Arik Armstead

ellitor

Can someone please explain the whole situation with his brother?  I have read where he can't play cause of the SEC's new rule, but some said it isn't in effect yet, but others said Russel W. was last to be able to take advantage of that.  What is the deal.  Now jvilletiger saying his brother would be a walk on?  Does it seem logical that he would come to school here if in fact his brother is a factor in all of this and his brother could get a scholarship somewhere else that he couldn't get at auburn?

So I understand all this right?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone please explain the whole situation with his brother?  I have read where he can't play cause of the SEC's new rule, but some said it isn't in effect yet, but others said Russel W. was last to be able to take advantage of that.  What is the deal.  Now jvilletiger saying his brother would be a walk on?  Does it seem logical that he would come to school here if in fact his brother is a factor in all of this and his brother could get a scholarship somewhere else that he couldn't get at auburn?

I don't think anybody really understands it right now. But if the coaches take him apparently he can come.

I think he has said that his decision will not necessarily hinge on what his brother does.

I don't think anybody really understands it right now. But if the coaches take him apparently he can come.

I trust the Auburn Compliance Department on this too.

It's huge to have him here right before he decides.

I just find it weird that he flies back on Saturday just to possibly commit to AU on Sunday or Monday and fly back on Monday or Tuesday to start classes. If Auburn becomes his choice he should just stay and start class on Monday.

Reminds me of the Tyler Bray official to UTK.  His parents were shopping for a house in Knoxville while he was with the coaches on campus.  Now that's called a commitment!!!

I mean I agree, it just all seems weird that we would be the only SEC team that he has left?  I'm only left to assume that he's a smart kid and sees that we're the only SEC team worth considering! :we:

Auburn does a hell of a job selling its self. Once they get on campus you can forget about it. Might as well call his folks and tell 'em, Auburn has him now.

It seems like his Father sure thinks highly of Auburn and Coach Chizik. By the way it says both his Dad and Brother will be with him this weekend thru Saturday then those two will go to ND for a day but Arik will stay thru Sunday. Dad seems very positive.

An article just up at Auburn Undercover says this,

" He will be joined by his father, Guss, and brother, Armond, who is planning to transfer from USC for his final season. His father and brother will stay though Saturday before going on a quick visit to Notre Dame.

Arik, who is eligible to enroll at a school next week, will remain in Auburn until Sunday. Auburn coaches have made at least five trips to California to visit Armstead and his family.

“That's very impressive and shows how much they want Arik,” Guss Armstead said. “Arik is going to visit Auburn because Arik wants to visit the schools that are showing they really want him. And Auburn is a very young team and should be very good again in the near future.

“We also like Gene Chizik a lot. He seems like a genuinely great guy and a players coach. Arik is looking forward to the visit. ”

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Tigers-hosting-two-5-stars-56740

Guest jojo1515

I mean I agree, it just all seems weird that we would be the only SEC team that he has left?  I'm only left to assume that he's a smart kid and sees that we're the only SEC team worth considering! :we:

Auburn IS the only team worth coming to!  Also, our coaches have neen to his house in California FIVE times.  Add to that Chizik and Van Gorser on the same staff...he would be crazy not to come!

Do we have any more early enroll slots left? He could just go ahead and sign up for classes while he's in AU...  :P

Pretty sure we do. The way I understand it, as long as the number of early enrollees doesn't make our total number of players on scholarship exceed 85, then we can enroll as many early as we want, we just can't count them backwards to the previous class like we did with Cam and the other guys who signed early that year.

That having been said, it would be a HUGE surprise for him to just spontaneously enroll in classes.

it would be a HUGE surprise for him to just spontaneously enroll in classes.

I don't think anyone knew about Mr. Miller enrolling ;) ;) ;)

Let get this straight...He is coming here this weekend, and his father and bro are leaving on Saturday to go to ND, as he stays behind.  With class already started and him wanting to be enrolled early, it sounds like he is being dropped off so he can get things set up to start class.  Because if that is not the case then why not leave with his family? Or am I reading and hoping too much into this?

True enough, but Miller was known to want to enroll early, at least, while I've not heard the same about Arik. We shall see, though; I'd LOVE for it to happen!

Let get this straight...He is coming here this weekend, and his father and bro are leaving on Saturday to go to ND, as he stays behind.  With class already started and him wanting to be enrolled early, it sounds like he is being dropped off so he can get things set up to start class.  Because if that is not the case then why not leave with his family? Or am I reading and hoping too much into this?

Not a bad point, and maybe his brother is looking to transfer? Or maybe Arik has already visited ND but his father hasn't, so his father is going to check up on that while Arik gets the full experience in Auburn?

Gosh, how incredible would it be for him to enroll before leaving as well?

True enough, but Miller was known to want to enroll early, at least, while I've not heard the same about Arik. We shall see, though; I'd LOVE for it to happen!

I thought it was known that Arik wanted to be an EE.

If this keeps up, our O-Line will be a brick wall in a year or two. The line will be good enough for even me to get 5 yards a carry.

Rivals has this guy as a strongside defensive end and 247 has him as an O-lineman. What are we recruiting him for? A 6'8" 280 DE is huuuuuuuuuge. I would put him at DT if he was going to play that side of the ball.

If this keeps up, our O-Line will be a brick wall in a year or two. The line will be good enough for even me to get 5 yards a carry.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure it has to keep up for that to happen. Of course you want it to (can never have too many big uglies), but we already have three guys from last year's class who were among the best in their class, not to mention such players as Thomas O'Reilly and Eric Mack who are still underclassmen, to go along with the two guys we just signed.

That said, I have no idea what Auburn coaches are recruiting Armstead to play, though I'd LOVE to see him on the defensive side.

Archived