? about ESPN trivia question

damabama

the question was, name the last freshman qb to start the auburn / tenn game. the answer given was stan white, but then they called him a redshirt freshman. was stan a redshirt his 1st year starting or true freshman?...isnt the correct answer to this question jeff kline?..unless the split hair is stan being a true freshman?...either way, jeff really got thrown into the fire that night...we werent very good in 99...UT was coming off their natnl championship...i still believe that was the worst christening an auburn qb has ever recieved...

i dont know the answer to your question, but in 1999, if we had Ben Leard the whole year, we would have won at least 7 or 8 games. Anyone remember how him and Ronney Daniels absolutely destroyed Georgia? We would have challenged for the SEC West i believe (I'm not too sure about that, but i think so), if we had Ben Leard. But Jeff Kliene wasn't a very good QB to begin with...

I think DKW and I decided during the game that Kline was a Sophomore. And DKW answered the question without hesitation. :) I was only 13 that year and can only remember that I was an AU fan...

DKW just showing his age. :D

My guess was Klein. The wonderboy who threw a pick to open the UT game which was returned for a touchdown!!!! Five seconds in, down by six!!!

I called a buddy of mine on the way to the UT game. I told him, "I guess by now, you've heard about Jason Campbell. .....long pause..... He's quit the team and Tuberville's been forced to start Jeff Klein!!!"

I wowed a lot of people at the strip club with a quick answer to that question (along with the year, BTW).

107672[/snapback]

Watching AU games at the strip bar? Man, I wanna hang out with you. :thumbsup:

Stan White was a redshirt freshman. I remember well that Coach Sully told Stan after the '89 uat game in the locker room to "Set up now. You have gotta' carry the torch for next year!" :au:

Did Gabe Gross start the UT game in '98?

107799[/snapback]

Ben Leard started. He drove us right down the field and proceeded to throw an int, which one of their DEs took back 90 something yards.

That pic wasn't Ben's fault. It was a play that I hate to this day. Split backs, QB in the shotgun. The QB rolls to one side or the other and then shovels the ball to the back as he crosses into the middle of the line. There is little good that can come from this play yet people still run it. The problem with it this:

On a true shovel pass the ball goes straight ahead - there is nothing to prevent the ball from getting to the back. When you roll the QB out and then shovel it at an angle you are throwing the ball directly into the d-line rush lanes. That is what happened on that play. The d-linemen picked a gap and caught the ball. We ran the same play a year later against Ole Miss and rather than having the ball picked off Ben rolled into the rush lane got leveled and we lost him for half the season.

I hate that play.

Archived