NOW does AU pull for Bama?

BamaGrad03

But if we dont beat USM and DO beat a real team we dont get to help.

If we DO beat USM...we still have 2 shots at winning a big game.

Not wanting these kids to be rewarded with a bowl game BECAUSE we played against UH is wishing ill will on them.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Bama earns a bowl ..............then more power too them I would ove nothing more for them to make a bowl and meet either

A. UAB Who I belive would beat them or......

B. Troy State who again I belive would beat them.

But Like i said if they earn a bowl then great let them have one. With 70 different bowl game it is almost impossible not to go to one.

Who has uat beaten?  UAB/UAT would be a good game, I think.

110435[/snapback]

The TRUTH is, UAB would be a 14 point favorite over uat. THEY, too, have better players. ;)

Well there ya go! I never thought of it like that. Not only is it not enough to punish a bunch of players who had nothing to do with WHY we were being put on probation in the first place (coaches too)...but hell, lets wish some MORE ill will on them because they tried to REWARD these guys and maybe take the sting out a little...again...a bunch of guys who had NOTHING to do with us being in trouble. It wasnt their fault, but hey, lets hammer em some more.

It was well within the rules. Get over it.

When the NCAA finds a way to retroactively punish past coachs, players, and/or alumni I will be the first to endorse it. Until someone figures out how to do that, we're stuck with the system we have.

I think the purpose of punishment is to try to make sure the school-as a whole-is chastised painfully enough that they (including coaches, players, boosters, administrators, whoever) will not repeat the offenses, nor tolerate an atmosphere in which offenses might be repeated. Unfortunately innocents will be hurt. [i'm sure innocents, like perhaps their wives and young children, are hurt many times someone is sent to prison, but we don't call off the punishment because of it.] The players are there by choice and have to live with the consequences of their choice for good or ill.

I did, and still do agree with you that the Hawaii trips were "well within the rules". I'm just saying that scheduling these when it was the clear intention of the NCAA that Bama suffer post-season chastisement for their crimes does not send the message that "we acknowledge our crimes, penitently reform, and will never repeat them". Instead, at least to me, it seems to send the message that "we don't care what we did wrong, if we can find a loophole around paying our dues we will...and maybe we can find a loophole next time too".

[That being said, however, should I ever find myself in court, I will of course try to avoid as much pain as possible. I think once I was convicted and serving my time, though, the best way to avoid long-term pain would be to not piss off the warden and guards by looking for loopholes around their intentions.]

However, I will acknowledge that your argument regarding 'not punishing the innocent" at least is more reasonable than those who still insist Bama should have never been punished because Bama did nothing and was framed by Fulmer.

As for wishiing Alabama or opponent players ill-will:

I never wish for a player to be injured. I constantly wish for them to drop a pass, miss a tackle, fall down, jump off-sides, miss a kick, lose the game, and/or end up below Auburn in the polls. Is that wishing them ill-will? Obviously. Is that part of football? Also, obviously.

I'm going to give a commentary that may or may not belong on this thread, but damned the torpedos and full speed ahead.

I'm 54 years old. Before 1963, all I cared about was little league baseball. But my brother got a scholly to play football at AU in 63. I went down with my mother and him (my dad died when I was 8, so it was just us three) when we moved him into the athletic dorm. I was in awe of the 'big school' atmosphere' and, from that moment on, I've been an AU fan.

In the late 60s and 70s, all my friends were UA fans. When I got my first car, the first thing I got was an AU tag for the front. It lasted two days and was ripped off my car. I finally was able to afford another one, it lasted maybe a week. I didn't give up, and probably went thru 20 tags throughout my high school years. I was harrassed for being an AU fan. UA was winning and everyone couldn't understand why I was for AU. But I never wavered. AU was my school and I stuck by them. In 72 (punt, Bama, punt), before the game, Bear made the 'cow college' statement and that is all I heard. I heard moos everywhere I went. I heard about driving tractors to see the games, plowing the field up to plant crops after the game, just ignorant dribble from the UA fans. The 70s were tough. We could never win the 'game', but I never wavered. Finally Dye came in and we started winning some games, but the harrassement didn't stop. I still heard about the cow college, getting the cows off the field to play a game, how the only pretty girls at AU were visitors, etc. The Auburn jokes only got worse because UA felt the pressure. Same old harrassement from the arogant UA fans who would never let me forget that AU was inferior, and I was stupid for being an AU fan.

I'm into my 40th year as an AU fan. That is more than most of the posters on this board have been alive. You guys did not have to endure the constant harrassement from the 'typical Alabama fan' to we 'poor inferior uninformed' AU fans. The dislike and disdain for UA never goes away. I made the statement on another thread that even if it was tiddly winks, I didn't want UA to win. I think I put it 'any time, any day, any sport, any year', I wanted UA to lose. Now that they are down, I'm finally getting some respect from UA fans. Maybe not respect, but the harrassement has certainly stopped. If UA never wins another game, I dont care. Whether it hurts or helps AU, I dont care.

You dont forget 40 years of harrassement in just two or three years. I'm loving the plight of the bammers and could only hope it continues for many years to come.

WAR EAGLES Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'll root for any SEC team when they play an out-of-conference game. My hatred for Bama lies only in the general uninformed nature of their fans and the fact that many of their fans have absolutely no connection to the university...it seems they are Alabama fans because that's the name of the state they live in.

WDE

BCS is 1/3 AP, 1/3 coaches, and 1/3 computer.

The computer DOES use SOS to determine its rankings, as well as many other things.

SOS does play a factor, but it is not likely to determine much. An Alabama loss or an Alabama win won't move Auburn up or down a rank.

Who has uat beaten?  UAB/UAT would be a good game, I think.

110435[/snapback]

GREAT question Numa1...WHO has uat beaten?

Hurry bg hurry...... :big::big::lol:

Way to respond to a question with a question.

I didnt say everyone is high on bama because they are all world...i was STRICTLY asking about UAB.

UAB has beaten no one and I dont understand the hype.

I'm going to give a commentary that may or may not belong on this thread, but damned the torpedos and full speed ahead.

I'm 54 years old.  Before 1963, all I cared about was little league baseball.  But my brother got a scholly to play football at AU in 63. I went down with my mother and him (my dad died when I was 8, so it was just us three) when we moved him into the athletic dorm. I was in awe of the 'big school' atmosphere' and, from that moment on, I've been an AU fan.

In the late 60s and 70s, all my friends were UA fans.  When I got my first car, the first thing I got was an AU tag for the front.  It lasted two days and was ripped off my car. I finally was able to afford another one, it lasted maybe a week.  I didn't give up, and probably went thru 20 tags throughout my high school years.  I was harrassed for being an AU fan.  UA was winning and everyone couldn't understand why I was for AU.  But I never wavered.  AU was my school and I stuck by them. In 72 (punt, Bama, punt), before the game, Bear made the 'cow college' statement and that is all I heard.  I heard moos everywhere I went.  I heard about driving tractors to see the games, plowing the field up to plant crops after the game, just ignorant dribble from the UA fans.  The 70s were tough.  We could never win the 'game', but I never wavered.  Finally Dye came in and we started winning some games, but the harrassement didn't stop.  I still heard about the cow college, getting the cows off the field to play a game, how the only pretty girls at AU were visitors, etc. The Auburn jokes only got worse because UA felt the pressure. Same old harrassement from the arogant UA fans who would never let me forget that AU was inferior, and I was stupid for being an AU fan.

I'm into my 40th year as an AU fan.  That is more than most of the posters on this board have been alive.  You guys did not have to endure the constant harrassement from the 'typical Alabama fan' to we 'poor inferior uninformed' AU fans.  The dislike and disdain for UA never goes away.  I made the statement on another thread that even if it was tiddly winks, I didn't want UA to win.  I think I put it 'any time, any day, any sport, any year', I wanted UA to lose.  Now that they are down, I'm finally getting some respect from UA fans.  Maybe not respect, but the harrassement has certainly stopped.  If UA never wins another game, I dont care.  Whether it hurts or helps AU, I dont care. 

You dont forget 40 years of harrassement in just two or three years.  I'm loving the plight of the bammers and could only hope it continues for many years to come.

WAR EAGLES Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

110449[/snapback]

WHAT HE SAID!!! WDE to ya, AU4Ever. If uat goes 0-11 one year, I won't be satisfied. I'd want to see them go 0-11 2 years straight, then set the record for most consectutive losses. (Barfield survivors like me think like this.) I think it was back in 1980 or so, when the former Soviet Union national basketball team was touring the US & swung (swinged? swang?) through Tuscaloosa to play uat. I was literally torn thinking about who I should pull for. In the end, I was like: "Go Big Red (Army!)" :P

Enough with this nonsense. Like someone said, the SOS difference between a 6-5 team from a 5-6 team is negligible. Let's look at the Big Picture: nobody in their right mind is satisfied with the BCS and would rather have a meaningful playoff, right? O.K. then. The quickest way that happens is for the BCS to be exposed for the sham it is by having the season end with more than 2 undefeated teams still standing. It's been talked about since the BCS' inception and the sooner it happens the better because it then means no amount of annual tweaking of the BCS formula can "fix" the problem.

More power to the Golden Eagles -- all the way in 2004, baby!

Side note: how could any true AU fan root against the Golden Eagles?

Is SoMiss's QB back in action. I watched the (shouldn't have been) Overtime thriller and he looked like he pulled a hammy. If they dont have their QB, there should be nothing to worry about. Bama will win it rather easily. Even a run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, draw, run, run, offense in the SEC is better than a C-USA offense without a QB.

Let's look at the Big Picture..

Side note:  how could any true AU fan root against the Golden Eagles?

110564[/snapback]

Yes! In the big picture, it is in the end only a game. I'm thrilled with where Auburn is right now and will be happy simply to watch them take care of business one Saturday at a time. If we can beat Arkansas, as we should, without tripping up, I will not lose any sleep over what happens in any other game. If we still lose one or two (or even more) this year, it won't shake my faith in Auburn!

...'course I hadn't thought about the "Golden Eagle" connection--good point!

P.S. to AU4ever: I am of your generation-50 years old. Having spent my high school & Auburn years during Bear's era, and remembering Shug ( :thumbsup: ) and Barfield ( :thumbsdown: ), I feel your pain!

No way I can pull for UAT. I could care less if they ever win another game. What they do doesn't really matter. As long as Auburn wins! Of course I do hope the Golden Eagles pound them anyway. Without their starting Qb, Southern Miss. could have their hands full. They(SM) are obvioulsy more talented, and have more depth, but that doesn't always mean a win.

As for the Hawaii trip: UAT knew what they were doing. They may as well have told the NCAA to stick it up their @$$. So, I hope UAT gets to stay home for a couple of years to balance that arrogant action out. You had your "bowl game" the last two years and were embarassed in the last one. Good for you!

They(SM) are obvioulsy more talented

Please explain

We have the #4 defense in the nation.

Theirs is 64th

We have the #1 running game in the SEC. 13th in the nation

Theirs is 45th.

Their Rushing defense is 76th.

Their passing offense is 97th.

Our passing defense is 3rd in the nation.

We blow them out of the water in every statistical category. We are a 7 point favorite.

Oh and the best part? Our strength of schedule is 16th. Theirs is 62nd. (on cumulative opposition)

On teams weve played? (past opposition) ours is 65th theirs is 97th.

They beat a 3-2 Nebraska team who just lost by 60.

Tulane is 1-3

South Florida is 2-2

Houston is 1-5 with a loss to RICE! (houston took USM to OT)

So without Nebraska's 3-2 record...the teams USM has beaten have a combined record of 4-10.

Margin of victor? 8.6 (most of that because of a 18 point win over a team that lost by 21 to miss state)

Our margin of victory? 33.

Average ranking of the teams theyve beaten?

Us?

So the teams theyve beaten are on the same caliber as ours. They win by 8 a game, we win by 33.

Either we are better coached or have more talent. Which one is it?

i'm just jumping in, but bamagrad wouldn't you say you are a less talented team now than you were 3 weeks ago? you can't throw it back to the line of scrimmage anymore, and you just lost one of the top five backs in the sec. it sucks for both of those guys, and i hope both are okay (especially ray being a senior). the fact of the matter is the offense that you currently field is not the offense that racked up all those numbers. you still beat usm b/c well, it's usm.

Has anyone else noticed that BamaGrad03 spends a lot of time on this board. I have a few beliefs as to why.

1. All The :ua: boards suck (they actually do because I have a bama grad that works with me and he has agreed WEN ROCKS!!!!)

sidenote: :cheer::cheer: (I am trying to convert him) WDE!!!!!

2. Most Bama :homer: 's are not intelligent enough to run there own board

3. Most Bama :homer: 's dont even know about the internet yet (most likely reason)

4. AND MY FAVORITE: BamaGrad03 is actually a closet AU fan and he see's our board as his first step in the 13 step program to recovery.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :au::au::au:

WAIT!!!!!!!!

REASON 5.

HE WANTS TO MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE NOT PLOTTING AGAINST THE TIDE LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!!!!

Give it up man most people including the NCAA doesnt give a rats rear about :ua: (consider this statement step 2!!!)

I spend a lot of time over here because I've gotten to know a lot of guys who talk some great football.

Ive been around for like 3 years now...it was a rough start (remember the "BS" comments in the barn?) :) But even with the jawing back and forth with guys like WarTim, StatTiger, and good ole Chuck...ive found a place that i can talk about football...not just bama football. I live bama football all day long. its good to get some outside perspective from time to time. And those guys who first couldnt stand me because i am an argumentative ass...would probably say now that its better here with me around :)

Plus, someone has to be an ambassador to the other side so you guys cant say EVERY bama fan is crazy. And me, 24, bama bo etc....we try to do that.

And to answer the other question...i still think we are more talented. Our backup RB Ken Darby is still in the top 10 in the SEC and ill put him up against anyone on USM's staff.

To the contrary, bg is a welcomed addition to this board. He simply has a different opinion.

He blindly roots for his team. I can't blame him for that. I just think it is a bitter pill for him to swallow. To see the NCAA exact their pound of flesh is tough.

Archived