History says Tuberville best when it's big

quietfan

Looking for a positive outlook? Scarbinsky gives you a reason:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...22396320992.xml

History says Tuberville best when it's big

Friday, October 01, 2004

People are starting to wonder. When is it going to happen? When is Mike Shula going to win a big game? It won't be Saturday.

Not because Alabama won't win. Because South Carolina doesn't qualify. As important as the game is to the Tide's season, the Gamecocks are not a big rival or a ranked team. They're not Auburn or Tennessee. If Alabama wins, no one is going to paint a picture in celebration or light a cigar out of satisfaction.

It will mean something for Shula to get the better of Lou Holtz, who has a national title on his long and distinguished resume. It just won't be the signature win that every coach needs early in his tenure to inspire confidence that he'll have a long and distinguished stay.

There is a coach in this state who knows how to seize the moment. He did it again two weeks ago, and he gets another shot at it Saturday night.

His name is Tommy Tuberville.

Some Auburn fans, trustees, and presidents have spent so much time looking for flaws in their coach that they've neglected to see the big picture. A large part of that picture is his performance in big games.

In the past four years, Tuberville has beaten four different coaches who've won national championships. How many of his colleagues own victories against Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Joe Paterno and Phillip Fulmer?

Tuberville's in his sixth season at Auburn, and already his resume includes wins over seven top-10 teams - three of them away from home - with another opportunity dead ahead at No.10 Tennessee.

Six of Tuberville's seven victories over top-10 teams have come in the last 23 games. How many other coaches even face a top-10 team an average of once every four starts?

Tuberville's on pace to surpass the best coach in Auburn history in terms of big wins. Pat Dye beat 11 top-10 teams in his 12 years at Auburn, and he's got his mug on a billboard next to the scoreboard.

And we haven't even mentioned Tuberville's recent mastery of the Iron Bowl, the biggest game of all.

A legitimate knock against Tuberville hasn't been losing big games but losing by big margins. If his team is in the game in the fourth quarter, there's a good chance his team will win the game.

Consider these numbers: In games decided by seven points or less, Tuberville's Auburn teams are 17-9. When the margin is three points or less, their record is 7-3.

Doesn't coaching have something to do with winning close games? Doesn't it have something to do with winning big games?

Tuberville's history suggests that the closer the game, the better. And the bigger the game, the better.

As long as that game isn't the season opener.

All of which bodes well for Saturday night because this may be the biggest game of Tuberville's Auburn career in terms of upside. Lose it, and the Tigers still control their road to the SEC title.

Win it, and they become a legitimate national championship contender.

And this time, not just on paper.

Six Top-10 victories in the last 23 games! Even Pat Dye took 12 years (120+ games) to garner 11.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

CRUSH THE VOLS!

I now one thing. I have been dropping some HUGE bombs on the Voltalk web this week. And while I have the liberty to do so in some sort of security, I do however relish the moment when I can post the Tigers win over the Vols come Saturday night or Sunday morning.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAT THEM SMOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflol:

Folks, TT is not a bad coach! We should be thankful for the direction he has taken out school and the wins he had had. He has a winning record against top 10 teams and he has managed stay on top of those athletes who reveal a "wild side" and reigh them in. He does Auburn proud and unless I'm badly mistaken, after Saturday night, he will come out a winner....................................

Folks, TT is not a bad coach! We should be thankful for the direction he has taken out school and the wins he had had. He has a winning record against top 10 teams and he has managed stay on top of those athletes who reveal a "wild side" and reigh them in. He does Auburn proud and unless I'm badly mistaken, after Saturday night, he will come out a winner....................................

106735[/snapback]

I agree. When I was a kid (80's) I was so proud to be an Auburn Tiger, win or lose. When coach TB had been there a few years, I didn't have that same feeling about our beloved program. Despite his coaching abilities, Tubbs has proven to be a person who believes in preparing young people for life. For that he deserves our respect. :au:

106735[/snapback]

I have been saying this same thing forever. I never jumped on the "Hate and Fire Tuberville" bandwagons.

I believe CTT is THE coach and WILL BE the coach that takes our CLEAN program to the National Championship game.

I agree with you, I see him coming out Sat. night as a winner and I have a great feeling about this game and this season! WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Archived