DL switching to OL?

rollingtoomers

The last coaching staff was able to take DL and convert them to quality OL.  Do yall think we may as some already on the team that will make the switch, and if so, who are the most likely to make the switch?  I don't like the idea of having a RF starting at LT (Robinson), a RF starting at LG (Westerman), Soph at Center, RSoph at RG (Slake), and juco at RT (Latu).  To me that is a very young and inexperienced line...not to mention how much trouble we would be in if we had rely on a backup if anyone of those got hurt.

Well Dismukes will have a years experience and a year in the strength program so he should be much better. Also won't Sullen be back next year? I'm guessing Latu will be pretty much ready to roll once he gets to AU because why recruit a JUCO player that's only going to be here a year or two at most otherwise? I'm looking for a big improvement in the O line next year. My worry is that Malzahn takes Grimes with him if/when he leaves. :banghead:

We are fine at guard between mack, westerman, o'reilly, fariyike, and sullen.  Tackle is a little more thin robinson, latu, and slade would be the top 3.  I don't know if any of the guys we might sign could step in right away if need be.  But westerman and sullen could both play tackle if needed.

I don't really see how coverting a DL would help if the issue is experience. Wouldn't he be new to the position as well? I mean, they are 2 totally different positons. It seems like it would be counter-productive if the issue is soley experience. Now, if you are converting a DL to raise the talent level and have a year or 2 to spend with the guy, that would be a different scenerio imo. In other words, I don't see how converting a DL would satisfy our needs for the immeditate future.

i dont think we have any d=linemen that we dont need on the d-line. but it has worked in the past and im all for it if it helps but no candidates now.

I wouldn't worry too much about those freshmen and redshirt freshmen.  AJ is having a worse year than anyone on our O line.  He can't seem to get the job done for some reason.

I wouldn't worry too much about those freshmen and redshirt freshmen.  AJ is having a worse year than anyone on our O line.  He can't seem to get the job done for some reason.

He hasn't fully recovered from his broken ankle last year.

To the OP we are fine on the interior OL and the only DL we have that has the body type to play OT  is Blackson. IMO he is far to important to the DL to move in the hopes he is better than Robinson. FTR I think Robinson is going to be legit. The only reason he didn't play this year is he had only played OL 2 years in high school so his technique was a little behind and he needed to get a little stronger in the upper body. He has the agility, long arms and mean streak I like in an OT.

Isn't AJ Greene a converted D-lineman???

OL is just like the rest of the positions on our team. Just need time to flush the previous recruiting mishaps out and have room and time to bring more in. Our current staff has also missed on several tackle prospects the last two seasons, but has gotten good players in. We'll get there. I don't believe we have any available to move from D to O.

Archived