Carnell or Ronnie

JTTIGER

The Ware/Lumkin thread made me think.................If I had to make a choice, who would I choose? Believe it or not, I think that I would take Ronnie over Carnell. Power back with great speed and good hands! Not a bad combo.

So, who would the rest of you take? Carnell or Ronnie?

Well...I have always thought that Ronnie is a better pro back and Carnell is a better college back.

So..if I were a pro owner it is Ronnie and a college coach it is Carnell

For NFL owners, it's all a matter of what you want out of your running back, I think.

Carnell reminds me of Barry Sanders, except that, for now, Carnell seems to like to lower the shoulder on you and drive you into the ground. Not sure if that mentality will spill over into the NFL right off the bat or not but it's working now...

Ronnie seems more of the Terrell Davis...North/South, smooth runner that WILL run you over and can catch too.

Which would benefit the team more? I think that question makes more sense...

I think Ronnie does more of the things needed for an NFL back. First and foremost, he catches the ball and you have to do that at the NFL level, period. What did RB have in the UT game, 6 or 7 catches? When he leads the play through the hole, he has been destroying LB's and DB's on his blocking assignments.

Don't get me wrong, I'm comfortable with either when they've got the ball in their hands but I see RB doing more at the next level.

For a college back I'll take Williams. You don't need as much out of a college back as you do in the NFL. He's still strong enough to run over people in college (won't work in the NFL).

As an NFL owner? Ronnie Brown hands down. His ability to block, catch out of the backfield and running style is a perfect mesh with the NFL. I think this year is starting a swing. I'm thinking Ronnie will be the first back taken in the draft, not Carnell.

if i'm a college or pro coach i take caddy. the running ability isn't a draw. carnell's the best i've seen in college since maybe ladanian thomlinson. that's the closest runner i can think to him. he's got more power than clinton portis ever did. he's not as much of a speed guy as magahee. LT is his closest comparison (he didn't develop into a pass catcher until he hit the league). and you don't HAVE TO catch the ball in the pros. ask the ravens if they care whether jamal lewis has 5 catches a game. the bus never caught the ball. portis isn't much of a receiver. shaun alexander isn't either. carnell is a great pass blocker and he's a mule (anyone remember 42 carries AND a 70 yard reception in one game?). i'm not knocking ronnie, but i'll take caddilac every day of the week and twice on saturdays.

yeah, but he doesn't have great pass catching numbers. he's not a marshall faulk, priest holmes, lt, warrick dunn type of threat out of the backfield. he's a runner first, and a receiver a distant second.

just for further emphasis that too much is made of a pass catching tailback: the leading receiving running backs in the league as of now are (in this order):

dominick davis

lamar gordon

curtis martin

ladanian tomlinson

jerald sowell (jets as well) and ahman green are tied.

on this list only davis and gordon average over 4 catches per game at this point. and only martin and tomlinson and green are in the nfl's top ten in rushing. the next guy is davis at 16th. so like i said, you don't have to be a game breaking receiver out of the backfield, and carnell is good enough to average 2 or 3 catches a game. i'll take caddilac.

to see other pro bowlers look at jamal lewis with one catch all year. or the edge with just over 2 per game. or priest with just over 1 per game. corey dillion with just over 1 per game. alexander with 2 per game. the best guys carry the ball a LOT more than they catch it.

Actually Shaun Alexander is a big threat catching the ball. When he was drafted, Holmgren said he was one of the best back catching out of the backfield he'd ever seen.

This years numbers are skewed because he's been hurt. In 2002 he caught 59 balls for almost 500 yards and 2 TDs.

I hate this question - because its like having to chose between two of your children (of course, I don't have kids - so its hard to compare).

Ronnie Brown is a better back because of Carnell. When Carnell arrived on campus, his work ethic showed Ronnie what he needed to do to become more successful, and he did it.

Meanwhile, Brown's bruising running style has obviously rubbed off on Carnell a bit, as Carnell is running through and around people.

Carnell has had 2 significant injures (collarbone and leg) where as Ronnie has had nagging injuries that have hurt his running.

Based on that, I'll take CArnell, because in the right offense, you are going to win with either - but I want the one who will be on the field more. Not to say Ronnie isn't there when we need them . .(see! Geez, I hate these type of questions!!)

It is funny that you ask this question because I cheer for a team that actually has both of them in the same backfield at the same time. How lucky am I?

:lol::au:

I have thought from day one that CW was the best back, but now question that thinking. I believe RB has become the best back on the team on any given day. But, if I had to make a choice with all things equal, like both being and staying healthy, I would choice CW. The main reason would be because RB tends to put the ball on the ground more than Cadillac.

I wonder how well RB would have done had he signed with Ga/Bama/Tenn and been the feature back? He has all the tools! Possibly would have won "the trophy".

The owner of this site is VERY uncomfortable with this thread.

I think the potential for his one to bite us on the butt is too high.

That's a loaded question. Ronnie has a better 40 speed than Carnell and he is a power back. Carnell on the other hand, has adequate speed , is a runner with moves and a great deal of determination. The pros like a power back with speed and therefore, Ronnie is more attractive and probably more durable considering the injuries Carnell has had. Either back is attractive but when it comes to the pros, Ronnie wins hands down.

You could say that I WON'T choose between the two of them. Or you could even say that I CAN'T choose between the two of them. Fortunately, either answer is irrelevant because I DON'T HAVE TO choose between the two of them. We've got them both.

Could anyone have imagined we'd have both of these guys back this year? I think it says so much for our program and for Coach Tuberville that - year after year - guys like this keep choosing to come back to Auburn to finish what they've started.

We are truely fortunate.

Archived