I'm having trouble understanding some things

bammanmr

Everyone seems to be talking about how this game is going to be close. I just don't see it. Unless our playcalling is horrible, and we play like crap, I don't see us scoring less than 30. And we all know, when we score 30, we win.

Our offense, which ate them up last season, is, IMO, better this season, while their defense lost it's best players and then loses simon. I just don't see them slowing our offense down.

Their offense has looked good to this point. However, they've played 2 horrible teams and, after watching florida play kentucky saturday, a very overrated florida team. I don't buy for a minute that their offense is improved. It may be just as good, but you don't lose a senior QB and your best WR (banks) and be a better offense. The stats may be better, but just remember, they have come at the expense of 3 horrible defenses.

Unless we committ bad penalties, turn it over 4-5 times, or suffer from some nalsmingeresque play calling, we win by 17, at least.

If we whack 10ac in Knoxville, I'll be shocked...I'd take a 1-pointer and run with it.

i have a hard time seeing our offense do any better than it did a year ago. i don't care who is calling the plays it is hard to top what we did last year. add that to the fact that homefield is generally worth 4 points and you see why everyone thinks it'll be a close game.

i think we should win. we don't always win when we should (just like we don't lose when we should) which is kinda the frustrating thing about auburn. we've got a better defense (and one that can take away the run which no one has done to those freshmen qbs so far... not even close), a better backfield (qb included), and the rest of the offense is a toss up. granted i'd take every special teams player they have over our's, but that's about it. given all that, if i could get a 1 point win... i'd take it in a heart beat. that's going to be a tough one point to get.

bammanmr, i rarely feel confident about ANY game vs. a conference opponent. i can objectively assess most any game, but when it concerns AUBURN, i'm by nature a pessimist. i think it comes from growing up 'auburn' in the 70s...i'm not sure.

any other old timers feel the same way as i do?

ct

i grew up in the glory years of the 80s and 90s. i'm still a pessimist before and during the game. my gut hurts most of the time until we do good, and i get to breathe easily. i think it's just something about growing up auburn period.

I never feel confident about any conference game either...and especially on the road. Going to Knoxville is a tough win for anyone (just ask Florida). If we get out with another 1 point squeaker, I'll be just as happy as I would a 21 pt win.

I never feel confident about any conference game either...and especially on the road.  Going to Knoxville is a tough win for anyone (just ask Florida).  If we get out with another 1 point squeaker, I'll be just as happy as I would a 21 pt win.

105185[/snapback]

Since 1981, Auburn is 12-17-1 against ranked SEC opponents on the road.

I never feel confident about any conference game either...and especially on the road.  Going to Knoxville is a tough win for anyone (just ask Florida).  If we get out with another 1 point squeaker, I'll be just as happy as I would a 21 pt win.

105185[/snapback]

105190[/snapback]

hey stat...can you break those wins/losses out by year?

did a lot come in the run in the 80s?

105190[/snapback]

Thanks Stat for feeding my insecurities. ;)

105193[/snapback]

How about...

Since 1981, Auburn is 32-8 against SEC opponents on the road, when they gain 150 yards rushing or more. This includes a 7-3 record against ranked SEC opponents on the road.

1981-1992: 4-8-1

1993-1998: 3-4-0

1999-2003: 5-5-0

:au: I think (which can be radioactive) that AUBURN will beat Tennessee by 10 points. Reason:

1. UT has not faced a Defense as good as ours this year. Florida has a good "D", but they are not nearly as good as ours. the freshman will have their hands full Saturday night.

2. The two prong rushing attack of Willaims/ Brown will devour 225 yards total, as well as scoring three TD's.

3. We are due to continue this all the way to the showdown with UGA.

Auburn 34

UT 24

:au::D

105215[/snapback]

Hard to believe the best record is in the last few years. Also more of those type games in a shorter timespan. I honestly didn't realize the schedules had gotten that much more difficult in recent years. :blink:

I am saying Auburn pulls out a 14-13 victory and if so we should be proud. I think Tennessee for some reason is better this year as a team but they do not have the best individual players.

We were very happy with a 1 point victory over LSU so a 1 point victory over a highly ranked Tennessee at Knoxville will do wonders for us in the polls. If we somhow blow out UT(which I doubt will happen) the pollsters may think that UT was overrated and discount our victory.

Auburn wins if we hold UT to under 13 points or we score over 30.

Here's to me being too conservative.

105190[/snapback]

Thanks Stat for feeding my insecurities. ;)

105193[/snapback]

How about...

Since 1981, Auburn is 32-8 against SEC opponents on the road, when they gain 150 yards rushing or more. This includes a 7-3 record against ranked SEC opponents on the road.

105212[/snapback]

Is it me or did we get better through the years on the road....

105215[/snapback]

thanks stattiger.

that's exactly the opposite of what i'd have imagined it being. of course, i think the SEC was stronger in the 80s than it is now, so i'm not so sure why i was surprised.

ct

bammanmr, i rarely feel confident about ANY game vs. a conference opponent. i can objectively assess most any game, but when it concerns AUBURN, i'm by nature a pessimist.  i think it comes from growing up 'auburn' in the 70s...i'm not sure.

any other old timers feel the same way as i do?

ct

105172[/snapback]

I'm an old timer who knows exactly how your feel. But I don't consider it a sign of an inferiority complex, merely the sign of a rational being.

I'd rather enjoy our victories and accept our defeats with dignity without losing my love of AU, than grow up to be conceited, irrational, and obnoxious with an over-inflated ego that can't accept reality. But that's probably because Shug was human, while Bear, as we were all taught, was divine. :roll:

[bG and our regular Bama members excluded from the above--they are usually pretty rational. Sure you're not a closet Auburn fan, BG?]

StatTiger Posted Yesterday, 08:04 PM

TT has won one a year against a ranked SEC opponent on the road:

UGAy 99, Ole Sis 00, UGay in 01, bummer 02, Arky 03

This will be his only chance this year to keep the string.

He'll get more chances next year. Look at the schedule:

Sept. 3 GEORGIA TECH AUBURN

Sept. 10 MISSISSIPPI STATE AUBURN

Sept. 17 BALL STATE AUBURN

Sept. 24 SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI AUBURN

Oct. 1 SOUTH CAROLINA AUBURN

Oct. 15 at Arkansas Fayetteville, Ark.

Oct. 22 at LSU Baton Rouge, La.

Oct. 29 OLE MISS AUBURN

Nov. 5 at Kentucky Lexington, Ky.

Nov. 12 at Georgia Athens, Ga.

Nov. 19 ALABAMA AUBURN

What moron set that up? Five home games(including all our out of conf), a week off, and six straight SEC games, four of them away. :o

Its hard to think that this game will be nothing but close. Being played in Knoxville UT should have an advantage but, with that being said I believe that Auburn will still win a close one......... By the way how do you think Corso will look putting on Aubies head on Gameday?????????

WAR EAGLE

Tennessee’s offense will expose Auburn’s defense this week. LSU's insane two quarterback experiment made Auburn's suspect defensive front seven look much better than they really are. Anytime you hold a team to just 10 points on their own home turf you should win that game. There is no way LSU should have lost to Auburn.

Archived