ARK fans thoughts on our D

88Tiger

I usually like to lurk over on opponents boards a little the week we play to see what they're thinking about the game with us...I found this one on Hogville...

"Auburn's defense is good, but still not as good as they have been the last two seasons. Last season they brought a group of players on defense we thrashed the previous year who were determined to play a better game in a role reversal from the previous year, which they did. Same players, different result all because of preparation and determinatin. They lost most of the Dline and LBs, many of whom are in the NFL now. They have had some good players without alot of experience step up and play big in some big games. I have been impressed with the way they have played, after starting the last couple seasons lack-luster to say the least. They are a dangerous team that has finally put their record in line with their ability.

What scares me a bit is that they have finally found a passing attack with Campbell under Tuberville. Auburn has always been a good rushing team, but now they seem to have found some balance - watch out. But it was against a Tenn team that wasn't ready for the game, and showed their ability last weekend by beating GA at home. I think this game will be very close. After watching the Tenn game this weekend and seeing clips of their game against Auburn, Tenn didn't show up and then blew up under the gun and without experienced leadership. Tenn lost that game much more than Aub won it. Aub is good, but not top 10.

As far as rankings, I think the Hogs could lose to the #1 and #2 teams in the country by a total of 2 points, and the voters would still leave them out of the top 25 with a 3-2 record. Ark doesn't receive any respect nationally, PERIOD. We have built a good program, but "experts" still see us as second (or third) tier, at best. As opposed to Bama, if we changed our logo to Bamas and were 3-2 and had played our schedule, they would be probably #20 (after they started the season ranked =)) because voters know and understand Bama tradition and they respect it.

My keys to the game are this:

1. How will the hogs react to the hostile environment at Jordan-O'Hare. It is a tough place to play - I know. Now that I have been to FL's cocktail party, I can say it is much harder to play in than Ben Hill Griffin. Against FL we had one bad (horrible, nasty, disgusting) quarter than eventually put the game out of reach. We have to keep this game close from the start to have a chance, and getting up early would take some of the crowd out of the game. Aub fan's are almost as quick as hog fans to turn on their team.

2. The hogs have to make Aub beat them through the air. Williams and Brown are too good to play with only 7 in the box. However, I don't think the Aub O-line is as good as either Texas or Bama, which gave the hogs plenty of trouble. Make Campbell make the plays and hope he can't handle it. Given his track record, I would say this is our best bet despite recent improvements in his game.

3. The hogs have to have a passing game. Every year Tuberville gets burnt by Jones, and I think that this year he will believe that his defense can handle the passing game, and concentrate on containing Jones running the ball by formation and scrambling out of the pocket by rush lanes and spying LBs. We must be able to throw the ball down the field to open up our offensive attack. I think we should cut loose and pass first - give them something different, which we have done against Tex and Bama. Put the pressure on Jones, the guy we all want it to be on anyways, and let his play decide the game (as it usually does as well). Simply put, Jones throws for 250 with one or less INT, the hogs win.

4. NO SPECIAL TEAMS ERRORS!!!!!! These are the most devasting plays in football. No blocked punts, no 20 yard punts, don't give up 20 yards a punt (like other games), and continue with the type of special teams coverage we have had all season (except on kick-offs, which must improve this week for the talented Aub kick-off return team).

5. Win the turnover margin. Something they haven't done in the big game yet this year, and it relates directly to letting Jones throw the ball more - he has to make good decisions and not try to make every play a TD. Take what they give you and move the ball down the field while you let your defense that has been struggling rest.

I see it being a close game after the Hogs survive an intial Aub surge. Can we win? I say if we win the turnover margin, pass the ball effectively, make them pass it, and have no special teams errors. . . .YES, Hogs 28-21. If any one of those falls out, nope - Aub 24-7. But I will be watching and enjoying each battle."

Here's the whole thread...hogville thread

HMMMM...He makes some excellent points, but I can't believe he doesn't think we are a top ten team. Let's just hope after this weekend he changed his mind.

WAR EAGLE AND BEAT THE HOGS!!!!!

110390[/snapback]

Ha! Everyone we play doesn't think we're a top 10 team...I love it!

Beat Matt Jones!!...errr...Arkansas!!

How will the hogs react to the hostile environment at Jordan-O'Hare

Two points.

1. Who is O'Hare?

2. I think our o-line is every bit as good as texas and bama.

This game always scares me. They always seem to throw rain on our parade. If we were playing like we did last year and beat them then we should beat them this year. Remember FLA was up by I think three touchdowns and sort of put it on auto. If we play like we have been playing and are not getting to cocky we win by 14.

"Auburn's defense is good, but still not as good as they have been the last two seasons.

There was a guy on Finebaum today that knows a thing or two about defenses and really has no fond feelings toward Auburn, "Brother" something or other, who feels this is the best Defense at Auburn in some time. Even "better then last year."

We shall see come Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium! WDE!!!!!!!!!

Let's see...

"Auburn's defense is good, but still not as good as they have been the last two seasons.

After the first 6-games, Auburn's defense allowed:

2002: 2073 yards-116 pts

2003: 1650 yards-74 pts

2004: 1502 yards-43 pts :no:

But it was against a Tenn team that wasn't ready for the game, and showed their ability last weekend by beating GA at home. I think this game will be very close. After watching the Tenn game this weekend and seeing clips of their game against Auburn, Tenn didn't show up and then blew up under the gun and without experienced leadership. Tenn lost that game much more than Aub won it. Aub is good, but not top 10.

What a :homer:

Tennessee wasn't ready for the game? Did it start too soon or something? He watched a few clips from the :ut::au: game and was able to make a sound opinion. :lol: By his logic, :ut: 24 point win over Auburn in 1999 was a fluke too because we later defeated UGA by 17 points that same season.

We have built a good program, but "experts" still see us as second (or third) tier, at best.

Could it be that Arkansas has averaged 4.5 losses a year under Houston Nutt?

Could it be that Arkansas has the 40th best win pct in the country since 2000?

Could it be that :arky: is 16-18 under Nutt against teams with 8-wins or more?

Could it be that he's never had a 10-win season?

:moon::moon::moon:

If they make Campbell beat them with the pass, we might could just change the name to Jordan-O'Hare. Cause there will be plenty of dangerous projectiles in the air completed for TDs.

War Eagle.

I believe that StatTiger put the smack down for everyone. Well said man!

I'll go one up on the previous pick. I believe Auburn goes up by 21 in the first half and wins by 28-30 points. I think that Arky is going to implode just like Tennessee did after they figured out we were the real thing.

WDE :au:

Typical porker. Has no clue and couldn't purchase one in the state of clinton.

Can't wait to show 'em what we are made of! :au:

I usually like to lurk over on opponents boards a little the week we play to see what they're thinking about the game with us...I found this one on Hogville...

"

What scares me a bit is that they have finally found a passing attack with Campbell under Tuberville.  Auburn has always been a good rushing team, but now they seem to have found some balance - watch out.  But it was against a Tenn team that wasn't ready for the game, and showed their ability last weekend by beating GA at home.  I think this game will be very close.  After watching the Tenn game this weekend and seeing clips of their game against Auburn, Tenn didn't show up and then blew up under the gun and without experienced leadership.  Tenn lost that game much more than Aub won it.  Aub is good, but not top 10.

Although I can agree with his keys to the game, the cat loses his credibility with the above statement. Granted, he admits that he saw only clips of Auburn-Tennessee, his claim that "Tenn didn't show up" is simply foolish. If Tennessee needed to show up for a game, it was against Auburn. Everything for Tennessee was on the line against Auburn. Tennessee got pushed around against Auburn last year too, and football players do not like getting pushed around like that. If anyone did not show up, it was Georgia last Saturday when Tennessee beat them.

Did Tennessee blow up under the gun against Auburn? Sure they did. However, the gun had to have been fired first, and it was Campbell that pulled the trigger. Auburn jumped on them early, and did not let up at all through the first half. Tennessee made mistakes, and Auburn capitalized. Good football teams cause their opponents to make mistakes. The TV announcers repeatedly used the word "dominance" during the Auburn-Tennessee game, and that is precisely what it was.

If Auburn is not top 10, then what the hell is?

Having played UGA and AU I think the AU defense is the best in the SEC right now. Our front 4 manhandled UGA but could do nothing with AU. AU is much better in man to man coverage than any team we have played thus far. 2 cents from an outsider!

This is a trap game of sorts. Auburn will win big, I feel, but the Hogs will play up for this one. They need a big win. But they will have to wait!

War Eagle!

What I don't think most people realize is that while this year's defense may not have as much individual talent as 2003, they are playing well as a unit, and that can't be overstated. I will say this though: I'm not totally convinced we're a Top 10 team either. I don't know why, maybe it's just the general pessimism that years of being an Auburn fan has bred into me, but I just can't believe we're really that good.

What I don't think most people realize is that while this year's defense may not have as much individual talent as 2003, they are playing well as a unit, and that can't be overstated. I will say this though: I'm not totally convinced we're a Top 10 team either. I don't know why, maybe it's just the general pessimism that years of being an Auburn fan has bred into me, but I just can't believe we're really that good.

110559[/snapback]

??? Not a top ten team? Name nine other teams you think are playing better than AU right now -- you can leave off LSU & UT, obviously.

I do like what you said about this team playing as a unit. It's true. The no-name defense, the unselfish play of the offense, and the big play special teams are very evident. Enjoy this. This is a true team we're witnessing. :au: WDE

I do like what you said about this team playing as a unit.  It's true.  The no-name defense, the unselfish play of the offense, and the big play special teams are very evident.  Enjoy this.  This is a true team we're witnessing.  :au: WDE

110562[/snapback]

Anyone remember a 1972 NO-NAME defense that took the NFL's Miami Dolphins to an undefeated season?

Never underestimate a team playing as a unit!

The hogs will show up and take their chances, looking forward to another win at Auburn.

Go Hogs.

110609[/snapback]

come on man you can do better than that

Archived