Quote from TI

MDM4AU

Wait 'till we lose to Kentucky, Southern Miss, get thrashed by UT, get thumped by LSU, god forbid lose to MSU, and get DRILLED by Auburn in TUSCALOOSA as they cap an UNDEFEATED season.

You'll think tonight was like winning a national championship...

--Thin Red Line, 10/1/2004, 20:07:00

It's looking pretty bleak over there... :lol:

I feel some sense of sympathy. Nothing seems to be going there way. I hope they win out till our game...would make for a more respectable iron bowl.

107785[/snapback]

I'm sorry. I am enjoying this season. Not out of spite, mind you, but out of scientific curiosity. If Bama posts three losing seasons in a row (which I have long thought they would) what will it do to a fan base that has never had more than one losing season at a time since Bear was hired? Will they remain faithful or will they wash their hands of the tide? I honestly do not know. There are a lot of fair weather fans in their corner. You know, the people who say, "Auburn sucks, Roll Tide Roll" without having watched either team all year. What will they do?

I feel some sense of sympathy. Nothing seems to be going there way. I hope they win out till our game...would make for a more respectable iron bowl.

107785[/snapback]

I'm sorry. I am enjoying this season. Not out of spite, mind you, but out of scientific curiosity. If Bama posts three losing seasons in a row (which I have long thought they would) what will it do to a fan base that has never had more than one losing season at a time since Bear was hired? Will they remain faithful or will they wash their hands of the tide? I honestly do not know. There are a lot of fair weather fans in their corner. You know, the people who say, "Auburn sucks, Roll Tide Roll" without having watched either team all year. What will they do?

107837[/snapback]

It is hard being a bama fan right now. I wore my bama pre-game shirt to work on friday, and I'll wear my bama post-game shirt to work today. ANY bama fan that is ashamed to wear their gear, is not a bama fan, and I don't want them claiming to be.

I do not post here much, but I would like to say congrats on your victory over UT....also I am glad that a team from the great state of Alabama is representing this year! Bring it home fellas!!! In regards to the topic, it is very frustrating to have fans booing, leaving the game, calling for a coaches head. Guys this is football, A SPORT. Definition of Sport:

1 a : a source of diversion : (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

I love Alabama football to no end.....but I also love football to no end. This is a game and people need to stop and realize this. We sometimes forget what is important. Yes Alabama is having problems and we are not used to these problems, but things will get better. I soooo want November 20th to get here and us be 9-2 and Auburn be undefeated....but it's not likely going to happen that way, but I can still hope right! That's what makes this game, this sport so great.

Gosh I hate fair weather fans!!!

Roll Tide and good luck to the rest of your season!

A tip of the hat to tidefan. A fan should support their team through thick and thin. Sitting in the stands through every game of the '92 season made the '93 UNDEFEATED season all the more special.

uat, sad to say :D , will be back. It is only a matter of how long it will take to get there from where they are today.

WAR EAGLE ! ! !

107785[/snapback]

107837[/snapback]

It is hard being a bama fan right now. I wore my bama pre-game shirt to work on friday, and I'll wear my bama post-game shirt to work today. ANY bama fan that is ashamed to wear their gear, is not a bama fan, and I don't want them claiming to be.

107850[/snapback]

I had no problems wearing my stuff yesterday. It's laundry night, so expect to see my Bama shirt on tomorrow on campus. :)

Maybe sevral more years like this, and the continued hatred for UT by Alabama fans will eventually bring them down to a more humble level and AU and UA fans will leave in peace and actually *gulp* like eachother and root for eachother. I would love for it to be like that. When one of my friends that went to the bama sc game saturday told me that the crowd erupted with cheers when they annonced the AU UT score, that made me feel really good, and I hope that over time we can put our differences and hatred behind us. But until I stop getting publicly scoffed for wearing an :au: shirt everywhere I go, I still have to root hard for the tide to lose. It just makes life so much more peacful. Imagine if it was like that all the time. :blink:

I do not hate the Tide. I have enjoyed some of their good stuff over the years.

I only have one complaint: we never (well, rarely) thrash Bama so you can just sit back and hoist one or four and relax and be smug.

I'm waiting for that to happen this year.

:puke:

Maybe sevral more years like this, and the continued hatred for UT by Alabama fans will eventually bring them down to a more humble level and AU and UA fans will leave in peace and actually *gulp* like eachother and root for eachother. I would love for it to be like that. When one of my friends that went to the bama sc game saturday told me that the crowd erupted with cheers when they annonced the AU UT score, that made me feel really good, and I hope that over time we can put our differences and hatred behind us. But until I stop getting publicly scoffed for wearing an  :au:   shirt everywhere I go, I still have to root hard for the tide to lose. It just makes life so much more peacful. Imagine if it was like that all the time. :blink:

108069[/snapback]

I don't care if Alabama is 3-7 going into the Iron Bowl, they are going to give us all we want and them some on 11/20...and like one poster above, I would for us to have one game against them where we could rest our sphincters in the 4th quarter like they got to in 2001.

Rexbeau's comment about the possibility of three straight losing seasons for Alabama and the fan base becoming more unsettled is an interesting one...I've rarely had a problem with anyone who actually attended UA. It's the damned "sidewalk alumni" who wouldn't know calculus from cucumbers that give them such a black eye.

I was actually pulling for th Tide here and there and then, I heard them do that @#$% Rammer Jammer Cheer again and all the arrogance memories came back to haunt me.

I do wish they would show some class and stop that cheer anyway.

Slag1, you are absolutely RIGHT! I've watched Auburn for over 50 years and I defy anyone to show me a game in the Iron Bowl where Auburn has "stomped" Bammer except perhaps during the late 50's before Beah. Anyone who ever thinks that this game will be a cakewalk is out of their freakin mind. They'll be ready--count on it. We just have to make sure we stay focused and READY also! Those who think differently are just too young to remember! They (Tide) are their most dangerous when they are down and challenged. :au:

Bama brings it every year for the Iron Bowl, regardless of the records. Auburn tries to (such as in '98 when we led 17-0 and let Bama score 38 points in the last 3 quarters), but doesn't do quite as great a job as the Tide. However, I think that Bama is going to need some divine intervention this year.

My gut feeling is that Auburn goes into that game with at least 9 wins and Bama will be lucky to have 6 wins at that point...very lucky by my estimation.

And as a side note, will 3 losing seasons in a row and a nice showing by Auburn this year swing the next couple years of recruiting our way? I'm hoping so...

WDE :au:

108478[/snapback]

Yeah, but lately it has become an annual AU tradition to sing that song too.... a tradition I like! :D

Auburn beat Bryant 49-26 in 1969, Sullivan's first varsity year. (Alabama's last score was a meaningless late TD.)

Most points ever scored on a Bryant coached team.

It just doesn't happen often enough with Bama.

I was actually pulling for th Tide here and there and then, I heard them do that @#$% Rammer Jammer Cheer again and all the arrogance memories came back to haunt me.

108478[/snapback]

ACTUALLY, you did NOT hear the UA Million Dollar Band play "Rammer Jammer". You heard USC play the "Hey" song. I think they said something during it, but I was across the stadium and they were not loud enough to hear. The MDB is only allowed to play "Rammer Jammer" in the event of a win at BDS. THey cannot even play it at an opposing site anymore, as per Mal Moore. Thus far it has been played thrice this season (After all three home wins).

<rant>

As much as I hate hearing AU play it, or UM play "Hotty Toddy", I still think it's wrong to attempt to ban such playing. It's all part of the revelry and adds to the savory of victory. I mean, come on. The FCC allows the F word on tv, but we can't yell "We just beat the hell out of you"? Just another reason UT is turning into a very bitter rivalry...</rant>

It is hard being a bama fan right now.  I wore my bama pre-game shirt to work on friday, and I'll wear my bama post-game shirt to work today.  ANY bama fan that is ashamed to wear their gear, is not a bama fan, and I don't want them claiming to be.

107850[/snapback]

You are a true fan. I hope the rest of the Crimson Nation are as pure.

108478[/snapback]

ACTUALLY, you did NOT hear the UA Million Dollar Band play "Rammer Jammer". You heard USC play the "Hey" song. I think they said something during it, but I was across the stadium and they were not loud enough to hear. The MDB is only allowed to play "Rammer Jammer" in the event of a win at BDS. THey cannot even play it at an opposing site anymore, as per Mal Moore. Thus far it has been played thrice this season (After all three home wins).

I did not say I heard it at the gamebtw, that is you misreading the quote, and/or my not being very clear. I was just talking out loud about the season as a whole. Bama wins at J-H you will hear it over and over and over. There is no chance that they wont do it. I am friend with some in the "Yell Crew" Bunch. They say Whitt and Moore only said they could not do it BEFORE a game and that was the end of the restriction.

<rant>

As much as I hate hearing AU play it, or UM play "Hotty Toddy", I still think it's wrong to attempt to ban such playing. It's all part of the revelry and adds to the savory of victory. I mean, come on. The FCC allows the F word on tv, but we can't yell "We just beat the hell out of you"? Just another reason UT is turning into a very bitter rivalry...</rant>

108617[/snapback]

I have been around Bama Football since 1971. The Rammer Jammer Cheer is not a really old cheer I was last at a home game in 1984 and they did not do it then even though they beat PSU that day. I dont know when it started but it hasnt been that long ago. Hooty Toddy is ancient tradition at a school devoid of tradition.

BTW, the only place/time we do the cheer is only win we beat Bama and that is to make the point of how classless it is. BTW, TCU, yeah Tx Christian, says you stole it from them.

I'm enjoying it, seeing 'bama lose. Funny, I don't often hear words of sympathy or kindness coming from Tuscaloser when Auburn goes through tough times. I know, Auburn folks are suppose to be better than that, and we are - but still. Auburn winning is far more an issue for me than to see 'bama lose. But when 'bama does lose, I'll still notice it.

I did not say I heard it at the gamebtw, that is you misreading the quote, and/or my not being very clear. I was just talking out loud about the season as a whole. Bama wins at J-H you will hear it over and over and over. There is no chance that they wont do it. I am friend with some in the "Yell Crew" Bunch. They say Whitt and Moore only said they could not do it BEFORE a game and that was the end of the restriction.

Yes, I misread you. I thought you said you heard it at the USC game. And you are correct about th restrication, but the SEC has their own say.

In the sport of football, visiting teams will not be allowed to come back out onto the stadium turf to celebrate a victory, and the visiting team’s band will be allowed to play no more than two songs following the conclusion of the game.

http://www.rolltide.com/athleticdepartment/8773.asp

The two songs UA will play? "Yea Alabama" and the Alma Mater. I have this from the director of the MDB. Personally, I think most of that policy (see the cheerleader and mascots sections as well) is total B.S.

I have been around Bama Football since 1971. The Rammer Jammer Cheer is not a really old cheer I was last at a home game in 1984 and they did not do it then even though they beat PSU that day. I dont know when it started but it hasnt been that long ago. Hooty Toddy is ancient tradition at a school devoid of tradition.

I know it's not ancient. But it's tongue-in-cheek nature is derived from an old satire student publication at UA called the "Rammer Jammer".

BTW, the only place/time we do the cheer is only win we beat Bama and that is to make the point of how classless it is. BTW, TCU, yeah Tx Christian, says you stole it from them.

108817[/snapback]

It's not to make a point of how classless it is, it's to throw our own cheer back in our faces. If you know it is so classless, playing and singing it only brings you down to that same percieved level.

Oh, and the cheer was "stolen" from the University of Mississippi band when Dr. Ferguson was hired away from there to direct the MDB. Hence it was called "Ole Miss" by the band in the early days. There are several other bands around the nation that play knockoffs.

Archived