Is Bama Football Dead?

CShine

I know that Cecil Hurt said that Shula is safe this year. But what if Spurrier or Urban Meyer express interest??? The O.C and the D.C. will take the fall if Shula doesn't recieve his pink slip... How the mighty have fallen...

:au:

I talked to one of my buddies graduated from UA and he said that the program is just laughable right now......He doesnt think they will be go to a bowl and he is terrified of playing :au:

When you guys complain about the side-walk allumni that gets on your very last nerve, well they all post at tidefans.com Those guys kill me. One week, bama football will be fine without Brodie, because Guillon is an All-American, and the next they want to know why Pennington isn't playing. Then, when Pennington goes in, they call for Shula's head for not putting Guillon back in.

Bama football is exactly where a lot of people(non UA fans) predicted it to be, because of scholly limitations. You throw in the loss our our field general/leader, and we are really hurting right now. Unrealistic expectations get you no where in college football, but pissed off.

That question is silly. AU's program was struggling a few years ago and it wasnt even probation induced.

108377[/snapback]

It might as well have been probation as much harm that quitter did to our program. :ph34r:

:au: Poor Shula. The man is "going" to be a good coach once he matures, but it probably will not be at bama. I think Alabama has won the games they should have and lost the ones they should have. Alabama does not have the talent that Arkansas and South Carolina have. Simple as that. Arkansas may be young, but they have more "talented" players than bama. It kills me to hear on these talk shows that Shula is horrible. Hell, what do they expect after being on probation. 11-0 seasons!!! :au:

That is what I find hard to believe. They really do not think that their talent level is that far behind.

I agree. SC & Ark. have more talent right now.

My 2 cents :)

I thought that was the whole point of the NCAA putting UAT on hard probation minus death penalty.

We are now seeing the effects!

SMU NEVER recovered!

doesnt pay to cheat ppl!

WDE!!!

That question is silly. AU's program was struggling a few years ago and it wasnt even probation induced.

108377[/snapback]

It WAS probation induced. It’s taken Auburn ten years to put it behind us. It’s not just about losing the scholarships, the TV revenue the bowl money and possible championships. It turns off recruits for years. Every coach in the conference played it up. As they should. Plus it led us to hire Tater Tot; who did more damage to the program than the sanctions. You guys will probably recover faster than we did. There is a certain faction of people that will send their sons/players to Tuscaloosa not matter what. But it will be several more years before you get back above mediocre and you may never get back to winning a championship every other year. Oh, and Shula is a caretaker coach like the Tot and he will be gone in two years tops.

Oh, and Shula is a caretaker coach like the Tot and he will be gone in two years tops.

108425[/snapback]

:o You really think so?? Won't that just prolong the process even more for them?

And I'm not so sure it was probation induced. How do you make it to the SECC if you're suffering from all the things you listed? Tot just happen to take the job at the right time, then peaked, then straight up quit...

108377[/snapback]

It WAS probation induced. It’s taken Auburn ten years to put it behind us. It’s not just about losing the scholarships, the TV revenue the bowl money and possible championships. It turns off recruits for years. Every coach in the conference played it up. As they should. Plus it led us to hire Tater Tot; who did more damage to the program than the sanctions. You guys will probably recover faster than we did. There is a certain faction of people that will send their sons/players to Tuscaloosa not matter what. But it will be several more years before you get back above mediocre and you may never get back to winning a championship every other year. Oh, and Shula is a caretaker coach like the Tot and he will be gone in two years tops.

108425[/snapback]

Exactly!!! The 93-94 years were all running on fumes. We then had the big hit when those younger classes became seniors. Couple that with a coach who jumped ship when the going got rough in 98 (his fifth year, three years after probation) and you see why we went 3-8. Of course all this confirms that Bama is indeed NOT dead. But it does raise the question, "Why has Bama ALREADY had their down years. Shouldn't next year be just as bad? Only if you are capable of relying on underclassmen can you have much success this short AFTER probation. Bama was lucky to have a solid QB to carry them through. Now they are just wishing....

Listening to sports talk show this morning and the host was slamming Shula and all that is Bama (Oh, and 3 weeks ago he was saying how amazing they were).

A guy calls in and basically called the host out on it saying, "You remember our conversation last year about this time when you agreed that it would be the next 2 years when all of this stuff really hit Bama hard?"

The fact is, they're going through EXACTLY what most folks predicted would happen and EXACTLY what the purpose was for those NCAA sanctions. There's decent talent but NO DEPTH and any key injuries will kill this team. I'll be the first to admit that the situation is compounded by some really questionable coaching decisions but the bottom line is that Bama is going to face this problem for a while longer.

are yawl sure that thread wasn't started by an undercover aubie?

bama football dead? nah. as others have pointed out already, they're having the kind of years the NCAA intended them to have ... while they are officially off probation, they are NOT off the effects of probation, and probably won't be for a few years to come.

also, they haven't exactly lost to chopped liver teams. both those teams have only 1 loss each. i, personally, am a little leery of arkansas when they come to town. <<as an aside, bad things happen when arkansas week rolls around>>

also, they lost perhaps the one person they couldn't afford to lose in BC.

also, they'll never have only 30,000 in the stands. that post alone discredited the entire thread, IMO.

now...finally, i'm going to enjoy every last drop of their down years. i'm that old and i'm that shallow... :cheer::D

ct

When you guys complain about the side-walk allumni that gets on your very last nerve, well they all post at tidefans.com  Those guys kill me.  One week, bama football will be fine without Brodie, because Guillon is an All-American, and the next they want to know why Pennington isn't playing.  Then, when Pennington goes in, they call for Shula's head for not putting Guillon back in. 

Bama football is exactly where a lot of people(non UA fans) predicted it to be, because of scholly limitations.  You throw in the loss our our field general/leader, and we are really hurting right now.  Unrealistic expectations get you no where in college football, but pissed off.

108376[/snapback]

Well put. Clearly you are not drinking the cool aid. Bama will be back, but it will take a lot longer than many of the Tide fans originally thought. Three years ago they were saying sanctions would have no effect. Two years ago they said sanctions might cause one 6 win season. Last year they said the '03 season was to be expected but they would compete for Atlanta in '04. Now reality has arrived. Sanctions hurt regardless of who you are.

The sad thing is that the fans that circled the wagons three years ago are burning them now. Those same fans have blamed Mal Moore, Phil Fulmer, and the NCAA for this situation but they have not blamed the right people, themselves. Sure Mal could have done a better job and sure fat Phil didn't need to barter with the devil and sure the NCAA didn’t have to gleefully go about a their job with such passion. But none of the other parties would have had fodder had the fan base (the sidewalk alumni I believe someone called them) not put such unrealistic expectations on the school and the staffs they have hired. Without the lofty expectations thrust onto the Bama admin by the fan base the situation at the capstone would not be so grave.

:ua: “Shame. Despair. Solitude. These had been her teachers” from the Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Just to add my 2 cents on this. No, Bama Football is not dead, and will never be dead. But I do feel the days of domination are gone. Bear left around 1982, and if you look at UAs record since then, they have been one of the top tier schools in the SEC. But not THE team in the SEC as in the past. Looking at their record for the last 22 years, they are probably 4th or 5th in the SEC on winning percentage. (UF, UT, UGA, and AU probably have more wins). They have been on probation alot. They have been thru more coaches than just about any other team in the nation. But they still recruit talented players, and always will. AU is probably at the top of their game right now, and UA is at the bottom. And will be for a couple of more years. They need to be patient and let CMS coach thru the lean years, and they'll be back. As bad as I hate to say it.

Last year I used to pass a light pole on the way home from work. It had some type of vines growing on it and it was shaped almost exactly like an elephant from about the shoulders up. Everytime I noticed it I thought about bama. To make a long story short I noticed on the way home the other day that the vines are totally dead and falling to the ground. True story. Coincidence? I think not! :lol:

What does talking about Bama's current situation got to do with La Tech?

Lets let Bama lick it's wounds and worry about them after we play the Dawgs.

This is not a knock on any one person but wth is up with people jumping in on threads and telling people it is not a worthy subject?

THIS IS HOW IT WORKS. Read and post on the threads you want to and let others do the same. If you think a thread isn't worthwhile don't read it. Pretty simple isn't it?

Of course you could keep trying to force your opinions on others.

Archived