NOW does AU pull for Bama?

BamaGrad03

Now that there is a chance that we have multiple undefeated teams at years end...and BCS can go down to tenths of points...

Does AU pull against Bama in a non conference game?

Will AU fans?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pull for Bama whenever it can help Auburn. In this case, if we beat a Bama team with more wins rather than less wins, it helps us in the BCS (if we're still in the hunt by then). It's just common sense.

:au: Are you referring to SOS?  If so, I thought the BCS did away with that last year.  :au:

110354[/snapback]

They took it out because it's already taken into account, to some degree or another, in all the computer polls (and to a lesser degree, the human polls as well). The better your opponents are, the better your wins against them factor in the computer rankings.

:au: Are you referring to SOS?  If so, I thought the BCS did away with that last year.  :au:

110354[/snapback]

Its not SPECIFICALLY in the BCS formula...but the writers who vote for it see the SOS.

If bama beats USM and MSU (probable)...and lucks up against LSU or UT (prayer)...That will mean bama would be 7-3 rolling into the Iron Bowl. That would be another possible quality win on AUs resume.

Well,

1) I'm not counting on Auburn being undefeated...one game at a tiime and I just hope the Hogs don't jump us Saturday.

2) I have enough suspicion of bias in the polls to think that we could only jump over USC, OU, or Miami if they actually lose, so I don't think from Auburn's standpoint a few tenths of points will be the issue.

3) As I posted last week: "...I also do not want Bama going to a bowl game of any sort this year or next. Why? While I acknowledge that their extra games with Hawaii in the last two years did not violate the letter of any NCAA rules, I think they definitely violated the spirit of their post-season ban. In doing so, I felt they were thumbing their nose at the NCAA and all teams that play within the rules.'

and

4) It's still Bama! And sometimes your heart won't let you do something even if your head tells you it makes sense--like pulling for UAT.

I wont be pulling for UA or against them. What they do doesn't affect me. But if they win two in a row, at least my local newspaper will have a valid reason to ignore AU and only write about UA. (They'll ignore AU either way, so I really dont know that it matters.)

Oh, come on. A Bama team that kicks a FG to beat USM is not that much different from a bama team that loses to a ranked USM team. With the computer polls only 1/3 of the overall (and SOS only a minor component of the computer polls), it is inconceivable that bama will help us in any way. Now if Tennessee and LSU win out, and if UGA only has one more loss (guess who)....That will give us a fraction of a point. Bottom line is that the human polls matter. Either USC or OK need to loose, and we need to dominate our remaining games to close the gap with Miami (unless Petrino wants to help out AU again this Thurs).

3) As I posted last week: "...I also do not want Bama going to a bowl game of any sort this year or next. Why? While I acknowledge that their extra games with Hawaii in the last two years did not violate the letter of any NCAA rules, I think they definitely violated the spirit of their post-season ban. In doing so, I felt they were thumbing their nose at the NCAA and all teams that play within the rules.'

110376[/snapback]

Well there ya go! I never thought of it like that. Not only is it not enough to punish a bunch of players who had nothing to do with WHY we were being put on probation in the first place (coaches too)...but hell, lets wish some MORE ill will on them because they tried to REWARD these guys and maybe take the sting out a little...again...a bunch of guys who had NOTHING to do with us being in trouble. It wasnt their fault, but hey, lets hammer em some more.

Why the beef at the UH game? Everyone except some AU fans thought it was a very commendable move on our part to take an opportunity to "thank" the players. Hell, UH even PAID for it!

You telling me the AU administration wouldnt have done the same thing?

"Well, the rules say you can schedule a 13th game...and it sure would be nice to get some extra practice time in since these boys arent/cant go to a bowl. Hmmm where can we play?...oh wow, UH wants to PAY for us to go play them...but we sure dont want to thumb our nose at the organization that screwed us...oh no..."

It was well within the rules. Get over it.

To say NOW that given all the CRAP this group of guys has gone through...that you DONT want them to go to a bowl....simply because YOU dont like Alabama is just stupid and mean spirited. Its one thing to cheer against a team. Its another to wish ill will on young men simply because they chose to follow their heart to play for alabama.. ESPECIALLY when a smaller bowl effects AU zero.

To be honest, I never pull for Alabama. I just can't do it. If you heard the talk I hear from bama fans, you would not either. All of their talk of the past and their so called tradition just drives me insane. I hate alabama!!

I don't think it really matters whether or not I, or any AU Fans, "pull" for uat.

Sou Miss simply has better players and a better team and, thus, should win.

I'm not sold on southern miss. The nebraska win is losing its impressiveness.

You guys can paint it up anyway you want to. If you are pulling for bama to lose non conference you are pulling against AU's best interests.

Maybe bg shoulda asked who wasn't pulling for bama to lose? It's a lot to ask of some folks to pull for them to win. Not pulling for them to lose might be a compromise?

Yeah youre right SOS doesnt matter.

If AU beat a 7-4 bama team...it would look the same as beating a 4-7 team.

And if SOS doesnt matter...and USM goes undefeated, they should play for the title...against Boise State.

Don't use logic bg! We have some blind hatred going on here and it won't work.

All I'll say is for those of you who want southern miss to win, if they do win on sat. Small mind meet tiny victory :poke:

I could have mis-read an earlier post but I don't believe anyone said that they wished ill will on Alabama. The statement was that he didn't want them to go to a bowl game. I am actually glad that they played the last one against UH. Remember though that that last one didnt reward them at all!!!!

They were embarassed on National TV. If I remember correctly Alabama got it handed to them in that game on ESPN with no other football to watch and that game was carried Nationally.

Yeah youre right SOS doesnt matter.

If AU beat a 7-4 bama team...it would look the same as beating a 4-7 team.

And if SOS doesnt matter...and USM goes undefeated, they should play for the title...against Boise State.

110408[/snapback]

I can smell the sarcasm, but.....You're right.

Beating an 6-5 team (which is best case for bama now) is not a whole lot different from beating a 5-6 team.

SOS is no longer a factor like you're thinking of it. It's no longer a decimal based additive system. The change in BCS formula means that the SOS issue is no longer quantitative. It's about perception now. Are you saying that a win this weekend will make bama a good team? Humans can tell a good team from a bad. The only way for bama to help us is if they turn around and beat a real team (like LSU or Tenn). A win over USM is not impressive for an SEC team. Ever. Period.

Archived