Please read: good idea about J-H-stadium

Aubie7

Letters to the Editor

Submitted

September 23, 2004

Quiet, please

Editor, The Auburn Plainsman:

I have attended Auburn home football games, and I have watched Auburn home football games on television. One thing I have noticed is the noise coming from the Auburn fans, mainly the student section.

Jordan- Hare can be one of the loudest places in the country come gameday. It without a doubt drives the opposing team nuts. It should not, however, drive the home team crazy.

When Auburn has the ball, the play clock is winding down and Jason Campbell is calling an audible, SHUT UP! If the stadium is loud, it takes longer to call the audible because it is harder to hear.

Jason knows the play clock is winding down, that’s why he is trying to get a new play called as quick as he can. If the fans are yelling, the receivers can't hear him, so either he has to repeat himself, which takes more time off the play clock, the receivers mistake him, which means they run the wrong play, or the play clock runs out.

I know how it feels to watch the game. I want to yell as much as the next fan, but when Auburn has the ball, be quiet. Wait until Caddy or Ronnie hits the hole and gets a first down, then yell at the top of your lungs. But not while Campbell is trying to change a play.

He is changing the play so we don't get stuffed at the line. He is a fifth year senior, and he’s played the game a few times. Be quiet, let him do his job, let him lead us to victory. WAR EAGLE!

This was taken from the Auburn Plainsmen Letter to the Editor.

Yes, I am glad some one else noticed this. That drove me flippin' insane saturday. on several occasions Jason was waving his arms downward trying to calm down the crowd and people still weren't gietting the hint. We need to find a way to mix enthusiasm and intelligence.

I'm surprised more people don't realize it as well. I sit in the student section for every game and I try to tell everyone around me to be quiet when we are running plays until something big happens. Maybe others will start to pay attention.

I agree the fans should be quite. However, I think the noise being made as the play clock winding down is a response from so many delay of game calls last year. The crowd hasn't figured out that we aren't having that problem this year.

Good practice for when they go up to UT. The team practices for this. And its not nearly as loud when we have the ball. This is just the nature of big time college football.

I've been going to games since the '97 season and this year is the first that I've been sitting anywhere besides the student section. The issue with people getting loud when the playclock runs down below 7 isn't a new one. It's been happening since Rudy Johnson was around in 2000 (maybe longer...I know it happened a few times that year).

I agree though. Let folks know they need to zip it!

Archived