Cool read on AU - UT Rivalry

DoubleJ230

YAC FOR THE CADILLAC

Auburn's leading rusher with 395 yards, Tigers' RB Carnell Williams has provided plenty of second effort this season.  A total of 308 of Williams' 425 positive rushing yards (73 percent) have come after contact, including 96 against ULM, 100 against Mississippi State and 82 versus LSU.

Wow.

Tennessee used to be the "how good are we" game for us...usually fell during the last weekend of September. SEC expansion has brought Auburn a fairly new rival (LSU), but at the expense of losing Tennessee first and then Florida. I miss those annual games against the Gators and Vols.

Strangely enough, during my four years at :au: I saw more ties against Tennessee than I did either wins or losses...1-1-2.

Three of the last four meetings between Auburn and Tennessee have fallen on Oct. 2 (1998, 1999, 2004).

How could we have played on the same day 2 years in a row?

In 1990, No. 3 Auburn and No. 5 Tennessee played to a 26-26 tie in Neyland Stadium.

That bad memory was in Auburn. LOL

Heh...other side of that coin here. I remember that tie in 1990 with some degree of relief because we were down 26-9 early in the 4th quarter and :ut: 's kicker, Greg Burke, missed a straight-on FG of under 40 yards at the end. If a tie is a sister-kisser, our sister that night looked like Charlize Theron.

The tie that really sucked was the one in 1987...we had some clock management issues in the second half and didn't have a timeout to kill the clock at the end of the game when we were right on the edge of being in FG range. It would have been a long FG attempt, but if I remember right, Win Lyle had already hit one pretty long FG earlier in the game.

Carlo Cheattom's crushing hit of Reggie Cobb was in '88...I still watch the video of that every now and again.

I like how the Auburntigers.com page puts out all those facts before each game. It gets me excited.

I didn't know that we are 0-4-1 in our last five trips to Neyland. Let's hope we can put a W in that record this year.

WAR EAGLE AND BEAT THE VOLS!!!!

If my soon to be 40 year old memory serves me correctly, the :ut: game was the beginning of what Coach Dye called the "Amen Corner". He always developed that bad cough in the week leading up to this game that persisted through the Bama game.

I saw a stat in there about JC and how's he's third all time in wins. He can have that record all to himself if we win 8 more games. We have seven left in the reg. season and hopefully 2 in the post season.

Heh...I remember Cobb sitting on the bench in the second half with a towel draped over his head. He got serenaded quite a bit, too.

TIS, Amen Corner was the Florida-Georgia-Alabama stretch toward the end of the season...excluding the 1997 CCG, I don't think we've played Tennessee any later than the first weekend of October.

TIS, Amen Corner was the Florida-Georgia-Alabama stretch toward the end of the season...excluding the 1997 CCG, I don't think we've played Tennessee any later than the first weekend of October.

106117[/snapback]

You are absolutely right. For some reason I was thinking there was a 4th corner involved. :ut: was a early season game on the schedule.

I saw a stat in there about JC and how's he's third all time in wins. He can have that record all to himself if we win 8 more games. We have seven left in the reg. season and hopefully 2 in the post season.

106067[/snapback]

Haven't we already been over this?

Every time you think we're going to hoist that nice trophy at the end of the year, think about 23-0 last September and come back to Earth for a few weeks.

LSU puts it very well: "Championships are won one game at a time."

WDE :au:

If my soon to be 40 year old memory serves me correctly, the :ut: game was the beginning of what Coach Dye called the "Amen Corner". He always developed that bad cough in the week leading up to this game that persisted through the Bama game.

106033[/snapback]

Maybe so, but the only real "Amen Corner" is in Augusta. Despite my love for college football, that Amen Corner takes the cake.

:au: ---- :ut:

:au: LEADS THE SERIES 23-21-3 AND :au: IS 37-0 WHEN SCORING 30+ PTS

:au: LEADS THE SERIES IN THE 60'S-70'S-80'S :ut: LED IN THE 90'S

:au: LEADS IN THE 2000'S 1-0

LAST YEAR WAS GREAT AND THIS YEAR WILL BE GREATER SINCE WE CAN

WIN AT KNOXVILLE

WAR EAGLE FROM NASHVILLE. TENNESSEE

The tie that really sucked was the one in 1987...we had some clock management issues in the second half and didn't have a timeout to kill the clock at the end of the game when we were right on the edge of being in FG range.  It would have been a long FG attempt, but if I remember right, Win Lyle had already hit one pretty long FG earlier in the game.

Carlo Cheattom's crushing hit of Reggie Cobb was in '88...I still watch the video of that every now and again.

105889[/snapback]

That was my first ever UT game. It was a tie, but a fond memory for me just the same.

Archived