OT: Spyware from CFN.com

lcau

Sorry for the off-topic (mods can move it if you like) but has anyone ever got spyware (Ezula) from collegefootballnews.com. Recently, my home computer was infected with tons of adware which I thought was due to a friend using my computer one afternoon while I wasn't home. Anyway, I went to collegefootballnews.com and the same junk got on my work computer, so I assume it was from that website and I had put it on my home computer because I go to that site often. I noticed recently that they added some popup ads on their home page, but I thought nothing of it. Then all this junk appears on my work computer. It has changed my registry files so now I get popups every so often without a reason, they just appear. It was something that downloaded on its own, no pop up asking me to download it. Ezula plus tons of other programs. Ad-aware can't fix it all. It found something like 300 adware items in its search.

Anyone else have this problem. Maybe I am the only one?

Thanks. everyone be safe on the drive up to Knoxvegas. WDE.

There is another freeware program called "CWShredder". It gets rid of "Cool web" browser helpers, and also finds lots of other adware/spyware crap. Do a google on "Cool Web Shredder", and it should find a website for you to download it from.

I was surprised at all the things it found and removed that Spybot and Ad-Aware missed!

These days, you can get spyware from just about any website and it is hard to keep from getting it. There are a few programs that creat "dummy" registers that make it hard for the spyware to send the info back, but mostly you just have to rely on programs like Spybot and Adaware to find the crap and get rid of it after it has already been downloaded. As far as I know, there is not much that can be done right now to prevent it from getting on you computer. I know the stuff has gotten through some of the best firewalls and software there is out there.

Thanks for the help. I have Ad-aware and Spybot. They can both identify the problems but I guess since its in the registry, they can't remove it from my system. I will try the CWShredder program next week.

I was really concerned about whether anyone else had the same situation with collegefootballnews.com? Does everyone else get pop-ups from at their home page, or just me? I believe it was one of their pop-ups, which might have also had a pop-up that gave me all this great stuff.

I guess I will have to deal with it. An IT guy is supposed to come fix it. I am about to get a new computer at home, and hope this doesn't happen again.

Archived