Borges

AU_MB_01

A few random thoughts on the newest Savior of Auburn Football.

The Tennesse game, I think very clearly, proved his value as a play caller. First half - 31 points. Second half (with the playbook obviously closed and just a vanilla offense) - 3 points. Sure there was an execution letdown after the big 1st half, but most of our points came off of brilliant playcalls.

Jason Campbell - Since he's had success with good QB coaches (Petrino, now Borges), its becoming more and more obvious that Campbell has always had the talent (it was just really, really well hidden). Campbell is rightly being praised for the offensive output, but Borges should get some kind of "QB Coach of the Year" award for this minor miracle.

The Bowden Effect - Bowden is a mediocre coach who surrounded himself with top shelf assistants. Tub lucked into the Borges hire, and his track record hiring assistants is decidedly debatable. If Borges turns out to be as good as we think he is, what will save our offense when he bolts for a Head Job a la Petrino? How the hell has USC kept Chow out there so long....We need to figure it out and duplicate it.

A few random thoughts on the newest Savior of Auburn Football.

The Tennesse game, I think very clearly, proved his value as a play caller.  First half - 31 points.  Second half (with the playbook obviously closed and just a vanilla offense) - 3 points.  Sure there was an execution letdown after the big 1st half, but most of our points came off of brilliant playcalls.

108577[/snapback]

"Execution Letdown?" If you watched the LSU game in 1994, you would have seen why a team that is up by 20 points doesn't need to throw the ball around in the 4th quarter. I believe that what we did (or didn't do, according to some) in the second half was perfect. Why unleash plays that no one has seen on a team that we're already waxing?

The Bowden Effect - Bowden is a mediocre coach who surrounded himself with top shelf assistants.  Tub lucked into the Borges hire, and his track record hiring assistants is decidedly debatable.  If Borges turns out to be as good as we think he is, what will save our offense when he bolts for a Head Job a la Petrino?  How the hell has USC kept Chow out there so long....We need to figure it out and duplicate it.

108577[/snapback]

The answer to the Norm Chow question is easy: MONEY.

And you think that Tuberville lucked into hiring him? You make it sound as if he found him begging at the Plaza Motel and gave him a job. I believe CTT deserves a bit more credit than that.

"Execution Letdown?"  If you watched the LSU game in 1994, you would have seen why a team that is up by 20 points doesn't need to throw the ball around in the 4th quarter.  I believe that what we did (or didn't do, according to some) in the second half was perfect.  Why unleash plays that no one has seen on a team that we're already waxing?

You missunderstand Grasshopper. I'm only pointing out the difference great playcalling makes (Borges in the first half) when compared to mediocre playcalling (Just running out the clock in the second half). Apparently it's on the order of 30 points :) . I agree with the decision to close the playbook 100%. You're arguing my point.

And you think that Tuberville lucked into hiring him?  You make it sound as if he found him begging at the Plaza Motel and gave him a job.  I believe CTT deserves a bit more credit than that.

Actually I do think he lucked into it. If you know Borges' history, begging at the Plaza was probably not far off. I personally think he got a bum deal at Cal, but the fact remains that before this year Al Borges was damaged goods. Tubs took a chance, and it payed off. Whether Tuberville is a genius or just a lucky, lucky man is a matter of legitimate debate.

And you think that Tuberville lucked into hiring him?  You make it sound as if he found him begging at the Plaza Motel and gave him a job.  I believe CTT deserves a bit more credit than that.
Actually I do think he lucked into it.  If you know Borges' history, begging at the Plaza was probably not far off.  I personally think he got a bum deal at Cal, but the fact remains that before this year Al Borges was damaged goods.  Tubs took a chance, and it payed off.  Whether Tuberville is a genius or just a lucky, lucky man is a matter of legitimate debate.

Like any other high profile job, the opening for OC at Auburn was well know. CTT and staff had much input from many sources before extensive interview of the three candidates who seemed most promising. Borges was at the bottom of the short list and was apparently there because of solicited input from other coaches. I remember reading about the interview process and was impressed with how it was done.

Was CTT lucky? On the chemistry building there is a quote to the effect that "Chance favors the prepared mind". Lombardi had his own version -luck is when preparation meats opportuinity. In this sense you could say CTT was "lucky"

Borges didn't just fall from the sky into CTTs lap. Tuberville wanted a OC that had coached and produced in the big leagues. CAB was under the radar when the hunt was going on, but CTT interviewed several OCs from the smaller colleges, and evidently they didn't meet his criteria. Borges looked at the talent on our team and knew he could produce, without bringing in any new assistants. The other candidates wanted to shake up the offensive coaching. Borges had the offensive philosphy to get the best players on the field at the same time. (RB and CW). Prior to last year, I cant remember a lot of complaints with Nall. Plus, he had to swallow his pride (if he had any left after the debacle of last year) and step down and back to the OL. Ensminger I don't understand. He has brought nothing to the table that I can see. But Borges is CTT's best hire ever, IMO. CAB has gootn a taste of top notch SEC football, and I think he's here to stay for a while. Money is the determining factor, but AU will pay someone that valuable. CTT will see to that. CGC may be a different story. He's done a masterful job with the D this year, and could bolt for a HC job somewhere. But again, money talks. AU can pay him as well as an assistant compared to a smaller college as HC. We'll just have to see. Just enjoy this year and let the chips fall wherever.

Archived