It's time for our offense to step up!

StatTiger

Earlier this week, there were several posts about Auburn playing their 11th game against a top-ten team over the past 24 games. We are 6-4 in our last top-ten games, which isn't too shabby.

Looking back at the six victories, the defense has held those six teams to an average of 9.3 pts per game.

Tennessee was the only team to score more than 9 pts against our defense in those 6 games, scoring 21 last year.

It's obvious that our defense has been key to our success against top-ten teams. In fact, our offense has averaged only 14 pts per game and 284 yards against those top-ten teams. :(

We are 2-2 against top-ten teams on the road during the same time period ( Last 25 games ). The offense has averaged only 10 pts on the road and the defense was key in victories over Alabama ( 02 ) and Arkansas ( 03 ).

With all this in mind, I don't see our untested defense, holding UT to under 10 pts this Saturday. In fact, I believe that it will be a challenge to hold them under 24 pts. Based on the comments made by Coach Borges, Auburn plans on letting it all hang out on offense. :big:

This game has all the makings of a high scoring affair and our offense will be called upon to score more than 14 points to win. We have great senior leadership on offense and it's time for them to make their stand...

:au::cheer::cheer:

It would be nice to see our offense click on all cylinders in a huge game like this. It would make a statement to college football and put the confidence of this team over the top. I liked the attitude of Brett Favre this past weekend in his press conference after the game. They got throttled by Indy but Favre was pumped about GB's ability to score points in a hurry.

If AU loses this weekend, I won't feel too bad if we go down swinging and puttin' points on the board.

As always, Great Stuff STAT!

what is the road W-L with AU scoring over 20 or 21 pts?

just curious.

105985[/snapback]

Under Tuberville, we are 10-2 away from Jordan-Hare, when we score 20 or more pts. The losses came to Michigan ( 28-31 ) and UF ( 23-30 ).

You guys sure sound nervous, were going to roll over your cubbies. We will match and raise your running game!

106074[/snapback]

Second verse, same as the first. C'mon at least try to post something new.

#1 Who can argue with Stat? (So I will not. I too believe that we are gonna' need to score over 21.)

#2 Is it just me or are SOME of these vols beginning to act like :corndog: ?

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

You guys sure sound nervous, were going to roll over your cubbies. We will match and raise your running game!

I remember other folks saying this about ...oh... 3 weeks ago?

Under Tuberville, we are 10-2 away from Jordan-Hare, when we score 20 or more pts. The losses came to Michigan ( 28-31 ) and UF ( 23-30 ).

105991[/snapback]

Both of those games we shoulda/coulda won if we showed up in the first half. I think that is definitely the key Saturday night, we better play them even or ahead in the first half, if we want to pull it out in the 4th...

I think its going to be like the Auburn-Florida games in the 90's.........I hope our offense can keep up. :au:

Yeah, I think we traditionally do quite well against against teams that have a good offensive and a defense that is suspect. For whatever reason Chizik's defense seems to do a good job of slowing down quick strike offenses. Its the more grind it out run/option based offenses that seem to have hung the big numbers on us lately. I think we will hold TN to around 20, which means our offense will have to play well, but not incredible. For every point over 20 that TN puts up I will get a little more worried.

Fifth game of the season--it's time for CAB to uncork some of that 40-point elixir he carries in a flask.

Mixes it up right in the field house sink.

Best part is, it leaves no hangover--except maybe for John Chavis, UT D-coordinator.

OrangePulp18 :shoot:

I was first saying that this would be a low scoring affair with the Power of Dixieland winning 14-13 but now I say Tigers 31 Hillbillies 7

Your running game needs to break into double digits in yardage before you can compare it to Auburn's.

Fifth game of the season--it's time for CAB to uncork some of that 40-point elixir he carries in a flask.

Mixes it up right in the field house sink.

Best part is, it leaves no hangover--except maybe for John Chavis, UT D-coordinator.

106205[/snapback]

You know, it occurred to me this morning that Borges is licking his chops for a game like this. Our first test against LSU had to be a "grind it out", field position battle. This game will be an offensive showcase. I'll bet that there is a plan to score early and often. A little riskier offensive strategy designed for the big payoff maybe?

This could be lots of fun. :au::homer:

Archived