advantages/disadvantages?

mcgufcm

i just read how the same stuff is regurgitated during game week so i was thinking of something new. what are the matchups that we are going to take advantage of (or get burned by) specifically against the hogs this week?

i think the loss of tubbs at RT for the hogs is a double edged sword for us. it really gives our speed rush guys (mcclover, gunn, and groves) on that side a major advantage to lineup across from a first time starter, but that also means those guys (particularly mcclover) are more liable to run themselves out of position going after the big sack. i think whitt will have his guys play disciplined, advantage us.

the hogs play a 4-4 to give help against the run (not that it's really helped against the good teams) which should give plenty of room for our blossoming receivers. jason is hot as a fire cracker, advantage us against their alignment.

jones is a big stong guy who is probably the most likely guy to make us pay for the lack of size at linebacker. if he gets out of the pocket and into the second tier, he's going to make someone look foolish. given that he's done that almost every game of his 4 year career, advantage hogs on broken plays.

those are just some of the matchup things that i think will go a long way to determining the game (along with of course the staples like turnover margin and field position). any body got some other specifics they are excited about this week?

I think Auburn has the advantage in every aspect of the game except broken plays. Like someone said earlier this week that Nutt probably prays for broken plays every snap when they are on offense. I think that is where Matt Jones really excels. He manages to make something out of nothing and that makes him special.

If we can contain him, we should beat them soundly.

An advantage for us is that we basically have to base our whole defensive gameplan around one player. Arkansas has to focus on our whole offense. They try key in on Carnell like many others have tried this year and Campbell will burn them deep.

Matt Jones is very capable of using our speed against us. Let's hope our guys play a disciplined game and we should be alright.

Hopefully some of the people who have been following football longer than me will chime in with some other thoughts.

i just read how the same stuff is regurgitated during game week so i was thinking of something new. what are the matchups that we are going to take advantage of (or get burned by) specifically against the hogs this week?

i think the loss of tubbs at RT for the hogs is a double edged sword for us. it really gives our speed rush guys (mcclover, gunn, and groves) on that side a major advantage to lineup across from a first time starter, but that also means those guys (particularly mcclover) are more liable to run themselves out of position going after the big sack. i think whitt will have his guys play disciplined, advantage us.

the hogs play a 4-4 to give help against the run (not that it's really helped against the good teams) which should give plenty of room for our blossoming receivers. jason is hot as a fire cracker, advantage us against their alignment.

jones is a big stong guy who is probably the most likely guy to make us pay for the lack of size at linebacker. if he gets out of the pocket and into the second tier, he's going to make someone look foolish. given that he's done that almost every game of his 4 year career, advantage hogs on broken plays.

those are just some of the matchup things that i think will go a long way to determining the game (along with of course the staples like turnover margin and field position). any body got some other specifics they are excited about this week?

111188[/snapback]

Good thoughts. One point, though, Coach Whitt coaches the LBs not the DLine.

I don't want to say Jones is the only guy on the team that can beat us. LSU said that about our backs and JC beat them. Arkansas is a talented team, they're just very young. The ends are going to have to play disciplined ball and keep Jones in the pocket. If he gets outside we're going to have a hard time against him. If we can contain and force him to step up into the pocket we'll make him play away from his strengths. I'd much rather try and force Jones into being a pocket-passer. This game will test the strength of our D.

Archived