Mississippi State University

swensks

It's pretty obvious that MSU :msu: is struggling this year. I'm sure that many people picked them to finish 5th or 6th in the SEC West, but I, for one, felt that the addition of a new coach might spark the players to raise it up a level. It doesn't look like that's happening this year though.

Hypothetically speaking, how many years does MSU give Sylvester Croom before they look to replace him? I understand that the answer to such a question depends on so many variables that it's almost stupid to wager an answer. I think what I'm trying to get at is that MSU may have hired themselves into a corner.

Because Croom is the first black coach in the SEC, doing away with him after a short tenure wouldn't look very good, regardless of how many games he loses or how incapable he appears to be as a head coach. I'm afraid that MSU may be stuck with the guy unless they are willing to take the chance of facing a huge lawsuit. I'm in no way implying that Croom is the type of guy that has a chip on his shoulder and would sue for being fired (on the basis or racial discrimination or otherwise), but there isn't any way to tell if someone may sue on his behalf (NAACP, ACLU, etc.).

There are crazy people and crazy things going on in the world. I'm just wondering how intimate those people and things may become with SEC football over the next 5 years.

Best of luck to MSU and Coach Croom as they rebuild that program.

WDE :au:

As low as Auburn's program was after tot left, MSU is even lower, with sanctions from the NCAA looming on the horizon.

Croom will build them to be competitive, but it will take some time for them to get the quality players they need.

I believe MSU knows that, at least the MSU friends I have feel that way. Croom will make them disciplined.

Swensks

Coach Croom was left with about 1/3 the talent that Coach Tuberville was left with and that was about 1/2 of what it takes to compete in the WAC much less the SEC. He needs a good 5 years to build a program and I for one think that MSU has much brighter days ahead in the next few years.

Think of it this way: most top recruits are black and if all things are equal they may prefer to play for a coach of the same race over one that is not. I am not playing the race card but put yourself in a young black man's shoes. He probably has not had much experience with white men of authority and if he has they probably were not that great especially if they are from a small town in the South. I have personally seen and heard white men in Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Alabama make derogatory remarks about Black men and women. I do not agree but then again I did get an education and feel that I am pretty fair with everybody. My father was in the military and he always told me that in the Army everybody is Green no matter the color of their skin. I grew up in integrated military schools and was surprised when I went to public schools in Alabama at how my classmates looked down on what I was raised to call "colored" people.

Some of my best friends were Black and favorite roll models were black teachers.

WDE

Crooom may have the best team in Mississippi within 4 years and may challenge for the west within 6years.

Croom will build a good team, eventually. MSU just has to give him time. MSU was left in terrible shape, and CJS knew the axe was going to fall from the NCAA plus he was going to be fired, so he seemed to just quit caring.

Croom doesn't seem to be the type to use racial discrimination as an excuse. If they give him time to install his system with his type of player, and they adopt his winning attitude, they will be alright. But if they fire him after just one or two seasons, who knows what will happen.

I think Coach Croom WILL build State into a winner. I am thankful that uat was not smart enough to hire him. They WILL live to regret it. (Maybe they already do!)

:D

I agree MSU is way below where Auburn was when CTT took over. Even in the 3 win season, we were still talented enough to beat non-BCS opponents (in fact, Donte Culpepper led UCF, and a 9 win LaTech team) . .oh, and CTT's Ole Miss team . . ;)

Yeah it looks like he's on his way. Does anyone else see the team I see? He sucks. He was 12th in recruiting. 12thh, that's behind Vandy & Kentucky. Horrible. I admit it's great that someone hired a black coach but kissing the guys ass is too far. He's shown nothing. Everyone just goes on about how great he is. Again he sucks. Another reason Bama edidn't hire the guy is it will be impossible to get rid of a black coach. Impossible. Someone will cry racism. As they will probably do after this post of mine, & I assure you that if you knew me you'd know I don't have a racist bone in my body. I'm just stating what I see.

Instead of worrying whether MSU will fire Croom, they ought to consider if Croom will stay long enough to rebuild MSU. There's going to be a coaching vacancy with Croom's name all over it as soon as Shulla is given his pink slip -- one with no sanctions attached and people on their knees begging for him to "come home" and ready to shower him with a huge salary and anything else he wants. I would be very surprised if Croom stays at MSU.

whoa,whoa....first of all, let me state that i am an old south,conservative white man who has no use for anything that even gives a small impression of being liberal or "progressive"..... and i sure as hell am not some kind of champion for civil rights or minorities....so, you think that i am going to dump on croom?....you would be very wrong....he is rebuilding miss st. the right way.....i live about 45 minutes from starkvegas and the first thing that you should know is that they have virtually no talent....what talent they did have, he has dismissed from the team.....he is building a foundation based on character and discipline...i have listened to croom speak many times on radio and tv,and i come away more impressed each time that i hear him....he is going the same route as charley pell did when he came to florida many years ago,and for those that remember, in a couple of years he was kicking ass.....he went 0-11 in his first season,by the way...i still say, bama screwed up by not hiring him.....he hired known and proven coaches and now all he lacks is the talent aspect of the equation.....one little tidbit for you.....do you know, on a per capita basis, what state produces the most D-1 football players?.....yep, MISSISSIPPI......MSU is not going to have to worry about firing croom.....what they will have to worry about is keeping him once he puts this program on solid ground....he won't ever make them a national contender,but they will be much more competitive than we want them to be.....you mark this down.....sly croom is the best thing that happened to that miserable place

i think it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to start thinking about MSU's 'exit strategy' re/croom. he's not had a chance yet to do anything.

w/ the ole miss program struggling right now, i think the recruiting wars w/in the state of MS will be interesting for the next few years. right now, the USM program looks to be on the most solid footing. croom will get 5 years, if he wants it, to put the program back on the right track. also, remember, MSU hasn't got a strong tradition of winning a lot of games all the time. they may bubble up once every few years w/ a good 8-9 win team, but are the expectations such that they require 9 win seasons consistently?

ct

Archived