Arik Armstead

ellitor

Rivals has this guy as a strongside defensive end and 247 has him as an O-lineman. What are we recruiting him for? A 6'8" 280 DE is huuuuuuuuuge. I would put him at DT if he was going to play that side of the ball.

6'8" is way too tall for a DT, no way he could get the leverage required on guards and centers. But he can use that height on the outside along with his wingspan to out maneuver OTs and keep his hands in the air if he can't get to the ball.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure he prefers DE, but most think his future is much brighter at LT. Not knocking his ability at DE just saying he is that good on the o-line.

If that is the case, then he'll likely be playing defense if he comes to Auburn. Word has it that Jeff Grimes is extremely high on Greg Robinson at LT, and Robinson will be a freshman in this upcoming season...

Pretty sure he prefers DE, but most think his future is much brighter at LT. Not knocking his ability at DE just saying he is that good on the o-line.

Well, Auburn needs some more big DEs too.

If this keeps up, our O-Line will be a brick wall in a year or two. The line will be good enough for even me to get 5 yards a carry.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure it has to keep up for that to happen. Of course you want it to (can never have too many big uglies), but we already have three guys from last year's class who were among the best in their class, not to mention such players as Thomas O'Reilly and Eric Mack who are still underclassmen, to go along with the two guys we just signed.

That said, I have no idea what Auburn coaches are recruiting Armstead to play, though I'd LOVE to see him on the defensive side.

I think it has been said here that he wants to play D. It might have something to do with Eddie Goldman. I could see Armstead going to O if EG signs. Maybe the two are not related at all, though.

Imagine the D line with Goldman, Gabe Wright, Leonard Williams and Armstead. Of course, this is after some current guys go pro.

Armstead is also very good at basketball. He probably play for AU

it would be a HUGE surprise for him to just spontaneously enroll in classes.

I don't think anyone knew about Mr. Miller enrolling ;) ;) ;)

True enough, but Miller was known to want to enroll early, at least, while I've not heard the same about Arik. We shall see, though; I'd LOVE for it to happen!

I believe it's been said the Arik wants to be an EE

If this keeps up, our O-Line will be a brick wall in a year or two. The line will be good enough for even me to get 5 yards a carry.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure it has to keep up for that to happen. Of course you want it to (can never have too many big uglies), but we already have three guys from last year's class who were among the best in their class, not to mention such players as Thomas O'Reilly and Eric Mack who are still underclassmen, to go along with the two guys we just signed.

That said, I have no idea what Auburn coaches are recruiting Armstead to play, though I'd LOVE to see him on the defensive side.

I think it has been said here that he wants to play D. It might have something to do with Eddie Goldman. I could see Armstead going to O if EG signs. Maybe the two are not related at all, though.

Imagine the D line with Goldman, Gabe Wright, Leonard Williams and Armstead. Of course, this is after some current guys go pro.

As for the basketball, it gets you into probably the best shape, but he will lose 20-30 pounds each basketball year. I don't think the coaches would want that IMO.

I wouldn't think the two would be related. Goldman plays inside, Armstead plays end.

If he stays at DE it would help to shed a few pounds and all the agility workouts from basketball would also help.

Oh no doubt. I always thought that any sport could benefit someone in another sport. Basketball helps agility for football, football helps strength in the paint for basketball.

He should ask zeimba how he was able to shrink 2" during his time if he is too tall.

Zeimba never wanted to play DE though. I would say Ziemba was also a legit 6-8. I'm 6-4 and he towered over me, there is no way he is only 2 inches tall than me. I was his Camp War Eagle Counselor so I spent 3 days with him, and I felt like an ant the whole time. Not many people make me feel like an ant.

That would be an understatement. He is dead set on playing defense.

I say let this big guy play wherever he wants at first.

A 6-8 DE is pretty freakish, no? I can't think of any players, even in the pros at that size.

A 6-8 DE is pretty freakish, no? I can't think of any players, even in the pros at that size.

Ed "Too Tall" Jones

Ted " The Mad Stork " Hendricks, #83, All American U of Miami, All Pro Oakland Raiders.

Ed " Too Tall " Jones, #72, All American Tenn State, All Pro Dallas Cowboys. 

Ted " The Mad Stork " Hendricks, #83, All American U of Miami, All Pro Oakland Raiders.

Mad Stork had a REEEL LONGGG Sat @ J-H one Sat, as AU blew out favored Hurricanes-

Mad Stork had a REEEL LONGGG Sat @ J-H one Sat, as AU blew out favored Hurricanes-

how many yards rushing did Miami have that day negative. I believe it was David Campbell DT who blew them up

Armstead brings such a big body..what do u do with a 6.8 DE who can jump and smash Ur head..guy has crazy potential..I hope he can make it down..and enroll ..he doesn't need to visit anywhere else..AU is where he needs to be

Archived