Thoughts on todays game

PChamp119

I didn't think the team really looked that bad. The score did not show how our team really looked. 2 fumbles and a missed FG. We had 593 total offensive yards.

I was disappointed Ronnie didn't play, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and not pull a Mike Shula (injuring your best player) and risk Ronnie's ankle injury.

Carnell didn't get a 100 yards.

I really am scared of Brandon Cox being our QB the next 3 years. The kid is an Eli Manning. He can throw, but that's it. The kid gets sacked waaaaaaay too much. I don't care if it's with our 2nd/3rd string offensive line, but it's THE CITADEL!!

Will Herring really doesn't wanna lose his job to Tony Bell - good for him.

Jason had great numbers and looked great. He was 1 yard short of a Devin TD. A dropped Slaughter TD catch. And he threw 11-14, 194 yards!! That's great numbers.

Bring on the Vols!

I think they practiced for UT all this week. CTT would never admit it, but they couldn't have taken this game seriously. At least I hope that is what happened. I could only listen on the radio, but it sounded like they were flat the whole game.

From the sounds of the game I missed nothing by not attending today. I dont know about the fumble's but I hope Carnell isn't going to start going through a spell of it. We will need to keep the ball as much as possible next week to have a solid chance of coming out of Neyland with a W. It sounded like Carl Stewart played well along with Ramsey. I thought for sometime they should put Silas back for kick returns or use him more often. It was good to be able to get BC plenty of playing time in case we need him down the stretch. I found the heavy set package with Hart lined up at the tightend spot good for short yardage. And most important it sounded like snapping on field goals went better.

:au:

Yeah...I missed it too...sent the wife and kids instead. The yardage and the 33 FIRST DOWNS, is pretty danged iimpressive. I'm sure that Tubs will tutor Caddy on the art of NOT fumbling this week! :D

Yeah, it was a sloppy outing. We dominated the game, but the scoreboard doesn't reflect it because of two turnovers in their red zone and at least one missed FG. That was 17 points potentially.

I'm not worried about Brandon. But I'm glad that folks can see the difference in JC and BC a little better after this game. Brandon will be a great QB in this league but he still has some growing to do.

I thought we got Manhandled on Citadel's first drive which resulted in Zero points. Our team made a few adjustments and came back Clickin' on almost all 10 cylinders. I say almost, b/c we ran nearly the same plays as we did against ULM. Not showing anything.....But, there is two running plays that I wish we'd trash. One, the fake reverse where JC hands off to the RB, and he goes in the direction the reverse was coming from. It works around two/three times, that's it, we ran it 10 times, and when it does work, we get two-four yards. The other is the sssssllloooowwww developing run...UP THE MIDDLE, it ain't a draw and our Linemen block it like it's a quick punch, when the Big Uglies get up field to block it....They forget about the guy that Hits the RB at the line of scrimage, the DE or the Blitzing OLB. Anyway, I love seeing our men Knockin' Heads, The Most amazing sight at ANY Football game....Spirit, Spreading It's Wings, Tiger Walk, and Our 1 Billion Dollar Band. WAR "BY GOD" EAGLE

I really am scared of Brandon Cox being our QB the next 3 years. The kid is an Eli Manning. He can throw, but that's it. The kid gets sacked waaaaaaay too much. I don't care if it's with our 2nd/3rd string offensive line, but it's THE CITADEL!!

104829[/snapback]

Last I heard old Eli was doing well for himself only being abe to throw the football. If anyone doubts Eli's contribution to Ole Miss just look at the team now.

Jason is still the man now but Brandon will do just fine next year

I agree about the fake reverse running play. We have ran it in every game this year and gets old. Sure they might fool the defense 1 out of every 5 times they run it, but otherwise its just .. well.. i dunno.

BTW... Anyone noticed a huge difference between last year and this year on our offense?

Last year when we played the terrible teams, we put up tons of points. This year when we play the terrible teams, we score around 30+. We don't get the big running plays this year either, but get more 15yd+ running plays I believe.

That is just my evaluation.

A few things I took from the game:

Jason Campbell looked sharper than anybody, it was scaring me that Tubs was leaving him in so long cause I didn't want to see him go down.

Carnell Williams didn't run as hard as he usually does, y'all might think im insane but i saw a couple of times when I know he had the outside if he turned it up a notch but he didn't make it. Does anybody remember the 2002 Syracuse game in double OT when Carnell just burned the lbs chasing him in the race to the pylon. I remember 2 of 3 runs when i know he could've beat the guys to the outside, but didn't.

Recievers caught the ball well, I can't remember any signifigant drops, but i thought the recievers could've blocked better, that might've contributed to the fact that Carnell couldn't break one outside.

Carl Stewart looked strong.

Cox was pretty accurate when he made good decisions. He made a couple of bad decisions, but I thought his sack problems was due mainly to his hesitancy to go through his reads, he takes too long to rule out a guy whereas Jason knows right as the play starts whehter a guys going to be open or not, that'll come with experience. He did a great job in stepping up in the pocket 3 or 4 times to buy a little more time.

Defense didn't show much, second string secondary looked bad on a couple of plays, Chizik didn't do much blitzing we had a very "vanilla" defense which is perfectly fine with tennessee coming up next week.

I felt we looked better than the La-Monroe game if thats saying much.

I think we did exactly all we wanted to do today, win and play everyone. I think all the players were not into the game 100%. It was sloppy. The O-line was slacking off. I think, even though we had all the stats, the offensive players were not as into it because we were playing vanilla. I think it excites the players when we have all the formation shifts and motions. I expect next week to be a great offensive performance. Borges has his offensive ready to explode against a quality opponent.

Archived