Cool Read

oldautiger

Check this out, This guy and I are on the same page.

Although I do pull for the Texans (but I don't rave and rant when they lose) :D:D:D

http://www.freep.com/sports/rosenberg/rosey9e_20041009.htm

If it doesn't open, here is the article.

" BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

October 9, 2004

I like the NFL, but I would choose college football over pro football every day and (gasp!) twice on Sunday.

Most people think I'm nuts. The NFL is more popular, the players are bigger, faster and older, and the cheerleaders are virtually naked. Heck, college football can't even choose a single champion -- what kind of sport is that?

Well, I prefer college football ...

... because in college, players choose their teams, instead of the teams choosing players.

... because Cal never trades a player to Stanford.

... and because Stanford never threatens to move to L.A.

... because in college football articles, you don't see ridiculous sentences like, "At 4-5, New Orleans is in the thick of the playoff hunt."

... because colleges have 200-member marching bands, made up of students celebrating where they are. Pro teams have tiny, unlistenable "musical performers," made up of a few middle-aged guys celebrating the end of this morning's hangover.

... because a college dateline immediately gives you a sense of atmosphere. Tell me what says football more: "COLLEGE STATION, Texas --" or

"HOUSTON --"?

... because if the Bears beat the Packers, their season can still stink, but if Army beats Navy, nothing else matters.

... because nobody ever played an extra year in the NFL so he could make Mom proud by earning his degree.

... because NFL franchises don't have alumni.

... and they don't have walk-ons.

... because in the NFL, "You're not living with your teammates. It's more of a job than it is going out there having fun with your buddies." That's Lions offensive tackle Jeff Backus talking; he went to Michigan.

... because college football has four-touchdown underdogs, which means college football has genuine upsets.

... because Big Ten fans and Southeastern Conference fans argue for hours about which conference rules, but if you ever screamed that "The NFC South is CLEARLY better than the AFC North," your barstool would fold up and hide.

... because college teams still run plays you would have tried in your street games as a kid. They run five-receiver offenses and three-running back offenses. In pro football, the whole league gets in a lather when some "genius" comes up with a new way to zone-block.

... because college teams play end-of-the-season games for the Old Oaken Bucket, Golden Egg and a pig named Floyd of Rosedale, while NFL teams play end-of-the-season games for the storied "wild-card tiebreaker advantage if Jacksonville beats Denver and Seattle loses to Cincinnati."

... because college teams don't switch uniforms and nicknames as a marketing ploy. Well, some of them do. But it's rare.

... because in the NFL, an icon is a man like Bill Cowher, who has coached in Pittsburgh for 13 seasons, but in college, an icon is a man like Joe Paterno, who has been at Penn State for 54.

... because the NFL pays millions, and colleges just give out scholarships, but 20 years from now, each of the best players is way more likely to watch his alma mater than his old NFL team(s).

... because, OK, a lot of college teams give out more than just scholarships, but that just adds to the spectacle. If the Broncos beat the Cardinals, can Cardinals fans come back by calling the Broncos a bunch of cheaters? Nope! And what fun is that?

... because "in college -- this is me, I guess, probably not everybody -- but you wanted to go out there and kill the other team," said Lions fullback Cory Schlesinger, who went to Nebraska. "Now it's our job. You don't want to hurt anybody. You don't want to do what you did back in college."

... because in college football, you can feel like a king, an underdog, an elitist, a hick, a puritan or a renegade, all because of your affiliation with a school, but in the pros, you either have a good owner or a bad owner, and that's that.

... because Texas and Oklahoma hate each other so much, they meet halfway between the schools to play football. Do you think the Browns and Steelers would give up the club-seat revenue to do that?

... because the state of Alabama would descend into anarchy if Auburn and Alabama skipped the Iron Bowl, but the New York Giants and New York Jets meet only every few years, when the NFL's computers make them.

What's that you say? The pro game is still better?

Fine. Go watch the NFL. Ignore the college game. It's a free country. If you want to sell naming rights to your soul to a plastic, corporate entity, who am I to judge?"

"Most people think I'm nuts. The NFL is more popular, the players are bigger, faster and older, and the cheerleaders are virtually naked. Heck, college football can't even choose a single champion -- what kind of sport is that?"

Yeah the Cheerleaders in the NFL are almost neked but I doubt you will find a virgin in any NFL cheerleading squad. With the College cheerleaders you at least have hope one is there. :big:

Archived