Half bear, oth-er half cat;

Wild as a mink, but sweet as so-da pop,

I still dream a-bout that;

Rock-y Top, you'll al-ways be

home sweet home to me;

Good ol' Rock-y Top;

Rock-y Top, Ten-nes-see;

Rock-y Top, Ten-nes-see. :ut:

War Eagle to the Great Auburn Nation! My name is John Needham and these are my commentaries. The Tennessee Game 2004. :au:

WAR DAMN EAGLE! OOOOOOHHHHHHH! Are you ready to get it on! I am! Did you think you’ve seen it all, when your 2004 Auburn Tigers defeated the 2003 co-national champions, the LSU Tigers, 10-9? YES! Well you haven’t seen anything yet folks! It’s time for the BATTLE OF THE UNBEATENS as the SEC King Tiger, himself, Tommy Tuberville and our boys from East Alabama, travel to Knoxville to face General Phillip Fulmer and his Tennessee riflemen and full wrath and fury of the Volunteer Nation. I’m go’in to tell you, the Auburn Nation, a secret! I love Tennessee! Their fans are some of the best I have ever been associated with and There’s nothing in the world like it hearing 105,000 plus strong sing Ole Rock Top! :au:

It will also be the first time in the history of Auburn athletics that Auburn will have the SUPPORT of the HOUNDSTOOTH HATS across the state in Tuscaloosa. Well at least half of them. The other half trying to decide who they hate more: Tennessee or Auburn ... HeeeHeeee! :au:

This game’s got it all! What’s at stake? Dare I say it? I will say it! A chance for the winner to play for The National Championship! That’s right! The winner of this game not only has the opportunity to control their destiny in their respective divisions and go to Atlanta but earn a top five ranking and potentially be given a chance to play for the National Championship. Yes Sir eeeeee! :au:

Well, for your information. It’s the fifth meeting between to two schools since the SEC split into divisions in 1992. Auburn and Tennessee, before the days of divisional play, met every season. The series lasted from 1956 to 1991 and was usually was the first league game for both schools. The winner of the game would usually contend for SEC Championship. :au:

It’s 2004 and a lost to Auburn could derail Tennessee’s chances to play for the $30,000 glass football. But, Would you believe me about 50 of so years ago, Tennessee did not believe it had anything to gain by playing Auburn. What! You call yourselves fans of the sport without knowing the history of the series! OK! CLASS IS IN SESSION! (BELL RINGING) TIME FOR SOME HISTORY 101! Students take your sits and look in the Book of Housel, Volume I (that’s Saturday’s to Remember for all you freshmen out there!) and turn to Chapter 5 entitled, “Beard Beats Neyland, Auburn Beats Tennessee,” page 72. Brother Housel recounts the story. If Auburn wanted to be the best, it had to beat the best and the best, in the early 50s, was Tennessee. Tennessee’s Bob Neyland rejected Auburn’s requests for an Auburn-Tennessee series. To quote Bob Neyland, “It would not make any money and there’s no natural rivalry.” Or Perhaps it was a third reason: FEAR. FEAR of FINDING a NEMESIS. You see you have to go back to the Late 30s. In 1939, Auburn, the Louisiana Tech of the day, nearly cost Tennessee and Neyland a ROSE BOWL bid. That NEAR scare, shell shocked Neyland. He vowed never to play Auburn again! Unfortunately due to health problems, General Neyland left the football scene in 1954 and Harvey Robinson came to power at Tennessee. Seeing an opportunity Auburn’s Athletic Director, Jeff Beard, called Robinson. Robinson liked the idea so much, he signed a contract with Auburn to establish the first Auburn-Tennessee series in nearly 20 years. The first game between the two schools was scheduled for Birmingham in 1956. Upon hearing the news, Neyland was furious. He came back to Ole Rocky Top 1955 and immediately went to work to kill the deal. Neyland thought Auburn would back down under the pressure of “The General” but Auburn Held firm. “Tennessee won’t play Auburn … We just won’t show up. If Auburn goes, they’ll have to scrimmage themselves.” Tennessee would show up in Birmingham and so did the fans who sold the event out. The Volunteers would carry the day in 1956 and Neyland walked away with a smile on his face and a check for $63,924.05. :au:

One year later in 1957, Auburn, under the leadership of Ralph “Shug” Jordan, would get what it wanted. Not only would it beat Tennessee in Knoxville but Auburn would attain its goal: A National Championship and become the BEST of the BEST! :au:

In closing, I would like to quote David Housel, :au:

“Ole General Neyland had been right about one thing: Auburn had proven to be a nemesis to Tennessee. The Vols didn’t have much to gain by playing Auburn – they won only five of the next 16 games. But he had been wrong on another count. An Auburn-Tennessee series would be a success. It would make money. It would fill stadiums and sell-out crowds. Jeff Beard had won the war with Neyland and Auburn, more often than not, won the battles with Tennessee.” :au:

I will not be in Knoxville for the game but as I sit down in my chair and prop my feet up on my ottoman Saturday night, turn the channel on my cable box to ESPN, drink in hand, I will be with my boys in spirit and thinking of how lucky we all are to be a part of what we call the great Auburn Family. :au:

War Eagle! War Eagle to you All! War Eagle Forever! And Beat Tennessee! :au:

yeah i do wonder if most of the Bama fans are actually pulling for us this weekend or maybe for Neyland Stadium to just fall into a big ole sink hole and take care of all of us. :D

Archived