Question about UT game (officiating)

BamaGrad03

I didnt get to see the whole UT game. I did see the PI call that was total BS (and I dont mean Bamastudent). Do you guys think the refs are just bad? Or were they making a concious effort to help get UT back into the game?

If its the latter...and you combine the fact that in bama's last 2 sec games, Arkansas and USC combined for ONE flag for 5 yards...im worried what its gonna look like in Ktown when we go up there.

Im not a consipracy theorist by any means...but it does seem like UT's opponents are consistently on the "bleeding side" so to speak when it comes to bad calls these days.

The game was out of reach by the time the string of bad calls came about...the SEC refs are just bad. I really don't think there's a hidden agenda.

The PI call was BS. Plus there were consecutive calls on that drive against AU that may or may not be contested. Not an excuse, but UT finally got in the endzone on that drive. The penalties certainly helped keep the drive going. I still don't think we were robbed as bad as UF on the helmet slapping call. Now that one was total BS.

The call was BS, but there was some form of justification for it. I dont agree with it, but at least there is a rule in the book for what the ref "thought" happened.

If nothing else, it should have been offsetting PI calls. I just assumed that when the refs talked after the play, they came to the agreement that the AU player committed it first. But there were DEFINITELY 2 flags thrown on the play....I think. I had enough Beard-Eaves Specials in me to kill a small horse.

actually,after reviewing the rulebook, the PI was not a bad call.....it don't think it was a good call....a no call would have suited the situation better....the rule says that a player shall not impede another player from catching the football and rogers did slow down in front of the UT player in a deliberate act to impede him from catching the ball........but, the contact was made by the UT player first.......SEC refs just plain suck....that crew that did the game is supposed to be the best.....that means that the others are pathetic....i have seen more poorly officiated games this year,in a nationwide spectrum, than i can ever remember

...the rule says that a player shall not impede another player from catching the football and rogers did slow down in front of the UT player in a deliberate act to impede him from catching the ball........but, the contact was made by the UT player first......

108754[/snapback]

I'm by no means an expert on the rules, but surely "impeding another player from

catching" the ball has got be balanced against making a legitimate attempt at catching

the ball for the rules to make any sense at all.

I mean, if you are in better position to catch the ball than the other guy, and you

see the ball, and you are about to catch the ball, then surely your mere presence

on the field is in some way "impeding" the other player. But that don't make it PI.

Thats what I saw on that play. Our guy was in perfect position to catch the ball,

and he slowed down some because that is where the ball was going. Then he got

mugged by the WR and called for PI.

...... anyways to answer original question. I think the refs are just bad. Most I'd even

stretch to say is that they might have been biased in favor of UT because they were

the home team, not because they were UT. Thats just what happens when you combine

bad refereeing with human nature.

There were a few bad calls on both sides. For instance, on the 3rd and forever bomb, It was pretty clear the Auburn wr was out of bounds. but they did make a few tough calls that were correct, like the td pass that was called incomplete in the first quarter. they could have easily called the UT wr in, but didn't, and that was the correct call.

No conspiracy theories here.

There were a few bad calls on both sides.  For instance, on the 3rd and forever bomb, It was pretty clear the Auburn wr was out of bounds.  but they did make a few tough calls that were correct, like the td pass that was called incomplete in the first quarter.  they could have easily called the UT wr in, but didn't, and that was the correct call.

No conspiracy theories here.

108776[/snapback]

If you're talking about #1 Devin A.'s catch, you're wrong. He drug his knees in bounds on his way out.

his knee may have hit inbounds, but his elbow and pretty much his entire torso hit out before that. But whatever, it doesn't really matter at this point. You guys would have won anyway.

I already did on the CSS replay. He was out. Either way, the officiating wasn't that bad, except for a few questionable calls. Like I said, it really wouldn't have matter that much. you guys were already up by double digits at that point.

I already did on the CSS replay.  He was out.  Either way, the officiating wasn't that bad, except for a few questionable calls.  Like I said, it really wouldn't have matter that much.  you guys were already up by double digits at that point.

108792[/snapback]

that is retarded. i just rewinded that play seven times just to make sure. if you really believe that was a bad call, you sir are an idiot.

I already did on the CSS replay.  He was out.  Either way, the officiating wasn't that bad, except for a few questionable calls.  Like I said, it really wouldn't have matter that much.  you guys were already up by double digits at that point.

108792[/snapback]

that is retarded. i just rewinded that play seven times just to make sure. if you really believe that was a bad call, you sir are an idiot.

108819[/snapback]

That's great, start the name calling because I don't agree with you.

Maybe you should "rewinded" it again just to be sure, one more time. ;)

Anyway, I didn't think he was in at the game, and I watched the reply on CSS, and still didn't think so. But it's a moot point. The real problem Ihave is that he was that far behind our dbs on 3rd and 25. That's the real problem...and a problem that UT will probably have all year.

I'm done with this thread, no use in arguing it, especially when the name calling starts flying.

The CSS Replay did not have a good angle of the catch. ESPN had a great angle that clearly showed his left knee hit the ground before any other part of his body.

Archived