CW: 16.7% ( 10 / 60 )

RB: 25.8% ( 8 / 31 )

Pct of plays of 5-yards or more:

CW: 50% ( 30 / 60 )

RB: 51.6% ( 16 / 31 )

Pct of plays of 0-yards or less:

CW: 18.3% ( 11 / 60 )

RB: 6.4% ( 2 / 31 )

Carnell has been tackled for a loss, 6 times. Ronnie has not been held for a loss on his 31 carries. He is simply a beast on the football field!

I have always thought RB may be better than CW. Although early in the year, these numbers surprise me. CW has had more attempts than RB, so that may account for his lower numbers. Or it may say that CW has not been the back he is supposed to be (this year). I certainly am not complaining, because I would not trade these two for any other back in the nation. Both are awesome after contact. But it seems that when CW gets caught in the backfield, he quits. But once past the LOS, he gets his motor going. RB's motor never stops.

Great info again, Stat. I think a lot of the reason that Ronnie keeps getting the big pops is that other teams/coaches do not respect him the way we do. They see #24 head for the sideline and think, "Well, they are going to pass." Wrong. LSU had Carnell shadowed the entire game by their best defender. I expect to see a game (maybe UT) where Borges really plays on the rest of the conference's desire to focus on Carnell. Lots of PA passes, misdirections, and reverses. One game filled with Carnell playing the decoy may be all it takes to pull the shadow off of him.

I have always thought RB may be better than CW. Although early in the year, these numbers surprise me. CW has had more attempts than RB, so that may account for his lower numbers. Or it may say that CW has not been the back he is supposed to be (this year). I certainly am not complaining, because I would not trade these two for any other back in the nation. Both are awesome after contact. But it seems that when CW gets caught in the backfield, he quits. But once past the LOS, he gets his motor going. RB's motor never stops.

I just had this thought re: Carnell vs. Ronnie:

Could it be that Carnell is quicker to "give up" on the designed play and trust his legs to get yardage? Ronnie might simply run the play as designed, follow the blocking (trusting that the holes will be open when he gets there), and get the yardage in traffic.

Note: I am not bashing Carnell. He's a fantastic player. I just had this thought when considering why Carnell is getting hit for a loss more often than Ronnie.

Pct of plays of 5-yards or more:

CW: 50% ( 30 / 60 )

RB: 51.6% ( 16 / 31 )

I thought this was the most amazing stat of all. Think about it, no matter which back is in the back field, we've picked up atleast 5 yds on half our rushing attempts. I wil agree RB has been looking better than CW this year, atleast number wise. However, Carnell just amazes me. Everytime he touches the ball i think he's gonna score. I really think that the only backfield in the history of the NCAA that can compare to these two would be Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas at OSU. Just think about it, in a couple of years, Auburn will have an astonishing number of running backs in the NFL. Beasley, Davis, Rudi, Brown and Williams. Auburn could account for almost 1/6 of all the starting tailbacks in the NFL! What a recruiting tool.

i think a large part of ronnie's success has simple been b/c he's the change of pace guy. he's always got fresher legs in the fourth b/c carnell carries the ball twice as much. defenses don't seem to treat him the same as carnell when caddy's off the field either. i'm not bashing ronnie just saying he's playing with a lot less pressure and attention than carnell.

kinda like when peerless price was playing in buffalo with eric moulds. price actually put up better numbers (both made the pro-bowl one season), but when it came time to keep one guy the bills kept moulds b/c they knew he could handle double teams. now that price is "the man" in atl, he puts up nice numbers, but he's clearly not as good as moulds.

i sorta think ronnie has thrived as the second option of a GREAT one-two combo, but he's really never had to deal with defenses scheming for him the way they do carnell. even when he got 1000 yards, the only game i remember a distinct defensive effort to just stop him was uga. and they won.

Archived