Screen passes

AustinTiger

Was it just because, as I've read elsewhere that the HB was always spied on by the SS?

Were we tipping the play?

Just bad luck in the Rock-Paper-Scissors timing of the screen calls?

I was glad to see some screen calls against MSU. Seems like just a few of these per game should be good for keeping D's more honest when it comes to putting pressure on the QB.

Were they really putting SS onto HB all the time? Was out late game passing success in any way attributable to SS spying?

I hope keep throwing a screen pass or two per game. I just hope we look a letter better than we did against LSU.

My take on it was that LSU's defense was so quick, the screen never had a chance to develop. They were in JC's face too quickly

Luke makes a very good point. It really only takes one player with good instincts to shutdown a screen. In four years do you ever remember anyone running a screen for big yards on us when DeMarco McNeill was on the field? The longest gain anyone ever had was like 8 yards and that was because DM was injured and had to hobble to make the play. I have never seen a man eat up a screen like the D-lineman from Blount that was too small to play for Bama.

Exactly. Quickness and good coaching to recognize the screen being set up. I agree too that the screen should only be called 1-2 times a game tops because it gets easier to spot everytime you run it.

Speed and poor execution.

Screens get blown up in the SEC all the time. The "rock, paper, scissors" analogy was a good one. Only when you catch the team on a hard blitz will a screen work in the SEC.

The screens were ineffective for 2 reasons:

1. Because LSU was in man to mancoverage on our RB. Therefore, the defender ran to the RB at the snap. The RB were always covered by a LSU defender when JC tried to throw the ball.

2. The LSU pass rush was to fast for the play to develop. The defenders got to JC before the screen could develop. The RB were covered and JC had to throw before the linemen were in a position to block on the play.

We ran screens to try to slow the LSU pass rush and to make a big play when we thought they were going to blitz. To thier credit, the covereage was correct on the play and thier guys got to JC quickly.

:dance::cheer::au:

The LSU D defends the screen every day in practice, because we run it so much. It's gotten to where we recognize it like that.

LSU has a quick, well coached D. It might not be of the same caliber as the '03 version, but they're still damn good.

The LSU D defends the screen every day in practice, because we run it so much. It's gotten to where we recognize it like that.

Yeah, I believe that. The screen also seemed to be the only aspect of the borges offense that we showed before the LSU game. I'm sure they practiced alot against it, it was all they knew about our offense at the time.

I think it's because Campbell doesn't sell the pass well enough. He's suppose to draw the defense to him, but on screens he just continues to drop back. He makes it easy to read. I watched the replay and on the final drive there was one play where we wanted to run a screen and the defense started to follow Jason and then noticed his back-pedaling and ran towards the screen. Jason ended up just throwing the ball OB. He just needs to sell the pass better. Just continuing to drop back further doesn't do it.

I think it's because Campbell doesn't sell the pass well enough. He's suppose to draw the defense to him, but on screens he just continues to drop back. He makes it easy to read. I watched the replay and on the final drive there was one play where we wanted to run a screen and the defense started to follow Jason and then noticed his back-pedaling and ran towards the screen. Jason ended up just throwing the ball OB. He just needs to sell the pass better. Just continuing to drop back further doesn't do it.

105850[/snapback]

As a frequent critic (and cynic) of things done by Jason Campbell, I can honestly say I don't think it had jack to do with him against LSU. I think their defense was just too fast and too well coached to let us make the screen pass work. We also weren't doing a fantastic job of protecting Campbell, so I have a feeling they weren't ever really sending the whole family on us...just a few backs to annoy.

Archived