I HATE ALABAMA

AURainman

I apologize to BG03, tidefan_24, bama bo, etc. This isn’t directed at you or your kind. You know, the level-headed Bama fans that TRULY are fans. But the truth must be told.

I HATE ALABAMA

My story of this weekend is pretty simple. I live in Lexington. For those who don’t know, that just so happens to be where :uk: plays. I had some friends of mine (level-headed types) who happen to attend U of A. They came up to visit before the game and we had a good time. My wife and I bought a ticket to the game on the street for 10 a piece. We met some nice Bama fans who talked with us for a little while and we were having a good time. I went into the stadium thinking, “You know what, I don’t care WHO wins this game. I just want both teams to have a good game.” My wife’s jaw dropped when I said that. She was OBVIOUSLY going to pull for UK. She was right. I don’t know why my mind was so poisoned.

Actually, maybe I do know why my mind was so poisoned. I used to live in Birmingham. I grew up with my dad an AU grad and my mom an AU mom (married my dad out of high school, didn’t go to college). She actually was an AU convert from her earlier days as an Alabama fan. She likes to tell the story of how her elementary school teacher MADE her class learn Alabama’s fight song growing up in Birmingham. My extended family is about 75/25 Bama/AU. I ALWAYS caught all the jokes from my uncles and aunts that just wanted to rub their victories in. It sucked. Living in Birmingham as an AU fan has ALWAYS been tough.

Well, then, I took a job up here in Lexington, KY. I was removed from all the bitterness and egotism that surrounded the AU/UofA rivalry. I hadn’t had a run-in with a Bama fan in a while. I had become numb to my bitterness.

Well, we left the game at halftime to get ready for the AU/LaTech game down at a local sports bar. (Why buy ESPN gameplan when you can watch it for free!!) We went to the bar and had a great first half. Right around halftime, the Bama fans started pouring in to the sports bar fresh off of the 8 billion to 7 drubbing of UK. Immediately, the mood in the bar changed. Every time we scored a touchdown, I had to endure TAUNTING from the Bama fans of “How ‘bout those War Chickens!!” One genius actually had the nerve to yell, “Well, THAT’S real classy. Tuberville’s still throwing down the field up 45-7!” Of course there was 14:57 left in the game and Brandon Cox was under center, but that didn’t matter to the nameless Bama fan. No, we just were classless jerks for practicing our backups in the offense. We then endured the cruel eyes of Bama fans who objected to our celebrations with regards to the UGA/UT game. We could directly benefit from UGA’s failures, but yet their pure hatred for all things Orange was the only real justifiable reason to cheer for/against a team.

My wife and I left the sports bar disgusted by the mullet-wearers who ruined our good time. (We were the only AU fans in the place). Isnt it just fitting that when Bama comes to town the whole town turns to crap! I told my wife, “I really wish they hadn’t been there.” Then it dawned on me. I was actually happy they were there. My fire had died out. I didn’t hate Bama anymore. I actually felt SORRY for them. SORRY FOR THEM!!!!! My wife and I both agreed afterwards. We were happy they were there.

So from here on out, I need not forget.

I HATE ALABAMA!!!!

But MUCH more importantly, “ITS GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER!!!”

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rainman, as a one and a half year resident of North Carolina, I can understand your outlook. I. too, found myself half heartedly "pullin'" for "state" teams in a foriegn land. Then, I came home for a week at Thanksgiving and read the bamaham news each morning. (It was with GREAT joy that I watched Lawyer Tillman run the reverse in '86.) :P

I am also glad that you offered up a disclaimer. There are a few uat fans that are easy to tollerate. (The folks you mentioned are certainly in that group.)

The rest of the mullet nation should be given the "respect" that THEY earn.

(Something less than ZERO.)

WAR EAGLE.....One at a time. :au:

AURainman....I grew up in B'ham also and I know what you mean. It's tough when the Brombergs, Singtons, Brunos, control things. I sometimes chuckle when I read about some bama fan complaining about the refs. man they Owned the refs at Legion Field in those days. But my life in B'ham was great during my days going to Auurn since we beat them all four years I was in school. :D:D

What a breath of fresh air!!! It made me think back about my own Bamar fan Daddy...and all those days when Bear was cheating his way to victory over us and everybody else in the SEC!

"The things my old dad would say to me...like...

'What are you doing in the bathroom night and day? Get out there and give someone else a chance!'" (from "Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother")

But seriously folks...I had almost started to feel bad for them too...ALMOST. :big:

Ok, you're talking about bammer fans high on their win over Kentucky and because they call Auburn "War Chickens" you get upset?

Maybe living in B'ham has made me numb to it all too. But in the past couple of years, it's just funny to hear bammers try to talk smack. I mean, just funny, simple as that. And it's not like I've heard a lot of it lately...they haven't had much to gloat about since Fran ditched them.

I guess I'm just amazed that you let them upset you so bad...

While I do appreciate it, me BG and bama bo are guests on this board and we shouldn't expect you guys to apologize before stating your opinions.

While attending the South Carolina game this year, I had to leave my seat and move to the Northeast ramp to watch that game because of about 20 bama(I'd disagree, but they had on bama shirts) that was sitting near me. I knew they would leave as soon as the score got out of hand, but I wanted to stay and support my team, so instead of starting a brawl, I just moved.

I do wonder if those bama fans that ruined your experience were from Kentucky, because most of our idiots don't travel for road games. They sit at home and curse at Shula through the television. After that, they go post on Tidefans.com.

Rainman I wouldnt let that bother you too much. You said yourself you have levelheaded UA friends. Ive been in sports bars in bham and miss only to hear AU fans cause a scene.

But i know too many au fans who ARENT like that to let them bother me.

If you tailgate and go to a bama game...youll be suprised how good of a time it is. But every single game there is some stupid bama fan i want to club for saying stuff ...or booing the other team etc.

I sat in the AU section for the 96 iron bowl and it wasnt a pretty sight. Sat in the USC section two weeks ago and had a great time. I think AU brings the worst of of UA fans and vice versa.

AURainman... I too was a resident of Bamaham for about 17 years, like you I know all to well the harassment of the bama fans. Everyone talks about when bear was around how bad it was, I will let everyone in on a secret it got NO better to be in school and be an Auburn fan after bear was dead and gone. Teachers still pick at the students who happen to be fans of AU, for example my High School principal was a UA fan and the week of the Iron Bowl ALL uat fans were allowed to dress up in support of their team with face paint, hats, etc... Now all week the uat fans were allowed to wear what ever they wanted but for the two boys who had on AU hats that friday. It was a Week of after school detention, all for wearing a AU hat since all the uat fans could wear theirs all week. It was single minded crap like this that always made me dislike everything to do with UAT. No disrespect to BamaGrad, and others who I enjoy talking to and reading post from on this board, they are class acts and true fans. But it was from my years in Bamaham too that I grew to down right despise any and everything :ua: . Much like you I have family who are UAT fans and for them I feel some what sorry that they are having to see their team at a low point but as fas as the UAT nation is concerned I think after all the years of crap from them (cheating, harassment, etc) this is only the start of what I feel like they deserve to endure. WDE! :au:

Wife and I were in Alaska this summer. We were on a tour of Danali Park and I was wearing my Auburn cap. At one overlook, another couple came over and said they were UA fans. Trying to be concilatory, I said, "Well, Bama has had problems of late, but they are too established not to come back."

You would not believe the look that came over the woman's face. She launched into a tirade, bringing up Bowden's alleged "hush money" and slamming everything Auburn.

I smiled, walked away, and avoided them the rest of the day. Why should I roil my blood over a hopeless situation?

Correction: No one RUINED my experience. They just made a nice trip to the sportsbar annoying and troublesome. And believe me, I've seen worse. MUCH worse. (I've been to all stadiums in the SEC w/ exception to USC and to Syracuse, SouthernCal, CapitalOne Bowls, etc.). I just thought I'd provide you all with how little it takes to awaken make my blood boil again over Iron Bowl. And, as usually is the case, the words in my story cant begin to describe the "over the top" attitudes these particular fans had.

I can relate to everything you guys are talking about.

I grew up about an hours drive from Tuscaloosa in the 70's.

I can still hear all the crap I had to take off of people growing up.

My wife, who could care less about sports, gets mad at me when Somebody says something derogatory about Auburn. I've always been the type to stand up for what I believe in.

She works for a guy who is a big bammer booster, has pictures all over his office.

Recently I had to go there, and one of her co-workers came ALL THE WAY across the parking lot to start some Crap-just because I had an AUBURN tag on my truck. Well, being the polite guy I am, I told her to kiss my :moon: !

Then another situation here in town during our MULE DAY last year:

I had a AUBURN shirt on, and I stpped to buy something to drink from this lady at a venders stand. Well, seeing my shirt, she started her drival. She then shows me her bammer ring she had on. "Now you've gotta be impressed by THAT!" she said.

I looked at it and said "M'am, that may mean alot to you, but it don't impress me any more than one of those Mule turds", smiled and walked away! :P

One genius actually had the nerve to yell, “Well, THAT’S real classy. Tuberville’s still throwing down the field up 45-7!” Of course there was 14:57 left in the game and Brandon Cox was under center, but that didn’t matter to the nameless Bama fan.

'bama fans are just getting a taste of what to expect when CTT and the Tigers return to Jordan Hare -West, and Brandon Cox is taking snaps during mop up duty, long after Carnell, Ronnie and Jascon have earned their way to the side lines, enjoying a lopsided victory over the Tahd.

:P bammers!

"Now you've gotta be impressed by THAT!" she said.

I looked at it and said "M'am, that may mean alot to you, but it don't impress me any more than one of those Mule turds", smiled and walked away! :P

The difference would be, asuming this was some type of uat championship ring,......

There are more of the mule "droppings" where that one came from! :big:

It's probably easier for younger fans to be able to pull for both schools in certain situations but I can assure you it's not for me. I was at Auburn during a time when virtually nobody expected to beat Bammer. They had their foot on our neck for 10 years or more with an occasional win scattered out through the other 10 years. During that time, this state was filled with "those fans" discussed earlier who dished out the snide remarks, hate filled articles and conversation, and displayed a pompous, arrogant attitude toward everybody else, most of all Auburn. A few of "Those types" have survived although the younger generation has had to actually live with some defeats and rough times in the Evil Empire. Yes, Bryant was a great coach, probably the greatest of them all, but know what? He was also an arrogant, pride filled man who loved the limelight and abviously hated Auburn. THAT is enough reason not to admire him for any other reason than his coaching, and I don't! Even good ole Coach Jordan once said of Bryant, "He is a vain SOB." For those of you who doubt, get the book "Bear" by Underwood and read it and it will remove all doubt and make you mad as hell. Well, enought of that, but hell no I won't forget those times and I hope to NEVER return to them. Our time is NOW and I say GRAB it and HOLD onto it!

Hey guys. This is my first post, but it only felt appropriate to post on this subject. You see I am from and currently reside in Tuscaloosa. I understand all of the negative feelings towards the bammars. Starting this season all I heard was "We'll be undefeated going into the Tennessee game". All I could do is smile.

Now I have to live with the "If Brodie was playing" statement that preceeds everything that comes out there mouth. I have tried to express empathy with there Brodie Situation, but there arrogance won't allow them to respond intellegntly. They come back with responses like "no big deal Guillon is better anyway. Brodie is just starting because of his father." If I ever began to feel sorry for them I just take a walk around my apartment complex with my :au: hat on and I am back to reality.

The only thing I like about Alabama is watching them waller in mediocrity. I have enjoyed watching all their fans take pride in moral victories (i.e. Oklahoma, Tenn., and Ark last year), explain away losing seasons with muliple excuses, whine about probation, get dumped by a coach they all originally claimed to love, fire a drunk for going to strip clubs, hire a couple of homers who could be the worse coaches of all time (Shula and Dubose can both fit this criteria), spend more time attacking Tenn than taking care of business on the field, and generally become a second tier SEC team at best over the last few years.

Could'nt have happened to a more arrogant well deserving bunch of mullets!

Hey guys. This is my first post, but it only felt appropriate to post on this subject. You see I am from and currently reside in Tuscaloosa. I understand all of the negative feelings towards the bammars. Starting this season all I heard was  "We'll be undefeated going into the Tennessee game". All I could do is smile.

Now I have to live with the "If Brodie was playing" statement that preceeds everything that comes out there mouth. I have tried to express empathy with there Brodie Situation, but there arrogance won't allow them to respond intellegntly. They come back with responses like "no big deal Guillon is better anyway. Brodie is just starting because of his father." If I ever began to feel sorry for them I just take a walk around my apartment complex with my  :au: hat on and I am back to reality.

110829[/snapback]

This is classic Bammer. My friend's brother is a UA grad and is now back in Tuscaloosa for graduate school. Last time I was in Auburn for a game (Citadel), my friend was talking to his brother on the phone and I heard him say the same thing..."doesn't matter...Gullion is better anyway." I don't understand how the football gods can allow something like that to be said and not just have the person's head explode.

And let them call us "War Chickens." Obviously they don't realize that the War Eagle isn't our mascot but is rather the object of our fight song and a cheer. On top of that, they'll look doubly stupid as they get beat by the "Chickens" and not the "Eagles" this November.

WDE :au:

I am one of those "younger" fans and am a student at AU. I have hated Alabama as long as I can remember, and with each new excuse that I hear from my friends such as "well no big deal Guillon's awesome" (these are the same people that said that Brodie was the key to their season early in the year) I realize how much I will always hate them. That hatred has only grown more since I have lived on the Plains.

They blame Fat Phil for them being on probation, which is another thing that I hate about them. They can NEVER accept their fate, or admit when they were wrong. Accept it bammers, you cheated and got caught. A friend called me Saturday night and said, "Roll Tide, what a great win that was." I told him, wow, yall beat an awesome :uk: team, must be a sign of the resurrection of the Bear. While anything can happen in the Iron Bowl, I can't wait to see what this team can accomplish on 11/20. But guys, get ready, even if we win the NC this year, all we will hear is "We still have 10 more than you!" or something about it being a fluke. Gotta love those people who live in the past, but you also have to respect those decent ones of them that are true fans. War Eagle!

They blame Fat Phil for them being on probation, which is another thing that I hate about them. They can NEVER accept their fate, or admit when they were wrong.

Guess you are TOO young to remember AU fans blaming Bama for their last probation...and the one before that...and the one before that...etc ;)

They blame Fat Phil for them being on probation, which is another thing that I hate about them. They can NEVER accept their fate, or admit when they were wrong.

Guess you are TOO young to remember AU fans blaming Bama for their last probation...and the one before that...and the one before that...etc ;)

110910[/snapback]

Well, if the shoe fits...

The difference is, there are many Bama fans who feel their team didnt cheat AT ALL and UT was just out to get them. Coaches hiring lawyers doesn't help to pacify the hatred in this situation either.

Thanks for all the luvin' guys  :blink:   :huh:

110794[/snapback]

GROUP HUG!!!!!! :P

Archived