Just saw "Friday Night Lights"

DKW 86

Great film. I was impressed by how the fans are pictured in the film. There is one lady, a Mom, that could be Phylllis from Mulga.

The fans are pictured as obsessed, delusional, and extremely immature. The "For Sale" sign bit was telling for me. How could someone do that to a man with kids?

We all want "Our Guys" to win, but at what cost? The film is not a Hollywood schlocky recipe movie, not by a long shot. You really learn to see the Coach as who he is, A combo Saint-Sinner, Loser-Winner, Idiot-Genius that gets too much lauding when he wins and too much trouble when he loses. He has to deal with idiot fans/boosters, etc.

Real good film. Go see it. Maybe you will be a lot less likely to criticze someone when you see how much crap they put up with in their lives.

I agree. Good film. Scale of 1-10, about a 7.

Saw it with my 7th grade (A team center) son. He got the message - All who give it 100%, don't let their teammates down, and do it with respect for their team and opponents are champions. Wins and losses are by-products of being champions, not the determining factors.

I kept thinking about Stan White during the movie. He was a great QB and a great leader. During the final game in the movie, when the team members are giving it all while taking great physical punishment, I thought of the game where Stan played so hard that he had to go to the hospital overnight just to get his fluids back up. I believe it was the tie with FSU at Jordan Hare. He was a champion with no championship required to prove it.

This movie gets that point across quite well.

Archived