Getting the big head

japantiger

I don't particularly like all that I am reading. Too much back-slapping still about last week and too much looking ahead to future weeks (GA, AL, everyone but LA-tech).

Looks like to me we are forgetting our raising. I suggest we be a little more forth-right, gracious and magnanimous in our wins; not so much chest thumping; and remember our dismall performance from last year. Much less crow to eat that way.

I am proud of the team's performance and the coaching staff for getting them prepared this year for big games. But, we need to focus on the task at hand. Let's not get carried away with ourselves.

Just one opinion.

All depends on who "we" is. I really don't think that the folks who matter--the coaching staff and the players--are succumbling to the enlarged cranium.

I detect a lasting lesson from last year, especially from the senior leadership (who seem to be doing a heck of a job).

I think all our chest pounding really has no impact on the game -- it might have us in for a disappointment if we lose, but it shouldn't have much have outcome on how the game goes.

If the team is still chest pounding, however, we could be in for a long season. I don't think that's the case, though.

I hope the O-line and Carnell shows up to show LaTech who is the best running back in the game..... :au:

I just don't think that is the case. These guys are really playing as a team. They remember what happened last year and I think all the older guys are reminding the younger ones of what happened. I just feel like this team is playing with everything they have that they really want to show the world what they are made of. WAR DAMN EAGLE BEAT LA TECH

Would everyone stop worrying so much, "when are the wheels gonna come off". Enjoy our success. That's why we pull for our Tigers. If we lose a game we lose a game but when we win...enjoy it. But yes respect our opponents.

This is where I think LAST year is a big to us THIS year.

They know what happens when they get the big head...and I haven't seen it yet.

I do think UT and LSU may not be as good as everyone thought they were...

Would everyone stop worrying so much, "when are the wheels gonna come off".  Enjoy our success.  That's why we pull for our Tigers.   If we lose a game we lose a game but when we win...enjoy it.  But yes respect our opponents.

109359[/snapback]

I agree. I don't get any indication from the players or coaches that they are back-slapping or overlooking anyone. It is harder to ignore the possibilities now because the sports media is constantly bringing it up, but you can't control that. They ask questions and you answer them. It's just that the questions now come from a place of respect rather than skepticism.

At some point, you have to be able to deal with the pressure of success because people will inevitably view you as the favorite and not the underdog. Otherwise, you will never get to the next level.

Just getting up on this side of the world. Thanks for the comments.

The player quotes were the source of my comments. Focus is the key. Shooting your mouth off to the press never blocked or tackled anyone. Maybe everything is different this day and age; and I just haven't adjusted to the age of self promotion and a constant stream of trash talking.

The best teams in AU history never spoke to the press about their accomplishments; how great they felt, etc.; they let the press speak for them. Guess I'm just an old geezer now.

This looks like a team out there; less raw talent than previous years; but hustling, gang tackling, hard hitting, open field tackling, running hard, catching the ball, running after the catch, etc. I agree that they have to deal with the pressure; I'd just like to see a little more down to earth response to it vs. running off at the mouth to the press.

Again, one old f***s opinion.

Would everyone stop worrying so much, "when are the wheels gonna come off".  Enjoy our success.  That's why we pull for our Tigers.  If we lose a game we lose a game but when we win...enjoy it.  But yes respect our opponents.

109359[/snapback]

Dang right! I am going to enjoy our success and wonder out loud what may happen this year, without worrying about whether my outlook may put a hex on us. C'mon guys and gals, it ain't us on the field of play!

Archived