Updated 12/15- Recruiting update and Numbers breakdown

Guest jthaub

Auburn currently has 16 commitments for the 2012 class.

This is updated with summary of comments from every current commitment after the news of DC Ted Roof, and OC Gus Malzahn leaving.

*** The height and weight listed is what is closest to accurate at this moment

1. QB Zeke Pike - 6'4 224 RIVALS **** #5 PRO QB 247 *** #9 PRO QB ESPN *** #25 QB SCOUT **** #5 QB - Pike, who is trying to enroll early, but isn't sure if all of these 3 on-line classes will transfer to Auburn. Pike said he is still solid to Auburn, 100%

2. RB TJ Yeldon - 6'1 207 RIVALS ***** #3 RB 247 **** #1 APB ESPN **** #7 RB SCOUT #12 RB - Yeldon is still SOLID to Auburn, despite rumors from the other side. TJ has said numerous times that he loves Auburn and will be enrolling in January. Nothing has changed here.

3. RB Jovon Robinson - 5'11 219 RIVALS **** #9 RB 247 **** #17 RB ESPN **** #20 RB SCOUT #23 RB - Robinson, an Army All-American, is firmly committed to Auburn.

4. WR Jaquay Williams - 6'3 199 RIVALS **** #17 WR 247 **** #21 WR ESPN **** #23 WR SCOUT **** #19 WR - Despite Williams' initial frustration shortly after the news of Gus leaving, he remains completely committed to the Tigers.

5. WR Ricardo Louis - 6'1 201 RIVALS **** #28 WR 247 **** #39 WR ESPN **** #3 ATH SCOUT **** #29 ATH - Louis was taken back by the news of Gus leaving, but trusts that Auburn will hire the right man to replace him.  He is still strong in his commitment to Auburn.

6. TE Ricky Parks - 6'3 232 RIVALS **** #3 TE 247 **** #1 TE ESPN **** #12 ATH SCOUT **** #3 TE - Despite the initial comments that Parks may look elsewhere, he is 100% committed to the Tigers.

7. TE Darrion Hutcherson - 6'7 246 RIVALS *** #20 TE 247 *** NR TE ESPN *** #30 TE SCOUT **** #13 TE - Hutcherson never thought of de-commiting from Auburn.

8. OL Will Latu - JUCO - 6'5 322 RIVALS **** 247 **** ESPN NR SCOUT *** - Has a wonderful relationship with Coach Grimes and is solid to Auburn as long as Grimes is here.

9. OL Shane Callahan - 6'6 292 RIVALS **** #25 OT 247 *** NR OT ESPN **** #33 OT SCOUT **** #23 OT - Callahan emphatically stated that he is still committed to Auburn. Never a doubt.

10. DT Tyler Nero - 6'2 287 RIVALS *** #27 DT 247 **** #13 DT ESPN *** #31 DT SCOUT **** #15 DT - Nero, who performed well at the AL/MS All-Star Game, is not wavering in his commitment.

11. DE/DT Gimel President - 6'2 257 RIVALS *** NR DE 247 *** NR SDE ESPN *** #41 DE SCOUT *** #39 DE - President tore it up at the Shrine Bowl. He looks like he will play DT after adding some weight and a RS.

12. MLB Cassanova McKinzy - 6'3 231 RIVALS **** #19 OLB 247 **** #16 OLB ESPN **** #30 OLB SCOUT **** #8 MLB - McKinzy is still committed to the Tigers, but is anxiously waiting to see who Auburn brings in as DC.

13. OLB Javiere Mitchell - 6'2 209 RIVALS **** #25 OLB 247 *** NR OLB ESPN *** #80 OLB SCOUT *** #42 OLB - Mitchell, an early enrollee, can't wait to get to The Plains.

14. DB Joshua Holsey - 5'10 174 RIVALS **** #16 CB 247 **** NR CB ESPN **** #5 CB SCOUT **** #8 CB - Holsey was shocked by the news of Roof leaving, but has faith in Coach Chizik to bring in the best possible replacement.

15. DB TJ Davis - 6'0 173 RIVALS *** #31 CB 247 *** NR CB ESPN **** #11 CB SCOUT *** #38 CB - Davis has never wavered in his commitment to Auburn.

16. DB Jonathan Jones - 5'10 169 RIVALS *** #42 CB 247 *** NR CB ESPN *** #22 CB SCOUT *** #37 CB - Jones is still, and will remain firm in his pledge to be on The Plains.

Auburn technically has 9 open slots for this class, closing at 25. There is always the possibility of NSD decisions leaving Auburn with only 23/24, but unlikely with this staff.

Here is the breakdown of Numbers at each position, and which prospects AU is looking to fill those spots

Current Commits in ORANGE

Prospects to fell good about in GREEN

Prospects to not get too high on in RED

Prospects who are awaiting further interest from AU/are tough to read in Yellow

Offense

*** Nearly three weeks ago, Barrett Trotter informed the coaches that he will not be returning next year. Side note: Barrett was very displeased with the way the coaches handled his losing of the starting job, as well as the response he received from the coaches after his decision was made known to them. But moving on, The coaches made a decision pursue a second QB in this class. Pike was informed of this decision, and has not at all waivered in his commitment. The coaches made the decision on a second QB, not because they think Frazier nor Pike has what it takes, but because having only 3 QB's on the roster (1 True Freshman, 1 Sophomore, and 1 who has shown that he isn't the answer) is a slim number to have. More than likely the second QB would be redshirted, unless injuries bring a need to remove the redshirt, or unless they are a top talent.

QB - (2)

Zeke Pike

Jameis Winston - 6'4 200 RIVALS ***** #1 DQB 247 ***** #1 DQB ESPN **** #1 QB SCOUT ***** #2 QB

Winston, a current Florida State commit, is still looking at Auburn, Alabama, and recently Ohio State. Auburn is looking to receive a visit from Winston in January, and hopes to make a move. Florida State is still the team to beat here

Jeremy Liggins - 6'3 270 RIVALS *** #15 DQB 247 **** #12 ATH ESPN **** #17 ATH SCOUT *** #32 QB

Liggins hasn't been very high on Auburn's board until recently. He has some weight he has to get rid of before he will get shot at QB. But he could also project at DT, DE, or TE. Auburn wants him first as a QB, see how things work out, and then if necessary, move him to DT or a DE. I've heard that Auburn is making a big move here, and could find themselves in a very good position as time goes on. He claims a top 5 of Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss St, and accepted an invite to play in the Under Armor All-American Game.

Jonathan Wallace - 6'1 205 RIVALS *** #19 DQB 247 *** #16 DQB ESPN *** #64 QB SCOUT *** #66 QB

Wallace is currently committed to Southern Miss, but has received visits from our coaches over the past 6 months. Auburn could make a move here if they choose to do so, but the coaches seem to be looking at Winston and Liggins first.

RB - (2)

TJ Yeldon

Jovon Robinson

WR - (3)

Auburn coaches have made the decision that if they were to miss on all of Diggs, Patterson, and Croom, they will not pursue another WR in this class. However, I believe Auburn will land 1 of these guys.

Jaquay Williams

Ricardo Louis

Stefon Diggs - 6'0 186 RIVALS ***** #2 WR 247 ***** #4 ATH ESPN **** #2 ATH SCOUT ***** #2 WR

Diggs released a top 8 of Auburn, Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma, Maryland, Virginia, USC, and Cal. Florida, Auburn and Michigan seemed to be the top 3 here, but a lot has changed. Florida losing OC Charlie Weiss has hurt their cause, Virginia has made a huge move into his top group and is becoming a real player here. Meanwhile, Auburn has moved into a safe place with Diggs and his family as Florida slipped a little. A visit to Auburn, which was planned to take place next week, would vault the Tigers right to the top or near the top of Diggs' list. Unfortunately, Diggs will not visit Auburn, but Oklahoma instead. Auburn will receive a visit more than likely in January.

Cordarrelle Patterson JUCO -  6'3 203 RIVALS **** NR WR 247 **** NR WR ESPN NR SCOUT **** NR JC

Patterson has been high on The Vols for a while now, but Tennessee just picked up their 5th commitment at WR. This has leveled the field with Auburn, Arkansas, georgia, and Baylor coming into the picture.

Jason Croom 6'5 212 RIVALS **** #48 WR 247 **** #15 WR ESPN *** #47 WR SCOUT **** #42 WR

Croom, a Tennessee commit, is looking at Auburn. However, I have learned that Auburn wants 1 of Diggs or Patterson. If they miss on both, they will look at another position.

TE - (2)

Ricky Parks

Darrion Hutcherson

OL - (5)  1 OT and 2 OG

OT - (3)

Will Latu

Shane Callahan

OT Joshau Garnett - 6'5 287 RIVALS **** #5 OT 247 **** #6 OT ESPN **** #8 OT SCOUT ***** #2 OG

Garnett has stated that he will leave the West Coast for college. He has said in the past that his for sure 3 Official Visits would include Miami, Michigan, and Auburn. He has set-up his Michigan visit, will visit Miami after the UA All-American Game, and the Tigers in Mid January. He has a great relationship with Coach Grimes, and Grimes seems to have a way with pulling one of those big-time random OL recruits (Westerman). He and his father love the thought of SEC football, but Michigan and Stanford are at the top for now, due mainly to academic.

OT Avery Young - 6'5 271 RIVALS **** #10 OT 247 **** #25 OT ESPN **** #17 OT SCOUT **** #4 OT

Young has narrowed his list down to Auburn and Georgia. that could change after visits to other schools in January, but it looks like this will be a Tiger-Bulldog battle.

Jordan Diamond 6'6 292 RIVALS **** #35 OT 247 **** #8 OT ESPN **** #14 OT SCOUT ***** #9 OT

Diamond, will visit this weekend. Auburn could make a move here, but Ohio State will be tough to beat.

**** Kyle Long and Menelik Watson are a couple JUCO who may be added at a later date. Kyle Dodson and Robert Leff are other options as well.

**Arik Armstead is being looked at as a DE first, then OT. He can succeed at either position. More on him under DE.

OG - 2

OG Evan Boehm 6'4 292 RIVALS **** #5 OG 247 **** #8 OG ESPN **** #1 OG SCOUT **** #1 C

Boehm just de-committed from Missouri. Boehm has visisted Auburn and Missouri recently, and may take other visits as well. This seems to be a Tiger vs. Tiger matchup. He was high on Auburn after a visit, but then nearly committed to Missouri after a visit there. In the end, I'd give the edge to Auburn, but it is VERY close.

OG Alex Kozan 6'4 294 RIVALS **** #30 OT 247 *** #52 OT ESPN *** #19 OG SCOUT *** #18 OG

Kozan, who just recently received an Auburn offer, will visitthis week. Auburn hopes for a commitment after the visit.

Brandon Fanaika 6'3 293 RIVALS **** #6 OG 247 **** #11 OG ESPN *** #37 OG SCOUT *** #19 OG

Fanaika has a top 3 of Stanford, UCLA, and Auburn are his top 3. He has set up visits for all three schools in January. Stanford is the BIG leader here. As long as he is admitted to Stanford, he will go with the Cardinal.

*** NOTE: Graham Shuler has been accepted to Stanford and has all but shut down his recruiting. ***

** OG Kyron Samuels is a back-up plan for OG.

Defense

DT - (2)

Tyler Nero

Gimel President

Leonard Williams - 6'5 265 RIVALS **** #5 SDE 247 **** #14 SDE ESPN **** #8 DT SCOUT **** #26 DE

Auburn is still holding out hope for Williams. Florida is making a push here, and could move into a position to gain a commitment from Williams. However, at the moment, Auburn has the edge.

Eddie Goldman - 6'4 307 RIVALS ***** #1 DT 247 ***** #1 DT ESPN ***** #1 DT SCOUT ***** #5 DT

Goldman claims a top 3 of Auburn, Alabama, and Florida State. He also claims that no one leads. Many believe Florida State will be tough to beat here, and Alabama feels like they are in good shape. But Auburn made a good move this weekend, and has possibly moved into his top 2 with The 'Noles....

**** Also don't forget QB Jeremy Liggins could move here if QB didn't work out at Auburn.

DE - (2)

Channing Ward - 6'3 237 RIVALS **** #6 SDE 247 **** #6 WDE ESPN **** #9 DE SCOUT ***** #7 DE

Ward has a final group of Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss St. Alabama is filling up, as well as LSU. Miss St. has been a non-factor, and Ole Miss is searching for a coach. So, Auburn has put themselves at the top of Ward's list. He will probably announce at the Under Armor Game.

DE Arik Armstead 6'8 280 RIVALS **** #4 SDE 247 ***** #1 OT ESPN **** #2 OT SCOUT ***** #1 OT

Alabama, Notre Dame, and California were thought to be the top 3 here. But recently Auburn has made a move and will receive another visit in Mid-January. Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Washington are also in it. He can play DE or OT. Will decide probably NSD

Francis Kallon - 6'5 262 RIVALS *** NR DE 247 *** NR DE ESPN **** #19 DE SCOUT **** #14 DE

Kallon is committed to Georgia Tech, and it appears he will stay that way. Auburn has lost some ground here, and has picked up the recruitment of Eddie Goldman, and a possible DL in Jeremy Liggins

LB - (3)

Cassanova Mckinzy

Javiere Mitchell

Kwon Alexander - 6'2 211 RIVALS **** #15 OLB 247 **** #2 OLB ESPN **** #3 OLB SCOUT ***** #1 OLB

Alexander was thought to be all Alabama early in the process, but after many visits to The Plains, Auburn has found themselves near the top. Alexander suffered a knee injury, but is recovering quickly. Alabama seems to have turned their attention from the LB position (exluding their "Jack" position which is more of a converted DE) All of that adds up to a very good possibility of Alexander ending up in Orange and Blue! Alexander will be a Signing Day decision.

CB - (4-5)

Joshua Holsey

TJ Davis

Jonathan Jones

Deon Bush - 6'1 181 RIVALS **** #4 S 247 **** #11 S ESPN **** #4 S SCOUT **** #13 S

Auburn is recruiting Bush has a CB, however has been evaluated a a Safety. Auburn actually isn't recruiting a single prospect at Safety, but are planning to sift some guys to Safety as needed (ala Neiko Thorpe). Bush could be one of those guys along with TJ Davis, and Jonathan Rose. Bush visited for the Florida game and LOVED it! His parents also felt this way, and many believe Auburn has solidified themselves as Bush's leader. Alabama is still a factor here, but Auburn has the lead for now and will fight to keep that lead. Bush will announce at the Army All-American Game

Ronald Darby - 5'11 177 RIVALS **** #7 CB 247 **** #6 CB ESPN **** #11 ATH SCOUT ***** #1 CB

Darby is currently committed to Notre Dame, but is taking visits to be sure. So far, he feels good about his commitment to the Irish. Some close to Darby think Auburn is still very much in this.

Cyrus Jones - 5'10 187 RIVALS **** #6 ATH 247 **** #9 ATH ESPN **** #5 ATH SCOUT **** #15 WR

Jones has named Alabama his leader. He visited for the Iron Bowl, and now claims no leader. Alabama finds themselves at the top with Virginia Tech. Ohio State has recently joined the mix. It appears Jones is headed elsewhere.

K - (0-1)

Auburn wants a K/P this year or next year and may have room this year.

Devon Bell -  6'2 182 RIVALS ** 247 ** ESPN *** #15 K SCOUT ***

Committed to Mississippi State

Tyler Williams - 6'0 194 NR

Also possibilities: Cole Leininger and Seamus McMorrow.

SO to wrap this up I think this is how the numbers will breakdown:

2 QB - Pike and 1 more

2 RB - Yeldon, Robinson

2+0-1=3 WR - Williams, Louis, Hopefully 1 more

2 TE - Parks, Hutcherson

2+3=5 OL - Latu, Callahan, 3 more

1+1=2 DT - Nero and 1 more

1+0-1=1-2 DE - President and Hopefully 1 more

2+1=3 LB - McKinzy, Mitchell, 1 more

3+1=4 DB - Jones, Davis, Hosley, and 1 more

If Auburn can only sign 24, due to Shon Coleman (at the moment 25 is the number), look for Auburn to maybe pass on a second DE, 3rd OL, or the 2nd QB. But as of now, don't expect that to happen.

If Auburn were to miss on these projected numbers at one position, look for the kicker to come into play.

I will update this as new players come up on our board, and as these recruits commit somewhere.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice report. My only qualms are that I see earlier playing time for some of our current commitments than listed above.

I see where youre coming from. I have 6 that I think will redshirt: Pike, Robinson, Hutcherson, Nero, President, Jones. The rest i see contributing on ST at the very least.

Great update, my good man!!  Question:  We have 15 commits (10 left), and then in your last paragraph under CJ, you state that we have 24 to that point.  How did you get from 15 to 24; doesn't seem to be enough green.

Great update, my good man!!  Question:  We have 15 commits (10 left), and then in your last paragraph under CJ, you state that we have 24 to that point.  How did you get from 15 to 24; doesn't seem to be enough green.

there are a good bit of guys in yellow who I think we will land, but still have work to do

(1WR,3OL,1DL,1DE,2LB,1CB) = 9      15--->24

Two questions:

1) Why do you think their will be a log jam at OT? We have Chad Slade (man of many positions) and untested Greg Robinson returning at OT next year, no one else. At OG we have Sullen, Westerman (at least that's my understanding?), Mack & O'Reilly. Do I have my numbers and/or positions off?

2) Why on EARTH would we not bring Noor in on an official visit? That doesn't sound right at all. He is listed as having an offer from us, and as for the other two guys, they haven't actually committed yet, so...  

Two questions:

1) Why do you think their will be a log jam at OT? We have Chad Slade (man of many positions) and untested Greg Robinson returning at OT next year, no one else. At OG we have Sullen, Westerman (at least that's my understanding?), Mack & O'Reilly. Do I have my numbers and/or positions off?

2) Why on EARTH would we not bring Noor in on an official visit? That doesn't sound right at all. He is listed as having an offer from us, and as for the other two guys, they haven't actually committed yet, so...  

1. Your numbers are correct. The guys listed as OT play that position in high school. Latu can play guard, Westbrook, Garnett can also play guard. We recruit versatile OL. Remember Westerman last year... Listed as OT and a dang good one, buy will play guard for us.

2. I'm just sharing what I have heard from people I know close to the program. Davis is clearly a special player. But if we land Alexander and Mitchell, we will be done at LB.

(Coaches must feel good about their position with those 2. Plus there is a limit on OV a school can give out.)

I thought we were recruiting President as a DT  :dunno:

We were/ still are. Look at Devaunte Sigler this year. He now has moved to DE bc of injuries. As stout as our depth chart could be at DT, and possibly needing a SDE, President can play inside or out. I listed him as DE, bc I think there is a better possibility he plays there after we bring in Nero and hopefully Williams.

DT: Whitaker, Carter, Blackson, Wright, Sigler, Travis, Niles, *Nero

SDE: Eguae, Sanders, Owens (can play both)

WDE: Lemonier, Ford, Delaine, Harrel, Owens (can play both)

President could learn and fill into a much needed role behind Eguae and Sanders

there are a good bit of guys in yellow who I think we will land, but still have work to do

(1WR,3OL,1DL,1DE,2LB,1CB) = 9      15--->24

I think we are on the same page;  1WR(Diggs), 3OL (Garnett, 2 others), 1DL (Shanks or Williams), 1DE(Ward or Kallon), 2LB (kwon and Javie), 1 CB (Bush).  25th, Cyrus Jones, I hope!!

Great write up JTHaub, my only question is this: how hard have we continued to recruit Vadal Alexander and Patrick Miller since their LSU commitment? Do we feel like there is a chance to flip them and bring both to AU?

We have continued to recruit them, as we have with many committed prospects, but I think the chances of flipping either is very slim. Alexander already is a tough loss, and could get tougher as we continue to search for a solid OG in this class

It seems our staff has a similar method to recruiting to the OL and DB. On the OL recruit 1 guard and the rest OT's. Those that can't play OT get moved inside and recruit a C every other year. With db's recruit 1 S and the rest cb's and those that don't have cb skills get moved to safety.

If we don't land jones, any chance we would take Davis then?

Well there is still a VERY long way to go with Noor Davis. All we know is that he is at least interested in visiting... Even if he did visit, he is still committed to Stanford. I'd say that we would push harder for Davis, but I wouldn't say we have the ability to just sub in Davis for Bush.

Nice update, and thanks for posting. As jthaub said, all of the O-linemen we've been bringing in are versatile, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Westerman end up at tackle before all is said and done, but rest assured that we WILL be bringing in a great deal of talent to replenish the ranks this year. The linebacker bit also fits with my understanding of how things are going, and I strongly suspect we will take those three and be done.

Again, great job jthaub! :thumbsup:

I have one question! Does Cyrus Jones have multiple personalities that stretch onto the field?

Cyrus Jones 5'10 187 RIVALS **** #10 ATH 247 **** #9 ATH ESPN **** #5 ATH SCOUT **** #15 WR

Jones has named Auburn in his top group along with Alabama, Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech. He will visit for the Iron Bowl. Alabama has continued to stay in it for Bush, and Maryland is the home team. Going by my breakdown from all the numbers above... Auburn will have 24 guys up to this point, leaving room for 1 more. This is where Bush comes in. He has been high on Auburn from the beginning, but we haven't heard much from him recently. We will find out more after his visit come November.   :dunno:

to the OP: don't wanna take space quoting all of that. Thanx for pointing that out, after research and writing for a few hours, guess I got side-tracked. Fixed now

to the OP: don't wanna take space quoting all of that. Thanx for pointing that out, after research and writing for a few hours, guess I got side-tracked. Fixed now

LOL... I know.. Just giving you a little hell! Nice Wite up!

Also, with TJ Yeldon and Shane Callahan planning to enroll early, Auburn could count one of those guys to last year's class of 24; this means that Auburn could sign up to 26 guys this year!

Actually... i"m not sure on that. A little help.. Mike Blakely... He would take that spot wouldnt he?

LOL... I know.. Just giving you a little hell! Nice Wite up!

No prob. I appreciate it!

Archived