West Coast opinion from Pete Fiutak

quietfan

I'm not necessarily endorsing his whole stand on the West-Coast offense, but I just liked this quote:

Auburn had the ball inside the five against LSU with $25 million-plus worth of NFL running backs to work with and chose to throw

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2004/Co...e_of_Whimsy.htm

I would have run the ball, knowing I had 2 downs to get the 1st or TD but I can see why we elected to pass. Except for the 7-yd run by Brown on the botched HB pass play, we hade 16 yards rushing on 8 carries during the 2nd half of the game, prior to the 3rd & 2 play. Once the pass failed on 3rd down, we were basically forced into a 4th down pass play.

It would have been nice to see a run-pass option for JC on the 3rd down play...

I am so glad we won the game because if we hadn't this one decision would have led a tremendous chorus of those demanded Tubs immediate resignation.

Though I am a Tuberville supporter I had exactly the same thoughts. But then I was questioning CAB - not Tubs.

I have been lurking on the board for a couple of years, but decided to join so I could put in my $.02.

For the life of me I cannot understand why the coaches did not let Tre jump over the line (both in this game and the Ole Miss game last year). That little guy has the most amazing leaping ability that I have seen in some time. Heck, he could have jumped from the 3 yard line all the way to Toomer's corner.

that is positively ridiculous...ok if there isn't a defense to jump over. I think we should give one of your cents back for that one just out of pity. ;)

We should have run it, I would have liked to see Ronnie between the tackles, but in ABs defense, third down was the down to pass--LSU likes to blitz big on 4th. For the fourth down call, Mix over the middle would have been a good play. It looked like Campbell was trying to throw it to Opelika from the 3 yard line, but JC is the man, so I'm not going to blame him. I think the play just didn't develop the way it was drawn up. SO, I like the calls. (By the way, from my vantage point in the endzone RB was in without stepping out of bounds, so all these LSU whiners can talk to me about bad calls--cuz AU could have won by 8.)

Yeah Yeah we all hear coachs say run it and go man on man and if we can't get 3 yards then we deserve to lose.

Ronnie Brown stepped out you can see the chalk fly on the replay.

Biscuit, what's with the smartazz and contentious response? Are you constitutionally predisposed to picking a verbal fight? If you are, I can handle, although I would much prefer not to engage in such. I thought I was on an AU board, not an LSU board.

Now, back to the question at hand. I can only assume you have never seen Tre jump in the manner I referenced. If you had, you would know that he has an uncanny ability to do that. Believe it or not, he jumps higher than Bo did.

Peace, brother.

IF we had run the ball on consecutive plays and failed to score, there would have been a chorus of "WHY didn't we use Ronnie and Carnell as decoys and THROW the ball?"

Coaching must be a fun job. :rolleyes:

Even when you win, you can't win. <_<

Let me say I am not a Football Coach but I have stayed in a Super 8

My guess is that our coaches figured that Saben and staff were expecting the run since we have a mega million dollar NFL running back tandem so they chose to pass. Maybe LSU has a really good defense and the sniffed out our decoy.

Quit Bi^#$&@g for God's sake we won the game.

P.S. Who is Pete Fiutak? Lee Corso's bookie?

Well i have to agree with Pete... and i said the same thing as i was sitting in the stands watching Jason step back to pass on 3rd and 3...

Archived