UAB

CarolinaTiger

i like them...never really resented them the way the bammers do.

i hope watson brown can continue to win games and he gets them into a bowl soon (possibly this year).

i think this win over Memphis this weekend is HUGE for them. they've beaten them 4 years in a row now, and memphis had made some noise this year.

i wish the city supported them more. i'm not sure how many people showed up for the UAB/UM game, but i'm sure it wasn't 30,000.

your thoughts on UAB?

ct

they had 26,212 at last night's game. that's double what i thought they would've had, and i imagine a few thousand memphis fans were included in that figure, but hey...that's not bad.

it's a start.

Wont have a team if Bama has their way.

104982[/snapback]

Yeah because we are tired of paying for their football team. When they can sustain a team by themselves...and sell some tickets...great.

That win last night wasnt that big of a deal in hindsight. Memphis beat ole miss by 7 points...memphis BARELY beat Arkansas St.

Ive always pulled for UAB athletics. But they dont need a football program.

So does the University of Alabama support UAH also. & AU support AUM sports? Just wondering?

105002[/snapback]

Yes

105004[/snapback]

To further expound on that point...Alabama system is supported by Alabama.

But look at what costs most for UAH: Hockey. And they don't need support from UA because their Hockey program sustains itself. Same goes for UAB when BBall was their biggest thing.

There is no bigger money pit in college athletics than football. And UABs program doesnt pay for itself...it doesnt even pay for the helmets. THey give away like 100K tickets a game. So how many of those 26k people actually PAID for thier seats?

I agree w/ you then Bamagrad. UAB shouldn't have a team. Maybe if they make it to a bowl they will get closer to breaking even, but I doubt it. I thought C-USA was supposed to play Fri. nites. Or is that next yr.?

If I recall correctly, UAB was in danger of losing several sports just over a year ago. Watson Brown (in his AD role) raised enough money to fill the gap in their budget. So saying that Tuscaloosa is sending truckloads of cash up I-20 to "buy helmets" is complete rubbish. If they did not want UAB to have a football program, it could have been stopped a long time ago. Truth be told, UAT has no interest in severing ties with UAB because they cannot offer medical degrees without sending their students to UAB and keep them in "the system". The debate about UAB's football team is insignificant, because the benefits UAT receive in return from this "EDUCATIONAL PARTNERSHIP" are invaluable. I think it is time Bammers stop kicking UAB like some little stepbrother, they have grown into legitimate University with the help of Tuscaloosa, but have made great strides on their own also.

All medical students complete the first two years of medical school on the Birmingham campus.

Bama has wanted no part of playing UAB in the past. If Alabama was taking care of them then playing them would make more since. We have so many good teams in the state that we could play each other to keep the money in the state instead of playing the so called cup cake games like Western Carolina, La Monroe, or Ball state. To me that makes more sense but that it my opinion. I thought the game was very exciting and the crowd was fair. What I will say is the White and Hackney connection appears to be very tuff. Woodfin on the defensive side is a monster and Burks on the offensive side is a hard nose runner. They have finally gotten great kids that were overlooked by the bigger schools in the state. That is how Southern Miss has had so much success by taking chances on players left out in the state. If they can put a good product on the field they will start gaining more support game after game :au:

UAB shouldn't have a football program? Please don't tell me that Alabama fans are mad because UAB has Hackney and they dont? LOL J/K

Anyway... I think it is good that UAB has a football team. Maybe if they will get into a bowl game this year and maybe next year.. then people will come to the stadium.

how much money does UAT pay to UAB in order for their football program to exist? and if this $$ wasn't spent on UAB football, where would it be spent? i think its a great investment. how many other sports are non-sufficient that get their $$s from large football programs? tons!

having a viable 3rd (or 4th, now that Troy is gaining strength) team in-state is great! more of our kids get to experience 1-A ball. what if all 3 of them make bowl games this year. won't that be awesome for the state, given our relative size?

do troy & UAB play this year?

Note to bg: Keep shula at the helm, if the good old boys will allow that after this year, and you will be begging Coach Brown to throw your bunch a bone (wrapped in cash!) :)B)

having a viable 3rd (or 4th, now that Troy is gaining strength)  team in-state is great!  more of our kids get to experience 1-A ball.  what if all 3 of them make bowl games this year. won't that be awesome for the state, given our relative size?

do troy & UAB play this year?

105104[/snapback]

That's a good point also...they are providing scholarships to kids that might not another opportunity to get a college degree. But, oh yeah, Bama football is all about money and arrogance. So, I can see why they view this as a "problem".

BTW-Troy and UAB do not play this season, but I think they are trying to work out a regular meeting in the future.

That's a good point also...they are providing scholarships to kids that might not another opportunity to get a college degree.  But, oh yeah, Bama football is all about money and arrogance.  So, I can see why they view this as a "problem".

105175[/snapback]

Bobby Lowder Jimmy Rane...shall i go on?

Yet another ignorant statement from an auburn fan claiming bama as the great evil...while auburn stands above the fray even though its not any different that UA in regards to money.

Let me ask you...how did auburn pay for those new facilities? With honor and good will? or money?

Let me ask you...how did auburn pay for those new facilities? With honor and good will? or money?

105178[/snapback]

Money obviously...but we didn't blame AUM for "draining our budget" and claim they don't deserve whatever programs they feel they can support. This hatred and controversy between UAB and UAT has been laughable to everyone watching from the outside. To think it all started with Gene Bartow reporting a recruiting violation on Wimp Sanderson. Let go already.

hey BS: how much money are we talking about anyway? and is it the UA system that pays UAB the money, or the UA athletic department, or what?

i think a UAT/UAB bowl game this year would be awesome. i'd watch.

Don't they still play at legion. This could be a big reason why no one comes to the games. I know, I would be hesitant to go to any party the old gray lady was hosting. I think if they played somewhere else. (possibly the Met) More people would show up. I'm not sure if it would be enough, but im sure it would be more than what theyre bringing.

Don't they still play at legion.  This could be a big reason why no one comes to the games.  I know, I would be hesitant to go to any party the old gray lady was hosting.  I think if they played somewhere else. (possibly the Met)  More people would show up.  I'm not sure if it would be enough, but im sure it would be more than what theyre bringing.

105201[/snapback]

Don't start the "New Stadium" talk...that's more money out of UAT's pockets.

Seriously, Birmingham will have a "Georgia Dome" type facility in the next 10 years. They just have to settle the funding debate, I believe they may be rather close to a decent proposal if they get it on the ballot. That will, most likely, be UAB's home.

1) UAB is making almost no money if not losing it in football.

2) Legion Field is going to be a Bham albatross unless they buy out all the urban blight fromaround it. Now, the upper deck is basically condemend for life because no one is going to spend any money to fix it in the hell hole of a neighborhood it is in.

3) UAB must get a new home or have Legion Field ressurected soon to be competitive.

4) UAT sees UAB as a small drain on recruiting talent, not much, but a threat nonetheless.

5) UAB could get to financial respectablility by playing :ua: and :au: so why dont they play?

The real problem to UAB is to hang around untill Legion Field is seriously redone or torn down and a Dome built.

1) UAB is making almost no money if not losing it in football.

2) Legion Field is going to be a Bham albatross unless they buy out all the urban blight fromaround it. Now, the upper deck is basically condemend for life because no one is going to spend any money to fix it in the hell hole of a neighborhood it is in.

3) UAB must get a new home or have Legion Field ressurected soon to be competitive.

4) UAT sees UAB as a small drain on recruiting talent, not much, but a threat nonetheless.

5) UAB could get to financial respectablility by playing :ua: and :au: so why dont they play?

The real problem to UAB is to hang around untill Legion Field is seriously redone or torn down and a Dome built.

105230[/snapback]

I'm sure they got a nice check from Florida State, and a decent payout from Baylor and Miss. State. Also, Barring injuries, they should earn a bowl bid. UAT may not need to support them this season. They stadium issue is a legitimate issue, but when Birmingham decides which direction to go with the BJCC and Legion Field, that will be resolved. There is no need for UAB to put up any cash other than rent. UAB will benefit from UAT pulling all their remaining games from Legion Field.

105178[/snapback]

Money obviously...but we didn't blame AUM for "draining our budget" and claim they don't deserve whatever programs they feel they can support. This hatred and controversy between UAB and UAT has been laughable to everyone watching from the outside. To think it all started with Gene Bartow reporting a recruiting violation on Wimp Sanderson. Let go already.

105184[/snapback]

Does AUM have a d-1 football program? Bad example.

:lol::lol: If AUM had a football program, They would be 7 point favorites over uat! :au::)

Archived