Can you imagine the pressure on UT ......

cadillacattack

If the Dawgs beat LSU, it places pressure on UT and it's freshman QB. If LSU wins, I don't believe it places any more pressure on AU though, because I believe AU wins this game. Here's my take:

I don’t claim to be a football expert, but I’ve been fretting about this game for months and have finally reached a decision – Auburn will win this game. In the preseason, I felt UT’s offense was at a distinct disadvantage for three particular reasons: QB uncertainty , O-line health, and coaching staff. Fulmer seems to have resolved the issues with the staff chemistry and outward appearances would seem to indicate that the O-line has gelled and he’s found himself a couple of solid QB’s. However, statistics are sometimes misleading.

In the matchups against UNLV, UF, and LaTech the Vols are a combined 114-63 with all three games at Neyland. The three opponent’s defenses share a common trait – suspect cornerbacks – thus forcing opposing linebackers to frequently drop into “soft” coverage and expose the corners to the run. Hence UT’s substantial performance in the rushing statistics category, especially when running outside the tackles. When you’re consistently ripping off 6-8 yards on first down, you have the distinct advantage of being able to open up your offense to it’s fullest potential.

Fulmer and Sanders deserve a lot of credit for placing UT’s offense in a lot of favorable, third-and-short situations which has resulted in 3 primary benefits: First, it forces the D to commit to stopping the run first, thus allowing favorable man-coverage matchups on the outside. Second, it takes pressure off his frosh QB, so less opportunity for decision-oriented mistakes. Lastly, the play-action fake freezes the LB/Safety, thus opening up the middle for the Slot and TE routes for first downs (and significant YAC.)

IMO, here’s the difference. Auburn’s secondary is significantly better than any UT will have faced this season and that changes the dynamic considerably. Chizik is not going to allow UT’s offense to rush for significant 1st/2nd down yardage. The AU defense will work to put the freshmen QB’s into 3rd-and-long situations, where Chizik can comfortably disguise blitz/coverages and bait the rookies into forcing something where they probably shouldn’t. More than anything else, this game could easily be remembered for AU’s ability to capitalize on UT mistakes.

Contrary to popular opinion, our concern should not be with the Vols WR corps. I fully expect Auburn’s secondary to match-up well and I expect our DE’s to provide enough pressure to disrupt UT’s timing patterns. Will this lead to poise or to frustration? Ainge and Schaeffer will need to consistently convert while on the run if they are to remain productive. But they’ll need to do that for sustained stretches at a time because I fully expect CTT to employ Bliss in a battle of field position, especially if AU can manage to take an early lead.

Key matchups within the game.

Matchup #1 - JMO, but one of the early indicators I’ll be watching for is the play of Josh Thompson at noseguard. JT has the potential to be a disruptive force for UT’s O-line. If JT begins pressuring the gap between Respert © and Douglass (RT), it will force UT to change it’s protection schemes on the weak side – one more thing to clutter up the QB’s head. (Especially Ainge, since pressure on Douglas and A. Sears represents his blind side, but Schaeffer’s front side)

Matchup #2 - Bliss versus Dustin Colquitt. Colquitt was magnificent against AU last season and we can only hope that the maturation of Bliss will result in a stalemate with this matchup. However, I’m much more confident in Auburn’s ability to sustain drives in excess of 85 yards due to senior leadership and a power running game.

Matchup #3 - TE Cooper Wallace versus safety Corey Campbell or a LB dropping into zone cover. If Borges overloads WR’s to one side, then AU could exploit Wallace slipping underneath and that could present a favorable opportunity for big yardage down the seam. The thought of Cooper Wallace (6’-4”, 260 lbs.) in open space against safety Corey Campbell (6’-3”, 190 lbs.) must have Al Borges licking his chops.

I’m sure there are other good matchups, but these 3 will be the ones I’ll be observing as early indicators. As long as Auburn doesn’t commit turnovers, I’m confident we’ll return from Knoxville with a big win…… just one man’s opinion.

look for a "46" defensive alignment....the old chicago bears defense that they used under buddy ryan....this is something that i expect to see....it will make the qb's make quick(and hopefully,wrong) decisions....this defense is prone to give up the deep stuff if he is allowed time to throw deep....it gave peyton manning fits in the championship game

If the Dawgs beat LSU, it places pressure on UT and it's freshman QB.  If LSU wins, I don't believe it places any more pressure on AU though, because I believe AU wins this game.  Here's my take:

I don’t claim to be a football expert, but I’ve been fretting about this game for months and have finally reached a decision – Auburn will win this game. In the preseason, I felt UT’s offense was at a distinct disadvantage for three particular reasons: QB uncertainty , O-line health, and coaching staff. Fulmer seems to have resolved the issues with the staff chemistry and outward appearances would seem to indicate that the O-line has gelled and he’s found himself a couple of solid QB’s. However, statistics are sometimes misleading.

In the matchups against UNLV, UF, and LaTech the Vols are a combined 114-63 with all three games at Neyland. The three opponent’s defenses share a common trait – suspect cornerbacks – thus forcing opposing linebackers to frequently drop into “soft” coverage and expose the corners to the run. Hence UT’s substantial performance in the rushing statistics category, especially when running outside the tackles. When you’re consistently ripping off 6-8 yards on first down, you have the distinct advantage of being able to open up your offense to it’s fullest potential.

Fulmer and Sanders deserve a lot of credit for placing UT’s offense in a lot of favorable, third-and-short situations which has resulted in 3 primary benefits: First, it forces the D to commit to stopping the run first, thus allowing favorable man-coverage matchups on the outside. Second, it takes pressure off his frosh QB, so less opportunity for decision-oriented mistakes. Lastly, the play-action fake freezes the LB/Safety, thus opening up the middle for the Slot and TE routes for first downs (and significant YAC.)

IMO, here’s the difference. Auburn’s secondary is significantly better than any UT will have faced this season and that changes the dynamic considerably. Chizik is not going to allow UT’s offense to rush for significant 1st/2nd down yardage. The AU defense will work to put the freshmen QB’s into 3rd-and-long situations, where Chizik can comfortably disguise blitz/coverages and bait the rookies into forcing something where they probably shouldn’t. More than anything else, this game could easily be remembered for AU’s ability to capitalize on UT mistakes.

Contrary to popular opinion, our concern should not be with the Vols WR corps. I fully expect Auburn’s secondary to match-up well and I expect our DE’s to provide enough pressure to disrupt UT’s timing patterns. Will this lead to poise or to frustration? Ainge and Schaeffer will need to consistently convert while on the run if they are to remain productive. But they’ll need to do that for sustained stretches at a time because I fully expect CTT to employ Bliss in a battle of field position, especially if AU can manage to take an early lead.

Key matchups within the game.

Matchup #1 - JMO, but one of the early indicators I’ll be watching for is the play of Josh Thompson at noseguard. JT has the potential to be a disruptive force for UT’s O-line. If JT begins pressuring the gap between Respert © and Douglass (RT), it will force UT to change it’s protection schemes on the weak side – one more thing to clutter up the QB’s head. (Especially Ainge, since pressure on Douglas and A. Sears represents his blind side, but Schaeffer’s front side)

Matchup #2 - Bliss versus Dustin Colquitt. Colquitt was magnificent against AU last season and we can only hope that the maturation of Bliss will result in a stalemate with this matchup. However, I’m much more confident in Auburn’s ability to sustain drives in excess of 85 yards due to senior leadership and a power running game.

Matchup #3 - TE Cooper Wallace versus safety Corey Campbell or a LB dropping into zone cover. If Borges overloads WR’s to one side, then AU could exploit Wallace slipping underneath and that could present a favorable opportunity for big yardage down the seam. The thought of Cooper Wallace (6’-4”, 260 lbs.) in open space against safety Corey Campbell (6’-3”, 190 lbs.) must have Al Borges licking his chops.

I’m sure there are other good matchups, but these 3 will be the ones I’ll be observing as early indicators. As long as Auburn doesn’t commit turnovers, I’m confident we’ll return from Knoxville with a big win…… just one man’s opinion.

106493[/snapback]

Yeah I am of like mind, I think Chizik and Borges have a few things in store for the game. Ok I am ready lets get this game started!

I know one thing for sure after reading that, Auburn fans are much smarter than Bama fans! I can't discount anything you said other than the real strength of the Ut offense has been the 8 quality wide receivers. If you can cover them man to man it will be a long night if not you need to score a lot of points. This year we have a balanced attack but it all revolves around teams being forced to play various zone coverages because of the receiving corps, opening up the running game. This is the reason we have had 12 drives of over 80 yards and will be the key to our offensive success Saturday night. I have no idea what he key to our defensive success will be other than crossed fingers!

Ya, let us actually beat LSU.....

106546[/snapback]

I could be wrong, after all I have been wrong before but I think UGA has a coming out part; its by no means a blow out but I think UGA takes care of LSU in a very good game.

the real strength of the Ut offense has been the 8 quality wide receivers. If you can cover them man to man it will be a long night if not you need to score a lot of points. This year we have a balanced attack but it all revolves around teams being forced to play various zone coverages because of the receiving corps, opening up the running game. This is the reason we have had 12 drives of over 80 yards and will be the key to our offensive success Saturday night

Well, that's one way of looking at it, but let me propose another viewpoint.

It's been UT's ground game and a distinct lack of a defensive rush that has made UT's receivers better-than-expected. The reason UT has had 12 drives of over 80 yards is because most of them were against UNLV and LaTech - defenses that had no answer in stopping UT's will to run the football. It could also be said that UF's defense against the run has also been suspect without the presence of Channing Crowder early. Either way, the Auburn defense will present a significantly stronger challenge for Houston.

Ainge will not have the luxury of resting comfortably in the pocket this time.

the real strength of the Ut offense has been the 8 quality wide receivers. If you can cover them man to man it will be a long night if not you need to score a lot of points. This year we have a balanced attack but it all revolves around teams being forced to play various zone coverages because of the receiving corps, opening up the running game. This is the reason we have had 12 drives of over 80 yards and will be the key to our offensive success Saturday night

Well, that's one way of looking at it, but let me propose another viewpoint.

It's been UT's ground game and a distinct lack of a defensive rush that has made UT's receivers better-than-expected. The reason UT has had 12 drives of over 80 yards is because most of them were against UNLV and LaTech - defenses that had no answer in stopping UT's will to run the football. It could also be said that UF's defense against the run has also been suspect without the presence of Channing Crowder early. Either way, the Auburn defense will present a significantly stronger challenge for Houston.

Ainge will not have the luxury of resting comfortably in the pocket this time.

106567[/snapback]

UNLV and LAtech are certainly not as good as MSU and Louisianna of the week. I could use the same scenerio about the Auburn running game which we know would be untrue. We have the same line and backs as last season but could not establish the run or sustain longs drives against Fresno, Marshall or UF early on. Reason, our wide outs could be guarded with mostly man to man coverage. Florida said the same thing about rushing the young QB, they are not as good as Auburn but then they never came close to a sack. I still say if you can be successfull with man to man coverage we are in trouble, otherwise you will face the same problems as everyone else. Admittedly your secondary has a better chance of doing that than the other teams we have faced.

China, I haven't said it yet -- but I'm glad you're here. It's been so long since we have good, sustained football talk with opposing fans and not smack.

China, I haven't said it yet -- but I'm glad you're here. It's been so long since we have good, sustained football talk with opposing fans and not smack.

106578[/snapback]

Thanks, I like this place. You guys certainly know SEC football. You have a good team and so do we and nothing we say here will change that. I'm buckling my seatbelt for this one! :big:

I know one thing for sure after reading that, Auburn fans are much smarter than Bama fans!

106548[/snapback]

:lol::lol:

And (with apologies to BG), Tennesses fans are adroit at recognising the obvious if this is any indication! ;)

"IMO, here’s the difference. Auburn’s secondary is significantly better than any UT will have faced this season and that changes the dynamic considerably. Chizik is not going to allow UT’s offense to rush for significant 1st/2nd down yardage. The AU defense will work to put the freshmen QB’s into 3rd-and-long situations, where Chizik can comfortably disguise blitz/coverages and bait the rookies into forcing something where they probably shouldn’t. More than anything else, this game could easily be remembered for AU’s ability to capitalize on UT mistakes. " -Cadillac Attack (for some reason I couldn't make my quote thing do right)

My concern with this statement is that we have consistently let people run on us and gain considerable yardage on first down to where we had to step up and make the big 3rd down play. If this happens against UT we will lose. I hope Chizik spent a ton of time letting the Defense know this all week long because it will hurt us. They have got to bring pressure starting on 1st down and not let every 1st down play gain 5-8 yards. This way the freshman qb's will be shaking in their cleats the whole time they are in for the series and it will mess with their head and hopefully throw their rhythm off.

I'm concerned because so far this year, that really hasn't happened. The Defense has got to play HUGE this game.

WAR EAGLE AND BEAT THE VOLS!!!!!! :au:

Archived