Jason Campbell vs. Matt Jones

StatTiger

I've previously boasted about JC's passing numbers on 3rd down this season, so here is a comparison with Matt Jones.

Jason has posted some great numbers but his most amazing accomplishments have come on 3rd down. This is the reason for our great success on offense because he's now delivering on the money downs.

For the season, here are his passing numbers on 3rd down:

25-39-1-472yds-8tds / 228.33 QB rating :cheer::cheer:

Here are his passing numbers on 3rd down against LSU and UT:

10-17-0-149yds-3tds / 190.68 rating :cheer::cheer:

I cannot explain it, but he has been a better QB on 3rd down than 1st down. :eek

In comparison, Matt Jones has posted the following numbers on 3rd down:

16-28-1-196yds-0td / 108.80 rating :blink:

Here are MJ's numbers against Tex, Ala and UF:

10-19-0-130-0td / 110.11 rating.

While researching Matt Jones' passing numbers on 3rd down, I found that Arkansas attempted screen passes to their backs on 9 of 28 pass attempts ( 32% ). I like our chances in obvious passing situations compared to Arkansas.

:au: 34 :arky: 23

I've watched Matt Jones play at Ark for the 10 or 12 years he's been their QB. Although the numbers speak for themself, he has some intangibles that make him dangerous. He is sneaky fast. He is as illusive as any good RB. He has never impressed me as a great passer, but he is more than adequate. In effect, if you stop him, you basically stop Arky.

On the other side of the coin, AU is no longer one dimensional. Campbell is having a break out year. He's running the offense like we've always thought he could. Mainly, Borges is bringing out the star in him. If it comes down to the two team's QB having to win the game with their arm, my money is on Jason.

I said this on another board, and I'll reiterate it here: While both run their offenses well, I would say that Matt is a better playmaker, and is a more dangerous player, the kind you have to more or less design your whole gameplan around. Even having said that, would I trade Jason for him right now? No.

I don't think many teams have been able to stop Matt Jones. But you really dont have to stop him, just limit him and get in his face. Don't let him run around and find that lone receiver down the field. Arky doesn't have a ball control offense. You rattle Jones and your chances of winning are very good.

I like our matchup with our DB's against Jones. I also wouldn't mind seeing Jones get blind-sided by Eddins either. Dansby sure ate his lunch last year. :)

i love matt jones (when he's not playing us). love him. he's one of the most enjoyable players to watch i've ever seen. but i'd still take jason campbell. we need a passer in this offense and matty ain't it. jason is a MUCH better player for us than matt jones ever could've been.

and yeah, matt really killed us last year engineering an impressive 7 points. he killed us twice, and we shut him down once.

Archived