Am I insane here?

wesfau

I was just over on BamaMag and a poster made the comment that Bama is the best rushing team in the conference. I refuted that assertion by saying that the Bama rushing statistics are skewed since they've all but abandoned the forward pass.

Then I, predictably, got jumped for being an Auburn fan and not bowing to the mighty Tide.

Why don't you really rile them up by pointing out that their numbers also might be inflated because their starters are staying in the games longer due to the closeness (or being behind in) most of their games. As opposed to our situation where in 4 of the 6 games we've played, the starters began coming out in the 2nd or mid-3rd quarters. That'll piss'em off. ;)

Why don't you really rile them up by pointing out that their numbers also might be inflated because their starters are staying in the games longer due to the closeness (or being behind in) most of their games.  As opposed to our situation where in 4 of the 6 games we've played, the starters began coming out in the 2nd or mid-3rd quarters.  That'll piss'em off.  ;)

110661[/snapback]

Ah, good stuff. :thumbsup:

southlink,

That picture of UGA is great...what a dawg!

We've got the best airborne mascot in the country and you guys have the best four legged humper in the land. Thought I would die laughing when UGA tried to take a bite out of AU's Robert Baker a few years ago. LOL.

Bama playing the starters in games that have been put out of reach is what has gotten the star players hurt. Of course injury can happen anytime but as Bama can see now playing your backups as much as possible allows them to get ready for the thing if called upon. I am sure if we played our starters the entire game our stats would be through the roof with Carnell and Ronnie 1st and 2nd in rushing. The injuries normally boil down to strength and conditioning for the most part. I saw where :ua: made all the players take Yoga this year <_<

Ah yes...logic...grasshopper.

Well, Id argue...at this point, that Alabama IS the best rushing team in the conference. Considering our Oline has proven to be the best run blocking oline in the SEC...that carries a lot of weight.

To say our numbers are beefed up because our passing is down doesnt make sense. We were getting 240-250 per game before brodie went down. When 8-9 are in the box and you STILL get 5+ yards per carry, that says a LOT to me.

We havent been keeping our starting running backs in the game late. Darby usually comes in on the second series. Ray got hurt in the 3rd Q when we were only up by 3 points.

Statistically Ray and Ken have proven to be equal to AU. And we also have the threat of Tim Castille as well. Tim has proven very useful in goal line situations...hell our 4th string tailback was the leading rusher of the wcu game.

We were getting 240-250 per game before brodie went down.

110719[/snapback]

Against what teams? Sucks that Brodie had to go down but that stat isn't saying much...

We were getting 240-250 per game before brodie went down.

110719[/snapback]

Against what teams? Sucks that Brodie had to go down but that stat isn't saying much...

110720[/snapback]

Against teams no worse than La Monroe, La Tech, Miss St, and the Citadel.

Do you really want to talk about the rushing stats of AU against the two good teams youve played?

Youre "bama hasnt played anybody" line is tired.

Im not saying Ray and Ken are better RBs than Carnell and Ronnie. Im saying CW and RB arent so much better that it outweighs our line play and FBs

Its not hard to be the leading rushing team when you only throw 12 times a game and when your opponents average rushing defense is 189 yards per game.

Back to reality.

Auburn has beaten 2 top ten teams...I don't have to brag about passing yards against Ole Miss and Western Carolina and Utah St...who cares?

And the fact that our runners DID NOT reach 100 yards in either of our top ten wins can be viewed as a GOOD thing. That just proves that our offense isn't one-dimensional like it was last year. It's actually a GOOD thing that we don't live and die by our runners, unlike uat.

Do you think teams are going to brace for a passing attack when they prepare for uat?

Look BG its as simple as this...Alabama cant throw a damn pass, so they run every down. Therefore, y'all might have a little bit more rushing yards than most in the conference. Why you ask? Because all of the other teams in the SEC throw the ball. Now alabama is in a bind, and thats understandable. Your team does not have a qb capable of leading a team in the SEC (excluding Brodie of course).

I guarentee you any team in this conf. will give you the rushing yards y'all have on a golden platter....just as long as y'all keep up the "Lets dont throw at all" theme going on. To win and go far, it takes a balance. Auburn found that out last year...remember what happened to us running all the time? It became to predictable...and we lost because of it.

Best rushing team in the SEC...give me a break. Im sure if Tenn., Auburn, Georgia, Florida, or even Arkansas ran 85% of the time, they would be calling themselves the best rushing team in the SEC. If your linemen are so great, and the best in the SEC...why dont y'all set up a pocket, and throw the ball a little?

BG, my only point thus far was that Bama has played more close games, or games where they were behind than Auburn has. Thus, your starting offensive line and backfield were in the game longer and later in games than ours has been. No one is arguing that the numbers are different from what they are. Statistically, you're the best right now.

But those stats belie the reality that Auburn has taken its starters out early in four of the six games we've played. If we left Caddy and Ronnie in to get all the mop up yards against a beaten down Citadel, La Tech, La Monroe, or MSU defense, I'll bet those stats would look a lot different.

That's all I've been trying to say, but apparently words of logic can't penetrate the kool-aid induced stupor over at bammerrag.com.

Numa you obviously missed my point.

I did not say we were a better team...didnt bring in win loss records. The question was who has the best running GAME in the sec. Not why stats are what...or situational circumstances.

I pointed out VERY VERY good facts to support my argument. AU is more balanced than Alabama. Sure. AU will win more games also. Our passing sucks right now. Does that mean that AU has a better running game because they are more balanced? No.

Again, if you KNOW we are going to run...why cant you stop it? in any other situation you'd say the run is easier to defend when there is not pass game to keep you honest. But now that it proves bama has a good running game, you flip it and say that's because we run it so much.

If that were the case, why do we still average over 5 yards per carry?

Its just another example of Auburn fans being instantly offended that UA fans would have the AUDACITY to suggest they are better than them in ANYTHING.

Answer me this. Do you think AU's OLINE and fullbacks are better? And explain to me how their running game is better. And dont say look at the record either...you know thats crap.

At least I back my points up with more than supposition.

Titan i see what you are saying, but Id have to disagree. Weve had 2 close games, you guys have had 1. But in the UT game Carl Stewerat got his first touch with 2 mins left in the game. RB handled it on the drive before that.

Against UK, A Johns ran behind the entire second team OLine for like the entire 4th q.

Against WCU A Johns was our leading rusher. (all behind 2nd and 3rd teamers)

Against Ole Miss our last 2 drives saw Tim, Ray, and Ken all with 9 even 10 in the box.

I do see where you have an argument. Stewart has gotten a ton of touches so far. And I think (obviously) your two backs are better...but i think our oline blocks better as do our fullbacks. and tims ability puts us over the top.

Bama's running game is not the best in the SEC period....I dont know whats hard to understand...Y'all just run on every play.....wow.

If y'all had the best running game in the the conference...I guarentee bama would be undefeated right now. Lets see how y'all do verse a real opponent, like a tenn. or lsu.

Who has Bama played that is any good whatsoever at stopping the run? Western Carolina? Utah State? St. Mary's School of the Blind?

Kentucky is dead last in Rush Defense, Ole Miss is 3rd worst, Arkansas at #8.....

Let me see these stats after Auburn, TN, and LSU

Yes, UAT has the highest rushing numbers. But when their offense HAD to come through, it failed. Bad. Hence the L's to USC and Ark.

This thread will be forgotten after UAT play's LSU, UT, and Auburn.

Here is a STAT for the uat folks to discuss amongst themselves. :D

IF Brandon Cox had thrown enough passes to qualify in the NATIONAL qb ratings, he would LEAD THE NATION, that's right #1 in the NATION, in completion %.

Go for it ! ! ! :big:

p.s. Anyone that thinks for a minute that any Defensive Coordinator in the SEC would rather face the uat O-line and rbs than those of AU, well, I got some swamp land in Arizona for sale. :)

What a world................ :lol:

Archived