some stupid things with the ball. Bama has just the type of D to cause problems there. All things being equal, I have to go with Arky at home but I wouldn't be surprised to see an upset.

I don't see it. Ark played Texas to the wire and looked good doing it. UAT aint no Texas. (would you agree BG?)

Of course from one weekend to the next you never no for sure.

For AU I am more scared of the Ark game than any other game on our schedule.

I don't see it. Ark played Texas to the wire and looked good doing it. UAT aint no Texas. (would you agree BG?)

Of course from one weekend to the next you never no for sure.

For AU I am more scared of the Ark game than any other game on our schedule.

Well last year they beat UT in Austin and it took em 2 OTs to beat us. And we werent as good last year...thats obvious.

I think Alabama has a very good chance of beating Ark. If Guillon can complete a couple of passes early, then the running game should be okay. I also think the speed of our D will be able to at least somewhat contain Jones.

He does not have to be a great QB, just a smart one.

He is playing for uat. How smart can he possibly be? :lol::lol:B)

i just watched the replay of arkie's game with la. monroe and i'm not so sure that bammer won't have a good chance to beat em".....they have some weak areas,secondary,d-line, o-line appears to be average at best.....monroe moved the ball all game long....had some costly turnovers that cost them....i don't know that the texas game wasn't an well played fluke.....houston nutt will outcoach coach hula,but i don't know if arkie has enough ability to beat bambi or not....on the other hand, i don't know if bambi has enough to beat them either....should be a good game.....sometimes when two average teams meet, they put on a good show....who really knows about this one.....and, who really cares?

this kind of matchup really reminds me of those classic eli vs. jones battles of a coupla years ago. the ones were both teams were so even that they beat the crap out of each other, and neither team really had any business competing for a division title. granted they still did compete, they just had no real business doing so. or even the classic donnan uga teams against us round 95 or 96. or donnan vs. any average team really. the game is going to be fun to watch, but in the end, lsu and auburn SHOULD be too good for the winner to matter.

oh and i think bama will win just b/c i hate them, and that's the kind of thing they do to me.

oh and i think bama will win just b/c i hate them, and that's the kind of thing they do to me.

Don't you hate that? :D

So far after 3 pages of this weeks picks, only 3 people think bama will beat ark...I have a feeling if bama were to win, BS would be shoveling quite a bit of crow for us.

Archived