Coaching Staff

JTTIGER

Winning takes care of everything.

Keep that in mind when when any of you start calling for coaching staff replacement. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any successful program. I think Phillip Fulmer's W/L record is more a reflection of his recruiting prowess rather than any coaching ability on his part. If you can line up enough blue chip athletes on both sides of the ball, 2 & 3 deep, you're going to win lots of games. Throw in a coaching guru (i.e. Spurrier, Stoops, Chow, etc.) on the staff and you're competing at the highest level.

Nobody can argue that CTT hasn't raised the level of talent being recruited to AU. I think everyone agrees, this has been a positive development since Tot's tenure ended. Look who's the Head of Recruiting: Greg Knox. Look who's brought in all the running back talent: Eddie Gran. Look who's brought in linemen talent on both sides of the ball: Hugh Nall. I'll also remind everyone that Nall was responsible for bringing in a little known recruit to AU that seemed to turn out OK: Dontarrious Thomas.

I will argue that CTT retaining his present staff while looking for a new OC allowed him (and AU) to maintain his recruiting edge. If a new OC had been granted permission to bring in his own people, recruiting would have been affected somewhat. Whether it would have been for the better or adversely, we'll never know. I do know that it takes time to develop the recruiting relationships with the HS coaches & alumni, etc. around the South and recruiting is a year round activity. Would the new guys have been able to come right in and not lose a step in the recruiting game? Again, we'll never know but I tend to think "No" unless they were raised or lived/coached in the South before. My 2 cents. Whatever. Water under the bridge now.

Btw, chuck is a bona fide Auburn man. He's only polite to the visitors because he's a mod. Those of us that go back to the WEN days know he can :poke: with the best of 'em. :au: WDE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tim, just to let you know it may sound like bs but I don't mean it as an insult when I call you a big blind homer. Whatever floats anyones boat w/ AU is good with me.

108670[/snapback]

No problem 88..... I AM AN :au::homer: ! ! !

Logger, I agree with you for the most part. But if that coaching staff isn't performing and developing players, that continuity will start hurting recruiting.

Tim Carter was coached by Knox. But for his size and speed, he was a 2nd round pick, who STILL couldnt' catch the ball that consistently - and itw as a problem

Ben O. is still relatively average for his size in speed. He was a 5* WR who was still dropping a TON of balls last year. I think the development we have seen this year is a result on the scrutiny that Borges puts on teh WR's (who are SUCH a crucial part of his offense).

No negatives on Eddie Gran from me . .that guy is a machine!

Archived