Updated 12/15- Recruiting update and Numbers breakdown

Guest jthaub

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be mistaken, but wasn't Patrick Miller very high on AU before committing? Is AU still recruiting him or has that ship sailed or both parties?

You are correct. Miller was high on Auburn before committing to LSU. Auburn continues to keep in touch with Miller, but they do that with many prospects committed elsewhere. I wouldn't look for anything at all to happen here. Miller is solid to LSU

A prime example of how the NCAA dragging their feet hurt AU recruiting.  >:(  He was ours, but the constant drumbeat of AU is going to get hammered from other recruiters won out.

A prime example of how the NCAA dragging their feet hurt AU recruiting.  >:(  He was ours, but the constant drumbeat of AU is going to get hammered from other recruiters won out.

I think the true AU men are already committed.  The recruits that DIDN'T trust the coaches when they said don't worry, and committed elsewhere due to fear, never were AU guys in the first place.  Your either All In with AU and love everything about it, or your not.  

But yet he commits to a program on probation and still under an investigation? Curious...

Walker, the negative recruiting they were doing, and LSU was one of the major parties, was so intense (death penalty, FBI/IRS, etc,.) that what LSU faces was considered minor to what we were potentially facing.  Now, with that said, keep in mind that when one door closes ( Miller and V Alexander), another one opens ( see West Coast prospects).  There are plenty of great prospects at our positions of need to easily fill the remaining 10-12 slots (no, that's not an oversight).

But yet he commits to a program on probation and still under an investigation? Curious...

Walker, the negative recruiting they were doing, and LSU was one of the major parties, was so intense (death penalty, FBI/IRS, etc,.) that what LSU faces was considered minor to what we were potentially facing.  Now, with that said, keep in mind that when one door closes ( Miller and V Alexander), another one opens ( see West Coast prospects).  There are plenty of great prospects at our positions of need to easily fill the remaining 10-12 slots (no, that's not an oversight).

Makes sense... thanks...

I think the true AU men are already committed.  The recruits that DIDN'T trust the coaches when they said don't worry, and committed elsewhere due to fear, never were AU guys in the first place.  Your either All In with AU and love everything about it, or your not.  

I have said it before, not every recruit is ALL IN or falls in love with AU immediately. That's why it's called recruiting folks. You have to show these kids why Auburn is so amazing. You can't expect them to love it immediately like you do. It's illogical to think otherwise. To be honest, if I was a recruit that was not a die hard AU fan I would have been skeptical of the whole situation especially because of what just happened to USC and Reggie Bush. Plus, excuse my language, but Cecil Newton's asinine answer when he was asked if he took Money for Cam's services probably added a lot of fuel to the fire of recruit's doubts and gave more confidence to the schools that smeared us. Cecil said "Not according to the NCAA.", when his reply should have been a simple and emphatic NO!!!...If I was a recruit that would have raised a major red fkag to me...But now that the NCAA has cleared Auburn we can move on and recruits can rest theirt fears about Auburn getting in trouble with the NCAA.

I have said it before, not every recruit is ALL IN or falls in love with AU immediately. That's why it's called recruiting folks. You have to show these kids why Auburn is so amazing. You can't expect them to love it immediately like you do. It's illogical to think otherwise. To be honest, if I was a recruit that was not a die hard AU fan I would have been skeptical of the whole situation especially because of what just happened to USC and Reggie Bush. Plus, excuse my language, but Cecil Newton's asinine answer when he was asked if he took Money for Cam's services probably added a lot of fuel to the fire of recruit's doubts and gave more confidence to the schools that smeared us. Cecil said "Not according to the NCAA.", when his reply should have been a simple and emphatic NO!!!...If I was a recruit that would have raised a major red fkag to me...But now that the NCAA has cleared Auburn we can move on and recruits can rest theirt fears about Auburn getting in trouble with the NCAA.

I agree.  This site will have made the internet a better place if we can put an end to the "We don't want them if they aren't all AU" comments.  Just silly.

If Corey Grant goes on scholly for 2012, does he count towards the 25 class limit for 2012? or is he just a transfer like Blakely and just counts towards the max 85 limit? TIA

Transfers that come in as walk ons then later get schollys only count on the 85 limit ...and your welcome.

Actually, ellitor, I disagree with your assessment of Cecil Newton's response to the question of whether he took money or not. If he emphatically says, "No" I guarantee you that leads to another question, then another, then another and in the end he looks like he's dancing around the truth. His reference to NCAA findings, who incidentally, investigated the matter for over a year put an abrupt end to the questions right there! In fact, I'll go on record and say... I thought his handling of that question was nothing short of brilliant and it was probably given to him by someone a whole lot smarter than Cecil..aka known as legal counsel.

Actually, ellitor, I disagree with your assessment of Cecil Newton's response to the question of whether he took money or not. If he emphatically says, "No" I guarantee you that leads to another question, then another, then another and in the end he looks like he's dancing around the truth. His reference to NCAA findings, who incidentally, investigated the matter for over a year put an abrupt end to the questions right there! In fact, I'll go on record and say... I thought his handling of that question was nothing short of brilliant and it was probably given to him by someone a whole lot smarter than Cecil..aka known as legal counsel.

Well I am glad you see it that way Blue but I and probably a lot of other people think it looked like he had something to hide. Especially because he laughed a little deviously when he gave his answer like he knew he got away with something. I am a master manipulator and unfoertunately used to lie quite a bit so i know how to manipulate words to my advantage. When i used to lie I would have answered the way Cecil did if i got away with something I was not supposed to do. Whether they were asked or not, answering the way Cecil did creates more questions and doubt than simply and calmly saying no.

Well, I'll confess, Im not much into the psychology of lying and have no response to how a liar handles damage control once he's trying to hide something but his answer ENDED any possibility of additional questions which, at that moment, was more important than what his answer may appear to some people. Some have tried to argue that answer hurt Auburn in recruiting. My response to that is...how bad did it hurt? Auburn is rankd by every service as top 10 or better and thats about as good as they've ever been ranked at this juncture in the recruiting year. So, at the end of the day, whether his answer was liked or not or whether it made him appear to have something to hide, that's really a secondary consideration at that moment. The critical accomplishment was ending that line of questioning and that succinct response put a much needed and rather expeditious end to it.

Well, I'll confess, Im not much into the psychology of lying and have no response to how a liar handles damage control once he's trying to hide something but his answer ENDED any possibility of additional questions which, at that moment, was more important than what his answer may appear to some people. Some have tried to argue that answer hurt Auburn in recruiting. My response to that is...how bad did it hurt? Auburn is rankd by every service as top 10 or better and thats about as good as they've ever been ranked at this juncture in the recruiting year. So, at the end of the day, whether his answer was liked or not or whether it made him appear to have something to hide, that's really a secondary consideration at that moment. The critical accomplishment was ending that line of questioning and that succinct response put a much needed and rather expeditious end to it.

Um, Hello! Is anybody in there? Come on. Think McFly. Think...It did raise further questions. Namely why did he just not just squash it by saying no instead of appearing that he had something to hide? His response opened up questions to be asked. They were just not asked for whatever reason. I am not going to say that it hurt recruiting but if his response made the NCAA take a few more months to clear Auburn (which we will never know.) Then it is possible it hurt us some. For example, Patrick Miller was an Auburn lean then BOOM! He commits to LSU...His response did not put an end to it. The interviewer just chose to, for whatever a, not to probe further and ask obvious questions. But it's over now and I am glad the NCAA cleared Auburn even if his response may have caused them longer to dot their i's and cross their t's.

No problem, agreeing to disagree on what is essentially a moot point anyway seems the only way out here. I did get a laugh out of your thought that it wasn't Cecil's answer that ended that questioning about whether or not he took money..it was just the interveiwer decided not to ask anymore about it...LOL...good one!

I get what you are saying about the kid being scared away from AU due to negative recruiting, but he ended up committing to a program currently on probation and involved in the investigation into the Willie Lyles stuff...makes no sense.  Why would he pass on a school that (according to coaches who are currently being punished for cheating) might be in trouble for something, and choose a school who is, at present, introuble and may be in store for MORE trouble?  And why, when AU was cleared, did he not call Les Miles out for lying to him and immediately call Chizik and commit to AU.  Could be he just liked LSU more. 

your last sentence nailed it i my mind. Every kid is not destined to be an Auburn Tiger. When we miss on a few its not necessarily due to any other reason than the kid liked another situation better. Thats not difficult for me to grasp at all.

Guys stop overanalysing please. I did not say that PM committed to LSU because of the investigation. It is just a coincedence that he was a strong AU lean then picked LSU is all I was saying...Also in terms of Miller committing to LSU, you cant compare LSU's situation to Auburn's. LSU got a slap on the wrist compared to what would have happened to AU had the NCAA decision went against AU.

Guys stop overanalysing please. I did not say that PM committed to LSU because of the investigation. It is just a coincedence that he was a strong AU lean then picked LSU is all I was saying...Also in terms of Miller committing to LSU, you cant compare LSU's situation to Auburn's. LSU got a slap on the wrist compared to what would have happened to AU had the NCAA decision went against AU.

Not sure how "he just liked LSU better" is overanalyzing.  And, I think you can compare the LSU situation to AU, cheating is cheating.  One of the teams was caught cheating and the other wasn't...and lied to a recruit about it. 

Well I am glad you see it that way Blue but I and probably a lot of other people think it looked like he had something to hide. Especially because he laughed a little deviously when he gave his answer like he knew he got away with something. I am a master manipulator and unfoertunately used to lie quite a bit so i know how to manipulate words to my advantage. When i used to lie I would have answered the way Cecil did if i got away with something I was not supposed to do. Whether they were asked or not, answering the way Cecil did creates more questions and doubt than simply and calmly saying no.

Oh no, another lawyer?

Archived