Coaching Staff

JTTIGER

With very few "big time" recruits playing for AU, our coaches have done an excellent job of preparing this team. I can't recall a staff that has ever done a better job. Other than Williams, Campbell, McNeil and a handful of others, we are doing this with a bunch of blue-collar boys! Borges, Nall and Chizik have been awesome!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth is we've landed some serious recruits through the years. You wont hear that from LSU fans or Bama fans, but it is very true.

Agreed. They have all done a fantastic job!

How has Chizik worked his magic??? If you lose 5 of your front 7 that should REALLY hurt your defense...right? Someone forgot to tell Chizik.

Al, thanks for the Gulf Coast offense. Gotta love Ronnie streaking down the sidelines catching balls.

Tubby, thanks for the rekindled passion. Tubby has been keyed up since before the season. Tubby's post half time (UT), on the AU network broadcast, show a lot of fire, determination and a loyalty to his players (JC). Thanks Tubby.

WDE

This staff has played more top 10 teams than any that I can remember and managed to win the majority of those games.

11 top 10 teams out of 24 games is insane!

this is one of the best staffs in the nation(finally).....chinzik learned to coach defense at clemson under the best,bill oliver......borges does not even require a comment because the proof is in the obvious...they know TALENT without having some idiot that calls himself a "recruiting guru" telling them about all the "5 STAR" recruits.....it's time for richardson to come out with a positive statement in support of them.....coach tubs deserves that

I'm here . .I wasn't pleased with the Borges hire . . and to be fair . .I'm still not pleased with the REASON he was hired. Borges was taken as the new OC because he was the only candidate who was willing to accept Nall, Emsinger, and Knox as his offensive coaches. Other candidates who wanted the job - refused to come if they couldn't bring their own coaches.

Let's face it - with the exception of Eddie Gran, NO offensive coaches for Auburn deserved to keep their jobs last year. We had to bring in a CONSULTANT for God's Sake!!! This was another example of CTT placing his friends over the interest of Auburn . .and is not good.

That all being said. Borges and Chizik are awesome - and I think I'm going to be A-OK with CTT as long as these guys are our cordinators. However, with his track record, I will be wary when it comes time to replace them (probably due to them getting HC jobs elsewhere).

Are you sure that Borges hiring was b/c he was willing to accept the others. I thought I remember TT saying it was b/c of his ability to make adjustments at halftime. I remember hearing TT say that "after watching films, Borges was the only candidate that had answers for the USC/LSU games".

Are you sure that Borges hiring was b/c he was willing to accept the others.  I thought I remember TT saying it was b/c of his ability to make adjustments at halftime.  I remember hearing TT say that "after watching films, Borges was the only candidate that had answers for the USC/LSU games".

107756[/snapback]

That's what I remember as well.

We have a great staff. They not only know the X's and O's, but the importance of chemistry. Those "spirit huddles" the O-team and D-teams were having on the sidelines show how supportive the guys are for each other.

In my opinion, the only mistake Coach Tuberville has made was the Nall experiment. It was made with the best of intentions--not to have a new system for the third year in a row. O.K., so it didn't work. He got busy and picked what is turning out to be the best OC he could have gotten. And at the time I thought he could do better. But his judgement on Petrino was excellent and on Borges was just as good. He knows what he's doing.

After the Borges hire, I got on the web and researched all I could. Found some impressive stuff. Found out that Borges' being at Indiana was an aberration of circumstances. Found out that his obsession with the game and interest in offensive theory paralelled that of Petrino. Found out frrom a USC alum that he (the Trojan) was glad that Borges wasn't still at UCLA anymore 'cause when he was, UCLA was handing USC their head with great regularity and averaging over 40 points a game.

I ordered the Borges book, "Coaching the West Coast Quarterback" and got dizzy reading it. When he said that Campbell "was picking things up as fast as any quarterback he'd coached", I began to get excited.

The earlier post in this thread about Chizik plowing right on following the decimation of last year's defense is right on; the results speak for themselves. We were lucky that he didn't get a head coaching job last year.

My only brow-wrinkler is special teams, and that seems to be ironing out.

Anyway, so far my cup runneth over and I can't wait for the 2004 Second Act!

:clap:

"Are you sure that Borges hiring was b/c he was willing to accept the others. I thought I remember TT saying it was b/c of his ability to make adjustments at halftime. I remember hearing TT say that "after watching films, Borges was the only candidate that had answers for the USC/LSU games".

yes, I'm sure. no, I don't have a link. But Borges got the job b/c out of the candidates he was the only one willing to keep Knox, Emsinger, and Nall.

Again, I am VERY glad he is here now though . .

Are you sure that Borges hiring was b/c he was willing to accept the others.  I thought I remember TT saying it was b/c of his ability to make adjustments at halftime.  I remember hearing TT say that "after watching films, Borges was the only candidate that had answers for the USC/LSU games".

107756[/snapback]

Why let the FACTS stand in the way of some good old Tuberville bashing? :rolleyes::D

For those that know better, no explanation is needed. For those that choose not to see the truth, no explanation will be accepted. :blink:

WAR EAGLE ! ! !

I also remember CTT saying that Hugh Nall's offense would be effective . .so maybe everything CTT says isn't gospel??

I'm not CTT bashing . .I'm justing stating what happened, and feel that poeple who work for AU, should be AU's interests over those of their friends.

In this case, it worked out. CTT did a great job with the Petrino and Chizik hire . . but failed miserably with Nall - because of his loyalty with friends.

Borges is working out awesome. . .

Darn it! How dare he make ONE mistake ! ! ! :D

when its a mistake made because he was being selfish and stubborn . .its a huge mistake . .

however, it is over, I'm glad it is . .and now I truly love our coaching staff.

However, when Chizik eventually gets hired away to be a head coach - I do worry about the hire . .

CTT has had 5 cordinators . . he's batting .600 in my opinion . .

How do we KNOW what went into his hiring decision? Or. is there some ASSUMING going on here? :blink:

... CTT has had 5 cordinators . . he's batting .600 in my opinion . .

108084[/snapback]

Actually chuck, he's had 6 and is batting .500 but who wants to nitpick? :P

I've said it before but successful coordinators eventually move onwards & upwards. Coordinators that produce will always be in demand. Chizik will get his shot very soon. If Borges can duplicate what he did at UCLA and gets us averaging 40 pts/game with Campbell this year & Cox/Booker next year, then yes, an AD somewhere will probably give him another shot at a HC position. CTT should expect this to happen just as it did with Petrino. What is encouraging is the pool of talent that CTT interviewed for the OC job: I think I would have been equally happy with either Rob Spence or Chris Peterson. Same goes for when CTT selected Chizik for DC. He had a good pool of candidates and, Chizik wasn't even his first choice. We're O.K. if CTT takes a deliberate approach to hiring his coordinators. The Nall/Ensminger thing just didn't work out ... initially. The success they had at the end of the season was too late to counteract the damage done. I kind of lean to rolltoomer's view that it was made with the best of intentions. Think about this: loyalty isn't such a bad character trait to have in a head coach.

How dare he hire his friends? How many coaches that come into ANY university bring in their own staff with them, most of which being people that have been with them in some capacity before? So they didn't work out...it's not a bad idea to have people that you know in those positions at first, and Nall has proven his character by sticking with us through a demotion and producing the O-Line that he has. We could win 3 National Championships in a row and still have people criticizing every move that CTT makes. What does it take to please some people? Having a coach that wins 8-9 games a year, is classy, and runs a clean program just doesn't seem to be enough for some people.

We have a great staff.  They not only know the X's and O's, but the importance of chemistry.  Those "spirit huddles" the O-team and D-teams were having on the sidelines show how supportive the guys are for each other.

In my opinion, the only mistake Coach Tuberville has made was the Nall experiment.  It was made with the best of intentions--not to have a new system for the third year in a row.  O.K., so it didn't work.  He got busy and picked what is turning out to be the best OC he could have gotten.  And at the time I thought he could do better.  But his judgement on Petrino was excellent and on Borges was just as good.  He knows what he's doing. 

After the Borges hire, I got on the web and researched all I could.  Found some impressive stuff.  Found out that Borges' being at Indiana was an aberration of circumstances.  Found out that his obsession with the game and interest in offensive theory paralelled that of Petrino.  Found out frrom a USC alum that he (the Trojan) was glad that Borges wasn't still at UCLA anymore 'cause when he was, UCLA was handing USC their head with great regularity and averaging over 40 points a game. 

I ordered the Borges book, "Coaching the West Coast Quarterback" and got dizzy reading it.  When he said that Campbell "was picking things up as fast as any quarterback he'd coached", I began to get excited.

The earlier post in this thread about Chizik plowing right on following the decimation of last year's defense is right on; the results speak for themselves.  We were lucky that he didn't get a head coaching job last year.

My only brow-wrinkler is special teams, and that seems to be ironing out.

Anyway, so far my cup runneth over and I can't wait for the 2004 Second Act!

:clap:

108046[/snapback]

I agree, Borges was a mystery hire to me at the time. I guess that is why CTT makes the big bucks and I am part of a website...

I remember TT saying "Borges was the only candidate with an answer to USC/LSU" . I don't know if this was the ultimate decision, or if it had something to do with keeping Nall/Ensminger. But, I do remember him saying this!

Hugh Nall took a demotion? He kept his same salary $160,000 and makes $10,000 less then the offensive coordinatior. Not much of a demotion to me. Yes, how dare he hire his friends. I donate money to the athletic department for my team, and I expect decisions to be made with my money that are the best for the UNIVERSITY. Hugh Nall was not able to run an offense PERIOD. THE OTHER TEAMS KNEW WHAT PLAYS WE WERE RUNNING FOR CHRISTSAKES!!!! The only reason we developed an offense is WE BROUGHT IN A CONSULTANT!!!! There is no excuse for that! PERIOD!!! Nall is one of the best O-Line coaches in the nation?? Really???? I would think that one of the best O-line coaches could figure out how to stop a team with slanting D-lineman . .Nall certainly hasn't.

Loyalty in your school isn't a bad thing to have in your coach . . blind loyalty in your friends and giving them nepotistic positions is. Emsinger was a HIGH SCHOOL QB COACH who had been run off from TEXAS A&M as an OC. You promote him to OC a Major College Program that is preseason #6 in the nation?!?! WHAT?!?!?!?

WarTim - as for my "assuming". I post a TON of positive accurate recruiting infromation about Auburn every year without a link . .and everyone loves it and takes my word for it. Just because one tidbit is negative, doesn't automatically make it an assumption . .trust me.

And no . .winning 8-9 games a year with classy kids isn't enough. And neither would be going undefeated with a bunch of punks. For $1.8M a year, I want 10 win seasons, I want classy graduating kids, and I want offenses in which the other team doesn't know exactly what we are doing before the play!! i'm sorry, I don't think that's unrealistic.

Fortuneately, that appears to be what we have right now . .so WAR DAMN TUBBY! But I'm not going to say I don't have a right to be PISSED about last year, or feel bad about being so.

"We're O.K. if CTT takes a deliberate approach to hiring his coordinators." AULoggerhead - I couldn't agree more.

It was interesting to look at the AB thread in the Classics Forum.

VERY interesting. :D

Years ago there was a fellow in my National Guard unit who was always complaining about something ... it didn't make any difference how great the circumstances were he invariably found something negative to say. One day he was very quite. I asked if he felt bad. He responded, "yes, how did you know." I responded, "because you aren't complaining about something." Some people's personalities are such that they seem consumned with finding something negative to say about any and every situation. Let's enjoy these good times and put every effort into avoiding sounding anything even remotely like the fans of "the Other School Up the Road".

War Eagle!

Archived