Russell Wilson

auburn4ever

I don't think I like this.

Why?  I don't believe it since Schad is reporting it, but Wilson (if he were to come to AU) would be the best QB on campus the day he set foot on it as an AU player.

wde

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact the coaches would even entertain this tells me they are not sure Moseley and Trotter are capable of being starting QB's in the SEC. Honestly its something Ive suspected all along. We beat out South Alabama and UAB for these guys' signatures, they werent exactly coveted prospects coming out of high school. Neither of them were offered by another SEC school. I never could understand why so many people were high on Trotter, we only saw him perform in mop up duty of blowouts and spring games.

The fact the coaches would even entertain this tells me they are not sure Moseley and Trotter are capable of being starting QB's in the SEC. Honestly its something Ive suspected all along. We beat out South Alabama and UAB for these guys' signatures, they werent exactly coveted prospects coming out of high school. Neither of them were offered by another SEC school. I never could understand why so many people were high on Trotter, we only saw him perform in mop up duty of blowouts and spring games.

outside of injuries, tell me where else you typically see a backup QB play.

I think you've gone a little too far to make your point.  Just because we beat out some lesser ranked programs for their signature does not means these QBs are no good and never will be any good.  Do you have specific reasons (mechanics, leadership, etc.) to base your argument on?

Coach was here in Memphis last night and had to get back to AU for an important 8 p.m. recruiting meeting, preparing to meet with a few key recruits this a.m.  When asked about the QB situation specifically he responded as usual, he would put the guy on the field that gives us the best chance to win.  He also reminded me that while it's challenging for a Frosh QB to make it in the SEC, he hammered out 8 wins with young Mitch Mustain in Arky.  Good point.  But as I recall he had a veteran line that year so I still contend that young QB + young OL = situation to be avoided if at all possible.  With the lack of separation in Trotter & Moseley this spring, it makes the Wilson angle even more compelling.  Sir Isaac's odds:  50% that our starting QB in game 1 will be someone other than the guys who played in our spring game, and 70% that the season will finish with a guy named Frazier or Wilson.

Well, I have no problem with them trying to get a guy like Wilson. Honestly, some of you guys are too stuck on the traditional quarterback coming in as a freshman and staying there all four or five years in case of a red shirt. Who cares really? Frazier would just be a freshman. It's these coaches' job to put the best player in the best position for AU to win. I don't see the big problem with this at all if Wilson plays. Furthermore, it's not like Ole Miss. Coach Malzhan will get people to produce it's just a question of how much. 

I hope that Wilson comes. He has experience. I watched Jim last year. He is a very good  QB. In my opinion, he would be the second most talented QB on the AU campus. Fraser has the most talent but it might be nice to gradually get Fraser ready. With Wilson potentially starting at QB at the beginning of the season, I would feel really good about our QB position. I still see Fraser getting a very good amount of playing time.

vids of Wilson...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYqqnCHKibw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmhQ5gg4n0g

Of course we all know that highlights can make anyone look good, and Wilson will give the AU coaches something to think about, kinda looks like a MiniCam.

I am undecided on bringing in Wilson. He better not have any drama baggage. I am all for a drama free 2011 season.

Let's see... we have a true freshman qb that wasn't here for spring practice, two scholarship qbs without any significant SEC game experience, and the coaches haven't named a starter.  We have scholarships to give and a really good experienced qb shows up on our door steps... what is the down side in giving him a scholarship, even if he doesn't start or even play it will be reassuring to have him available.

I was all against it prior to watching some of the highlights. I say what the heck....as long as he has no off the field issues take a shot at the guy.

But I seriously doubt that CGM or CGC will be calling me this afternoon to ask my opinion.

vids of Wilson...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYqqnCHKibw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmhQ5gg4n0g

Of course we all know that highlights can make anyone look good, and Wilson will give the AU coaches something to think about, kinda looks like a MiniCam.

I am undecided on bringing in Wilson. He better not have any drama baggage. I am all for a drama free 2011 season.

Let's see... we have a true freshman qb that wasn't here for spring practice, two scholarship qbs without any significant SEC game experience, and the coaches haven't named a starter.  We have scholarships to give and a really good experienced qb shows up on our door steps... what is the down side in giving him a scholarship, even if he doesn't start or even play it will be reassuring to have him available.

Well said.  If the coaches want him, then so do I.

This was never something that was absolutely not going to happen, as has been reported here and there.

I think that it is still unlikely that Wilson winds up at Auburn but it is certainly a possibility.

I can't see why anyone would be opposed to this.  He is a 3 year starter.  Yes he'll have to learn a different system but our current QB's will have to learn how to play live ball in the SEC.  I'll take the experience.

Jonesy just cracked the door open.  :we:

Yep.  When we have Jonesy commenting then we have some substance.

wde

I can't see why anyone would be opposed to this.  He is a 3 year starter.  Yes he'll have to learn a different system but our current QB's will have to learn how to play live ball in the SEC.  I'll take the experience.

Team chemistry can be a fragile thing

It has also now been reported that former Meeechigan QB Tate Forcier would be interested in us as well. Though I believe he would have to sit a year if he came here.

It has also now been reported that former Meeechigan QB Tate Forcier would be interested in us as well. Though I believe he would have to sit a year if he came here.

If he would have to sit a year then that would be the most useless transfer ever because he WON'T start over Frazier or Pike. <<< period

If he would have to sit a year then that would be the most useless transfer ever because he WON'T start over Frazier or Pike. <<< period

Oh I agree...I was just adding that info to the discussion...I much prefer Kiehl and Zeke. Though I do agree that Wilson is an intriguing player if in our offense.

I trust our coaching staff to make the right decision, but something else to consider is the number of injuries Trotter has sustained in his career.  If Trotter is the starting QB in September, what are the chances he will make it to January without getting hurt?

I have a problem with why so many are now willing to throw Trotter and Mosely under the bus. Reading the comments here today makes me very happy that we don't get a vote on the matter. I will be veery happy with whatever the coaches decide to do. That being said, if I were Trotter and Mosely and they brought in a fifth year guy to keep the chair warm for the future, I would transfer immediately.

I have a problem with why so many are now willing to throw Trotter and Mosely under the bus. Reading the comments here today makes me very happy that we don't get a vote on the matter. I will be veery happy with whatever the coaches decide to do. That being said, if I were Trotter and Mosely and they brought in a fifth year guy to keep the chair warm for the future, I would transfer immediately.

Odds are they would end up doing that if Frazier beat them out as well.  Might be one of the reasons we don't have a starter named out of spring practice.

Of the 2, I think Trotter is more willing to stick it out, ie Caudle, than Moseley. If Wilson were to come in I would think Moseley would be the one to transfer. Barrett has always struck me as more of a team-first kind of guy. Where-as I think Clint has made mention of possibly transferring before.

And with Kiehl coming in this fall, followed by Zeke, I think Trotter would be willing to show these guys the ropes and help them learn the offense.

Archived